Carbon Fiber Hood Tsudo rock chips

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HONDAPITSTOP

I bought a TSUDO CF hood about 4 months ago and noticed lately how many chips are developing on the front of the hood. Does anyone with a CF hood experience this? If so what kind of hood do you have and how long did it take in months until you first started getting chips on the front?

Here's some pics of my hood if you want to look at the rock chip damage.
TSUDO CF Hood with chip damage

Bruce

Find out from the manufacturer what kind of resin matrix was used in the construction of the hood ( epoxie .etc ). Get some and fill the chips. Once cured, sand, buff and buy some of that 3M clear rock guard film to prevent a reoccurance.

Good Luck
Sean

Thanks I'll check into that. Also you read my mind about wondering if there was some way of protecting the front part without looking too bad. Thanks again.

Also, I'd like to hear from other CF hood owners if they've experienced this kind of rock damage within 4 months of driving with the new hood. I'm just curious what brands hold up the best from people's experience.

Bruce

I had a vis for a year, and had minimal if any, rock damage before I hit someone.

Even when I hit the lady, the hood didn't do shit, the pins snapped, and it went straight up,, the corner chipped off, and I tossed it for a 50 dollar metal hood.

I only paid 300 too. I wish I still had it. :(.

Bruce, the Canuck told you what you can do to prevent it from chipping again- That film that 3M sells is pretty hard to notice and does a pretty good job of protected the paint or in you case CF-

Sounds good thanks for the info :)
Also, is the 3M protectant a spray or film that you stick on?
Any application tips on how to apply it?
Also, anyone know of a good place to get it?

Bruce

Check with your local body shop, they should have clear stone gaurd material you could apply, but I would personally try the epoxy/wetsand/buff method.

The 3m stuff is a solid plastic like thing. It's clear, and really hard to notice. As far as putting it on, the only way I've seen it done is through a dealer or bodyshop.

Ian

would this work for bigger gashes? My hood flew up on me and smacked the windshield of my car. There are a couple of big gashes and the corners are damaged. sorry to jack the theard. Also the gashes didnt damage the CF just the top layer of the hood.

Back