Code 17, Vehicle Speed Sensor. How to bypass?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Ok, My rex is tossing code 17, VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). I can't clear the damn thing because I have no cluster, and the vss is located inside the cluster. I can't stand driving a car with a CEL. Its making me crazy.

Is there some magic trick to tricking the ECU into thinking it has a VSS? Maybe solder in a resistor between the VSS wires or something? I have no speed sensor in the transmission, no cable, and of course, no speedo.

This is a b18A1 out of a 93 Integra running a PR4 ecu

Last edited:
From what I've found, the ecu looks for a 5v pulse. Which is a bummer, you can't just slap a resistor in there and call it a day. Any ideas?

the vss is not in the cliuster, its on the tranny.

Sort of.. The signal is generated in the cluster. All that comes out of the transmission of a B18A1 is the cable, that spins. (and many people call that the VSS, and it is, sort of) It spins the cable that is hooked into the back of the cluster, operating the Speedo, and then something in the cluster/actual speedo sends the 5v pulse to the ECU.

I assume its a 5v pulse. Not 100% certain on that just yet.

Find out which wire is the signal wire and ground it out. Not sure if it'll work but it's worth a shot.

Or you can try the JDM bulb removal :ph34r:

i wouldn't bypass it.

it does have an effect on your fuel/ignition maps as it uses that for its 'gear vs rpm vs speed' calculation

Shit. Didn't know it affected the maps. I assumed it was either an abs or ps thing. Why would your speed be calculated into the fuel/ignition? Should rely on engine rpm, cam angles, temperatures, and the oxygen sensor to map stuff out. At least in my head it should. Going to have to read up on this stuff.

in theory, yes... but there is slight load differences between X throttle at Y rpm in different gears, and the only way to know the difference in that load is via the VSS

My dash is gone, and I didn't want the zip tied on cluster look. I've fabricated a custom panel that houses a monster tach in the center and one gauge on each side. In that panel I installed my own warning lights and wired it all to the factory harness, so I still have a cel, oil press light, batt, signals, high beam, etc.. The CEL and oil lights I did in a different type of light that is pretty bright. and now I have a CEL glaring at me menacingly. Also, its tossing code 17 on the ecu.

Wow, I just realized I haven't posted pics of my panel! will get those up soon.

How big is your dash? You could strip the VSS out of the cluster and mount it under it, all stealth-like.

Then when you finally decide to use a decent tuning software you can do the crazy stuff, like lean it out at 72-74mph, and if in 5th gear lean out and advance timing at under 30% throttle. Make it a really fun toy that happens to save a shitload of gas.

I have no "dash", I just have a panel that is a little bigger than the stock cluster. Will get pics up. Looks like I am going to have to track down a speed sender for my trans, and do some surgery to the oem cluster. That's cool though, I need to extract the fuel gauge anyway. Just going to find a clean way to tank-mount it I think.. It's either that or I drop $200 on a programmable fuel gauge from autometer.

Back