Change Of Plans

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B|ade

Hey guys,

Originally, I was looking at doing an h22a engine swap into my car (Including an aftermarket ECU, auto to manual conversion, hi-flo cat, headers and brand new h & r suspension).

However, today I was enlightened as to another avenue I can pursue in terms of performance with my car.

Basically, what I'm thinking of doing now is gettin my f22a6 engine strengthened (forged pistons, everything and the works). Then I'm gonna turbo it that way, including a front mount and a bov. Do you reckon this is a better way to go?

I figured that instead of going nowhere performance wise (basically swapping in an h22a) and then turbo'ing the h22a down the line, I would, instead, just work and turbo the engine that I currently have. I intend to be running bout 12 or 13 psi off my current engine and will still do the auto to manual conversion as well.

In addition, it'll also end up being cheaper in the long run (Ill be looking at about 12 grand for the h22a conversion and then another 12 grand for a big turbo job on the h22a). If I turbo the f22a engine, it will just be a one-off 12 grand for basically everything and then I can build on that sometime in the future (Wind up the boost, bigger front-mount, etc.).

Do you know of anyone thats gone this route before?

Any help or your opinion on this matter would be appreciated.

Cheers,

B|ade

While I think that's a fine alternative to running an H-series engine, I'm confused as to a couple of things in your post.

1. How is swapping an H22 "going nowhere performance wise"? 30 extra foot-pounds of torque, 65 extra horses and a tighter, stronger tranny aren't anything to sneeze at.

2. 12 grand to drop an H22 into an Accord? Try $2500-$3500 depending on the quality of parts you buy and where you get the engine from.

Do this:
Turbo your F22A6, then swap in a H23A1 later down the line. It puts down the same torque numbers as the H22 and works just as well for boost, plus it's WWAAAYYY cheaper.

The most beautiful thing about going this route: The exhaust manifold bolt pattern on your F22A6 and the H23A1 is identical. This saves you $300 to $500 on a new turbo manifold when (and if) you swap motors.

I wouldn't advise him to build the F22 for boost unless he can use a majority of the parts for his H23. Do one or the other.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 9 2003, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't advise him to build the F22 for boost unless he can use a majority of the parts for his H23. Do one or the other.

:werd: I wouldn't build the F22 at all. Just get the turbo kit for it, and go easy on the boost. This way, if you run into any problems with your turbo setup, you won't have caused any damage to an expensive H23A, or a more expensive H22A. The turbo kit itself will be ENTIRELY swappable from an F22 to an H23A, but not an H22(different turbo manifold required).

Plus, this approach lets you spread out the $$$ over time instead of jumping into a $5k+ turbo hybrid swap. But I guess that's not an issue if he's expecting to pay $24,000 for a drivetrain in a <$5000 car :lol:

i would go for the h22 if your looking for NA, or the h23 if your going forced.

F22A6= SOHC, VTEC?
h22a= DOHC, VTEC
H23=DOHC NON VTEC

sohc+ turbo= waste of money ImHO
non vtecs are easier to tune with a turbo, and the h23 has more displacement.

Originally posted by 90 accord@Apr 11 2003, 10:45 PM
i would go for the h22 if your looking for NA, or the h23 if your going forced.

there's nothin wrong wit an f22 for a NA set up... check out bisi and his F series mated with a d series tranny... he'll be at the texas race this weekend, i see some good times coming this weekend

:::silence::: :D :blink:

jahmal, you know what im talkin about hehe

Back