CNC Machined Parts?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

riceracerex

D-Series Ninja
I am a begginer when it comes to this topic because I just started out as a machinist a few months ago. I have a few Haas Mills and a Lathe that I get to use whenever I want but not much training on any of them.

I have heard that you can do all kinds of things with CNC Machining but I was wanting to make a few custom parts for my own engine builds.

So far i know of Pulleys, Fuel Rails, Throttle Bodies, Motor Mounts, Blocks, Heads and Wheels can be machined but I don't have a clue where to start.

Anyone have any experience in this area or maybe some GCodes/Programs to share?:eek:

haha. Sounds Good. Right now I am just running preset programs that were made in a program called SurfCad. I am using 3D Studio Max & AutoCad at home on my laptop but I am far from learning it. I can program small stuff like x's and y's and the z. But I am afraid to actually try and make my own parts yet.

The company I am working for mostly just makes huge saws and replacement parts and they have an electrical departement that has their own operating systems and mother boards.

I got to see them cut a freaking truck in half with one of their saws! It was awesome, i wish i would had a camera on me that bitch would be on youtube!

Last edited:
Are you using tri-axis mills? I do a little milling at work. I can tell you one good pointer.
Buy the Machinery's Handbook 25th edition. It will help you out alot.

Solidworks is a good 3d modeling program that has the capability to export CNC data. I would suggest learning Solidworks as it is pretty much the industry standard and has a very user friendly interface. If you're technically adept, you can teach yourself how to use it.

You can make pullies fairly easy on any 2 axis lathe and a tooling mill, or 3 axis cnc, as long as you can cut keyways. To cut a TB you need at least a good 4 axis. As far as heads go, you cant make one from a billit, but you can from a casting. Even then your gunna need a 5 axis. Machining a block from a solid takes some very serious tooling. You need a machine with a dedicaded setup for that.

Ive been a machinist for goin on like 3 years now. I run Mastercam, Autodesk, and Solidworks. Its a hell of a lot of fun. What model Haas do you have?

Solidworks is a good 3d modeling program that has the capability to export CNC data. I would suggest learning Solidworks as it is pretty much the industry standard and has a very user friendly interface. If you're technically adept, you can teach yourself how to use it.

He can do that with Autocad too, which he already has. A single Solidworks seat cost thousands. Not very reasonable if your just playin.

Last edited:
well, yeah, if you wanna pay for it :)
I think of torrents as a trial version that never expires.

Can you post to a machine with the trial versions? I thought that was locked out until you had a registered seat. :shrug2:

To cut a TB you need at least a good 4 axis.

After thinkin about it, that is wrong. You can do it with a lathe and 3 axis. You just hafta be good and get the part dialed in dead nuts when you go to drill the throttle shaft bore. That would be an easy mark to miss by a couple thou, and if that happened youd have a scrap part.

Dude! Thanks for the info! I will look for the 25th Edition Book and I am using an old 3-Axis Fadal right now but we got pretty much everything.

Three Haas TM2's, VF-11, Milltronics, Okuma's, a Haas-VF5, VF-4, Haas SS, Two Fadals, Fadal 4020. It's a big shop. We only have 3 axis's set-up but we can add them up to a 5-axis and we bought a new TM-2 with USB Support to load programs. Oh,yeah. Just got a two haas lathes and an okuma lathe but i can't remember what kind.

We only use SurfCad/Cam right now. Our programmer is pretty good at it but he is normally too busy to write something other than our company's products.

Dude! Thanks for the info! I will look for the 25th Edition Book and I am using an old 3-Axis Fadal right now but we got pretty much everything.

Three Haas TM2's, VF-11, Milltronics, Okuma's, a Haas-VF5, VF-4, Haas SS, Two Fadals, Fadal 4020. It's a big shop. We only have 3 axis's set-up but we can add them up to a 5-axis and we bought a new TM-2 with USB Support to load programs. Oh,yeah. Just got a two haas lathes and an okuma lathe but i can't remember what kind.

We only use SurfCad/Cam right now. Our programmer is pretty good at it but he is normally too busy to write something other than our company's products.

Damn, what kinda work do you guys do?

You wouldnt happen to be on a Fadal VMC40 would you?

We make Enormous Saws. Alot of people have been getting laid off lately so I am kinda watching what I do around the shop right now. But yeah, we make everything from the Computer & Monitor Cases all the way down to the Hydraulics. The only thing we order is a few things like sprockets and blades. I dunno if it's a VMC40 I will have to check. My owners manual for it was made in 1989 lol.

Oh shit, you said that in your first post. Reading > Me. If its a VMC 40 it should have a chrome emblem to the left of the doors. I ran one for a bit. Kinda strange to run, but I was able to enter and run a single line of command at a time so it was nice for prototype shit.

Ya shops everywhere are gettin pretty cut throat. At least your not relying on Boeing. every time those cock suckers strike or lay off, I feel it.

OMG! What a coincidence... I worked for Boeing. I quit right before they started their shutdown and moving everything to mexico. I was a Wiring Harness Engineer at "Labinal" for a few months. I was lucky enough to be the only guy in my training class. Got a supermodel girlfriend for a year and then after we both quit she dumped me. that bitch... <_< So, now i have went from a rocket scientist to making fucking saws. this blows.

Ahh, I dont like the controls on Fadals. I prefer Mazatrol, Fanuc, or Haas. I guess its cause Ive got more experience with em though.

Yeah, the Haas are my fav. I broke a $25.00 tap programming the old ass fadal today when setting coordinates with a used edge finder. I think I'm getting the hang of it though.

Some guy I usta work with smoked a 40 taper tool holder one night. Burried the tool in his mtl clear up to the neck of the holder and welded the tool inside the holder. He damn near finished the spindle of the machine off too. Ive yet to crash any machine. :knocksonwood: I just grenade small taps and drills every now and again lol.

Back