coil over help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mygsr

i recently bought some adjustable coil overs and i dropped my car about 3inches all around but i have them set on my oem shocks well my problem is my car when i hit a bumb in theses shity LA streets well it jumps it jumps fuken nasty anyone know what it could be maybe my shocks the problem is mostly in the back

get rid of the ebay coil overs get some springs or some thing comp! only other option is stock

Originally posted by b204dr@Jun 7 2005, 01:51 PM
get rid of the ebay coil overs get some springs or some thing comp! only other option is stock
[post=509103]Quoted post[/post]​

some springs already 2 to 3 inches lower than stock can i just buy those or you think they will be the same

The thing is that these "ebay" style coilover sleeves have rediculous spring rates to start off with. The fronts are usually never a problem because thats where most of the weight is. The problem is that the back spring rates are wayyyy too high for the application. I'd made the mistake of installing one of these sleeve-style coilover kits (dropzone) a few years ago. The back end would hop around like mad. I had them replaced with Eibach sportlines on my stock shocks, two days later, which was still shitty, but at least they were a progressive spring so ride quality was close to stock.

Dude, the thing is that the spring rates on your coilovers are way too stiff for the shock and rebound properties of your stock shocks. This results in less-than-acceptable ride quality and performance. My advice would be to do one of the following:
1) Remove your coilovers alltogether and re-install your OEM equipment. Sell the coilovers and get yourself a set of progressive springs. If you can, buy some stiffer shocks. Tokico, Koni, and KYB are all affordable brands to go with for shocks, and Eibach, H&R, Tein, Neuspeed ect.. for springs. Or if you can afford it, go for a complete coilover setup.
2) Get the stiffest shock you can and replace your stock shocks with these. This would be a total hit or miss though. Who knows what the actual spring rate of some of these "one-size-fits-all" coilovers are.

And one more thing....a 3" drop is freeking stupid. It offers absolutely no performance increase, and without a proper camber kit, will wear out the inside track of your tires in a few months due to increased negative camber. Look for somewhere around the 1.25" - 1.75" area for a drop. This way, you'll have a ride that looks good, but also performs well in the twisties.

Any questions about a new suspention setup, post 'em up.

way too high? no way. try way too soft. and the stock shock can't slow down and absorb the weight transfer fast enough, leading to a bouncy ride.

straight up, if you can't spend at least 600 bucks on suspension, don't bother. you're better off riding stock.

200 for springs and 400 for shocks will get you an entry level setup.
a couple bucks more and you can get an entry level full coilover liek onmi powers, then the tein ss, and then you can get some real suspension after a G or so

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 7 2005, 02:31 PM
way too high? no way. try way too soft. and the stock shock can't slow down and absorb the weight transfer fast enough, leading to a bouncy ride.

[post=509129]Quoted post[/post]​

Total opposite in my experience. The rear spring rates on the coilovers I had were like 1000lbs.

meh...either way it's going to suck.

Where does it say Ebay? I don't see Ebay.

Pissed and Adnoh, aren't you two saying the exact same thing, shocks are too weak for the spring?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 7 2005, 02:56 PM

Pissed and Adnoh, aren't you two saying the exact same thing, shocks are too weak for the spring?
[post=509141]Quoted post[/post]​

yep :lol:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 7 2005, 02:31 PM

straight up, if you can't spend at least 600 bucks on suspension, don't bother. you're better off riding stock.

200 for springs and 400 for shocks will get you an entry level setup.
a couple bucks more and you can get an entry level full coilover liek onmi powers, then the tein ss, and then you can get some real suspension after a G or so
[post=509129]Quoted post[/post]​

well mostly the problem is in the the back can i put back the stock spring in the back and leave coil overs in the front or would it just look stupid maybe too high in the back and to low in the front and yes i did buy them off ebay :ph34r:

it will look stupid.

take 'em off, put em back on ebay, and wait till you can get something worth the money.

Back