Cats

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

96prelude

ok, some people say that removing the cat hurts your car, others say it gives you more hp. my question is which theory is correct?

it does help, but not that much. Your really better of going with a high flow cat as it's legal and and no cat generally isn't. You'll still get most of the gain. Your car does make a cooler sound without a cat though IMO :woo:

Why? You might see 1-2hp. Why not just leave it and let us all breathe a little easier. We don't have emissions here in Las Cruces NM, but I am still running a cat. Not to mention is for any reason you get pulled over and they check to see if you have a cat (even if you don't have emissions laws) you get hit with one hell of a fine.

No real point in running without a cat unless your at a track.
1) illegal in most places, but that doesnt matter to everyone, not me at least.
2) if your cat sucks(and most do) get a good highflow cat
3) unless your running a turbo with some serious boost, most cars stand to get or - a few horsepower.
4) its loud, and unless you like hearing the apocalypse occur in your car its not going to be pleasant.
5) if it is illegal, messing with your cat gets you a staggeringly large ticket. Somewhere between 5000-10000(at least in Washington) is possible as they consider it a very serious environmental offense. Kinda like the ultimate "no front plate, oh, whats that noise" ticket you can get.

Rob

i don't have the money to spend on an high flow cat. when i have the money for the exhast i want then i'll probly get it taken off. here in the good ol' south every redneck in town runs thier truck without one.

Originally posted by Distorted@Feb 14 2003, 05:37 PM
No real point in running without a cat unless your at a track.
1) illegal in most places, but that doesnt matter to everyone, not me at least.
2) if your cat sucks(and most do) get a good highflow cat
3) unless your running a turbo with some serious boost, most cars stand to get or - a few horsepower.
4) its loud, and unless you like hearing the apocalypse occur in your car its not going to be pleasant.
5) if it is illegal, messing with your cat gets you a staggeringly large ticket. Somewhere between 5000-10000(at least in Washington) is possible as they consider it a very serious environmental offense. Kinda like the ultimate "no front plate, oh, whats that noise" ticket you can get.

Rob

Hey how big of a ticket did you get or seen? I live in Lake Stevens and my buddy doesn't have one(gay car) and the cop just pulled him over and said you need to getyour exhaust fixed because he has a whole in the muffler and no cat.

Oh yeah I just remembered your exhaust has to be smoothed out. If no back pressure you actually lose horsepower at low end. Its kind of like if you dont' have an intake at all you lose horsepower even compared to stock, no correlation. I used to have no cat and it sounded like utter ass, but I had to do emissions so I bought a race Cat for like 129 and slapped it on there and yeah it actually stops the popping sound you get when you put the clutch in witho ut a cat and it almost seemed like a diff in top end hp.

Originally posted by 96prelude@Feb 17 2003, 04:01 PM
here in the good ol' south every redneck in town runs thier truck without one.

if every redneck in town jumped off a bridge would you too??? <_<

no i'm just saying if they can get away with it so can i. :blink:

Originally posted by 96prelude@Feb 17 2003, 07:45 PM
no i'm just saying if they can get away with it so can i. :blink:

why be like every redneck dick in their lifted trucks with their KC lights. you will still kick there asses and breath a lot easier with a cat. and if you really want to you can hollow out your current cat with a flat head screw driver. Honestly you will not feel much of a difference in HP gains. you would be better off upgrading your valve train or something. Just get an after market cat. And cats are required by all 50 states, just because there are not emissions laws does not make it legal to remove your cat.

:werd:
Better to run a cat and not run the risk of being caught. Plus most high flow cats claim better flow than a stock hollowed cat.

the honey comb can be removed with very little effort and leaves a hollow shell so it looks like you have a stock cat but its hollow it took about an hour to do and you cant tell

Once again, but why??? You won't see a significant power increase so you might as well keep it.

Back