Civic Cx - 1 Wire To 4 Wire O2 Sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

how do you wire in a 4 wire o2 sensor into a 95 civic cx? using a p28 ecu. pin locations etc.

its part of the wiring harness....only the vx requires going from 5-wire to 4-wire o2 sensor.

what do you mean its part of the harness?

i used the harness that came with the engine as a guide. the pin locations for 2 of the wires can be found in the reference section of this site. the other 2 are grounds.

what he's saying is that 92-95 civics all use 4 wire O2 sensors.
the vx uses a 5 wire.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Mar 18 2003, 02:54 PM
i have a 92 cx and had a single wire o2 sensor.

yea, and my question is... if you are going to run a p28, how do you convert to a 4 wire... what pins does each go to?

right- the cx is a one wire.

simply pick up a z6 or similar o2 sensor with the wiring.

there are 2 balck wires, a white and a green if memory serves.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 19 2003, 03:10 AM
right- the cx is a one wire.

simply pick up a z6 or similar o2 sensor with the wiring.

there are 2 balck wires, a white and a green if memory serves.

your memory is working fineee. however, the white wire gets connected to the stock o2 wire as it goes to pin D14, the green wire, i am assuming goes to pin A6, so where do the other black wires go... chasis ground or pin D21 (sensor ground)?

im not sure. there is definitly not a chassis ground on the o2. it goes into a harness back to to ecu- so im assuming there should be a pin for it. That, or it meets up with other grounds.
the other black wire is the heater wire i belive.

my girl has a 94 civic ex automatic. Will the pin locations of an automatic p28 be the same for a manual (as far as the oxygen sensor is concerned?) I'll try to trace the wires back to the ecu and let everyone know. But when looking at the p28 ecu pinout chart in the reference section. I dont see where they could go.

so here's what we know so far... and please... correct me if i'm wrong.

white wire on o2 sensor is the primary signal and goes to pin D14 (sure)
green wire on o2 sensor is the heater for the sensor and goes to pin A6 (pretty sure)

so where do the other two black wires go? anyone care to take a look for us?

im not so sure the 2 blacks are grounds

when i put my header on, i cut the harness to re-locate the o2 down to by the cat instead of in the runner.

now, when i put it back together, i had connected the black wires wrong.
the car ran for about a min, and then died.... just stalled right out- CEL. It was a 50-50 shot, and that was the #1 thing that i thought could have been wrong, so we swapped the two balck wires.
its ran ever since.

now, if they were both grounds, exmpalin the above.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 19 2003, 02:15 PM
im not so sure the 2 blacks are grounds

when i put my header on, i cut the harness to re-locate the o2 down to by the cat instead of in the runner.

now, when i put it back together, i had connected the black wires wrong.
the car ran for about a min, and then died.... just stalled right out- CEL. It was a 50-50 shot, and that was the #1 thing that i thought could have been wrong, so we swapped the two balck wires.
its ran ever since.

now, if they were both grounds, exmpalin the above.

interesting facts brian... but your point is well taken. if they were both grounds, they would be interchangeable. where might we find this info?

this came straight from an old sport compact car magazine on a Hot-To for b16a into 92-95 civ...

s3e79ba095ea95.jpg

Back