Car Wont Start!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok guys i went to move my car today and it wouldnt start. it sounded like it was trying, but it just wouldnt do it. i turn the key and it just rumbles a little bit but never starts, now i hear the starter winding up, so i dont think its the starter. also i dont think it was the battery either since i have my brother try to jump it with his car, still no luck. now the car was sitting for about a week and a half without being ran, it has 3/4 tank of gas, so i know its not that. during the time that it sat, we had a huge snow storm. i wasnt driving the car so i didnt bother clearing it off. well by today all the snow had melted off of it and the damn thing just wont start. i get a check engine light when i put the key in the "on" position. can an engine just freeze from being cold for a long time? im at a loss. any help/tips will be appreciated. thanks.

p.s.- this is my other CRX, its a 90 Si with about 130k mi on the stock D16a6 if it helps. thanks.

bump, come on guys, i need to get this car running, could the battery just die? i know theres nothing really wrong with the car, ive driven it for a year now with no problems, and now for just sitting there for a week and a half, no one touched it, it jus sat there, and it refuses to start. someone please help.

check and see if your throwing codes since your check engine light is on and if you are check with your manual and see what's wrong.....have u checked the coil....... :unsure:

If it sat,and the weather was freezing it could be a dead battery,mine did the same thing.

you said you tried to jump it and it still wouldn't start right? if so, then it is not your battery or your car would have started from jumping. check your dist. cap and rotor, sounds like ignition problem to me.

but i dont understand how it could be that. i mean i didnt touch the car, and it ran perfect before i parked it. it wasnt touched and now all the sudden it doesnt work? im at a loss.

ok i live in calgary alta canada cold shit happens all the time as the distributer gets used the seal dries out and cracks and allows mosture to enter the cap this happens when it gets cold and wet take off the cap and clean it with wd-40 the clean the dist with electrical comp spray let it dry reassemble and start if it dosent start check for sprk

Hey i had the same problem with my crx and it ended up being the ignition... the part you put your key in and turn... it was bad and wouldnt allow the car to turn over... it was like 40 bucks and you could do it yourself... if not that try your main relay.. It is on driver side behind the dash where your little pull down storage area is in the dash! I had the same problem, replaced both of those and car started, along with a new battery to play it safe~ let me know if any of this works or email me ..

It's kind of hard to tell from your post, was the starter spining the engine or was the starter tring to engage but not doing anything.

like when i turn the key, i can hear the car coughing and trying and i hear a high pitch spinning sound, which i assume is the started. and it just wont turn over. so if the battery was dead nothing would happen when i turn the key right? but it coughs and tries, but just wont turn over

Sounds like what I had not too long ago. My battery was dead, but the car sis try to turn over, and when a friend and I tried to jump it wouldent start. We tries several other things, but still nothing. We got bored and tried starting it again, when I thought to try and get a really good connection, and there ya go, she lives. Another time, it was the dit. cap. The gasket had dried out, so I cahnged the entire cap all together, and it was fine ever since. Hope this helps.

Zee

oh well glad to see my input counts... anyway check those things car should work!

I had the same exact thing happen to me!! your not gonna like y response but here it is. When that happened to me I could hear that whine like the starter was just spinning. I checked the coil, cap, and rotor...turns out...my tming belt snapped!!!! have you heard like a loud "clug" that shook your car a little bit? if you did...you are screwed cuz you just bent some valves...my timing belt snaping worked out good for me cuz i had just gotten a pay check that but my back account over $1000 and i started my b16 swap ;)

holy shit dude you scared the shit outta me with that bend valve stuff. i went right out there and checked the timing belt. thankfully its still good. im gonna check on the distributer tomorrow.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Feb 28 2003, 06:19 PM
holy shit dude you scared the shit outta me with that bend valve stuff. i went right out there and checked the timing belt. thankfully its still good. im gonna check on the distributer tomorrow.

sorry man...didn't mean to scare you lol just replace the cap, rotor, and coil...go ahead and change the spark plugs and wires while your at it...and while your doing some work...change your coolant and change your oil...do the brakes...change the pads...bleed'em..the whole 9 yards...so once you find out what's wrong...everything has been taken care of lol sounds fun doesn't it :D

ok guys im completely stumped on this. still no luck. i was low on oil, so i filled it up. then i replaced the plugs. i was holding my foot on the gas, thinking maybe it wasnt getting any, and its half-ass started. it didnt sound like it was started but the rpms went up to about 2 grand. and when i let off hte gas, it shut off again. tried it again, no luck, wouldnt do anything again. now my immediate thought was that its the fuel pump, but when i put the key to the on position, i can hear it. so do you guys still think its the dizzy?

Yes
Do what hcivi.com said: take off the cap and clean it with wd-40 the clean the dist with electrical comp spray let it dry reassemble and start if it dosent start check for sprk

yea man, all those symptoms sound like moisture in the distributor. i cant beleive you checked the timing belt already but havent checked the distributor. it only takes three tiny bolts and about 2 minutes. ;)

if its not the distributor, could also be that your starter has developed a "dead spot". try rotating the starter head (forget the right name for it) to a different position, then try to restart. keep trying different positions.

Back