college stuff

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DjMcPhatty

yesterday at my highschool, yes highschool, we had "college day" and that shit got me thinkin....i dont know wtf i wanna study or where at.... The one place that sounded interesting was the Nashville Auto Diesel College <- pretty much a rankin techincal school. I dunno though, cause I love cars, but im not to mechanically inclined, and im not sure how interesting that sounds. I plan on going to a 4 year college sometime, and i was thinkin of studying business but that doesn't sound to fun anymore. I've been taking computer programming for 2 years now (Pascal <-- gay ass schools way of introducing programming, and C) but thats gotten old too. Anywayz the point is where did you peeps go? If you went to a 4 year school or technical college. What did you like/what didn't you like about it? I dunno just want some info.

I went to UT Austin and spent 5 years getting a Mechancal Engineering degree. I really liked it- but then again, I decided that I wanted to be an ME when I was 14 years old... and that was because I wanted to work on and design cars. I'm still happy with my choice 11 years later, but I haven't gotten into the auto biz... yet.

I would recommend going to a 4 year college if you feel like you're ready for it. Every single person I know who felt like a 4 year university program might have been right for them but then went to a technical school ended up getting a full bachelor's degree later anyway. College may not be the right thing for you right now though- sit down and really think about it. Talk to your parents, your friends, your teachers- see what their experiences were, and how they made their decisions. Talk to people you trust. I would recommend this over talking to people on an internet board that you really don't know... although input from all sources is always good.

Good luck.

i was just wondering about where you guys went, if you enjoyed the school, the atmosphere, the "scene". I always wanted to go into business (maybe ill own a rice store and make a billion off the f&f 7..which they'll probably make) but as of lately business doesn't seem as interesting. I was looking into goin into a tech school just to learn how to "turn a wrench" cause like i said im not too mechanically inclined. That would be more for personal enjoyment. My dad pretty much is supporting me with whatever i do. He went to college but never got a degree, and now owns his own real estate co. in st. louis (if anyone wants to buy, sell, or refinance j/k) and i think thats where i got the business side of my personality from, he does want me to go somewhere fun though because its like the last hoorah before the real world, in his words.

Ah. Well if you're looking for fun factor, UT Austin is pretty sweet. If you want to do business, we're rated at the top... if you want to do engineering, every single engineering school at UT is in the top 10 nationally. Austin is fun as hell, and you can't beat Texas women.
:D

One big plus is that UT is very diverse, very large, and very friendly. The campus is pretty nice, and guess what- it's cheap! Even if you're coming from out of state, tuition isn't that bad. You could also just get a job at UT and pay in-state rates...

Werd. UT is badass. im a third year M.E. student here myself and i have never regreted coming. i never thought i would be in a school this big.

i currently go to california state university sacramento working on my BS in computer science. i like it, i reccomend moving into the dorms your first years, you get to meet a lot of people that way, not to mention the girls too :). but, it has taken me 6 years so far, lol, i'm lagging, i have to work full time and i put most of my money in my car, so it is kind of counter productive. i have about 2 semesters left and i'll be done, i can't wait! :D

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Oct 25 2002, 12:10 AM
Werd. UT is badass. im a third year M.E. student here myself and i have never regreted coming. i never thought i would be in a school this big.

:werd:

UT is an awesome school to be at!

B16- there's nothing wrong with being a super d00per senior. I took 5 plus some summers... and it was fun all the way.

:D

Im at ISU, doing mechanical engineering. Im not sure if its what i want to do though, all this math is pissing me off :)

fuck graduating in 4 years. college is already hard enough. I tried taken 17 hours a couple semesters ago and almost died. just keep it at a pace that you can keep up with and still have fun.

Originally posted by DjMcPhatty@Oct 24 2002, 05:14 PM
i was just wondering about where you guys went, if you enjoyed the school, the atmosphere, the "scene". I always wanted to go into business (maybe ill own a rice store and make a billion off the f&f 7..which they'll probably make) but as of lately business doesn't seem as interesting. I was looking into goin into a tech school just to learn how to "turn a wrench" cause like i said im not too mechanically inclined. That would be more for personal enjoyment. My dad pretty much is supporting me with whatever i do. He went to college but never got a degree, and now owns his own real estate co. in st. louis (if anyone wants to buy, sell, or refinance j/k) and i think thats where i got the business side of my personality from, he does want me to go somewhere fun though because its like the last hoorah before the real world, in his words.

Wyotech is supposedly a real good school to go to if you wanna learn how to wrench. Its only 6 months I think and you are almost 100% guaranteed a job for some big name car companies once you graduate.

As for me I never went to college. I waited 1 year after Highschool doing the work thing and realized I was in jail more than work. So I joined the USAF and got my life straightened out. I don't regret joining because here I got a phat deal on going to school. Just with all the training I have gotten I just need two basic college courses and I have a Batchulars degree. I never realised this till 2 weeks ago! Plus while I am in the military pays for 75% of my schooling(including books). Once I am out I have like 40,000 or so dollars to use from my MGIB(Montgomery G.I. Bill) for joining the military. Now that to mee is a sweet ass deal for just 4 years of your life. Plus the military ain't that bad. Get paid vacations all around the world (for me it seems like the middle east all the time)! How often do you get those chances?

i have a few friends in the military. i even thought about going. the recruiter gave me that same story. my friends went in. theyre always bitchin about how they dont get paid shit. one of them did their 4 years or whatever and got out. it turns out that you can only use the GI bill for tuition. and you have to take a full load of courses. paying for housing and food around a major university is not cheap.

Yeah but still your tuition is paid for! You do not have to take a full load of courses!!! You have 10 years to use up all of that money! You could do one class a year if you like!

are you interested in goin to school close to home, or would you travel 3000 miles to go to school across the country ?

For engineering schools on the east coast here, we've got Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPT), Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI). Yale UIniversity. And for Liberal Arts colleges or Business degrees, there's Yale, University of Rhode Island (URI), Bryant University, Harvard Universuty, Boston University. Quinipiac University

All of these schools are within a 3hr drive from each other.
all great schools as well. I went to Quinipiac for a year when I thought I wanted to be an accountant. then I transferred to a community college to take some of my base engineering courses and transferred to University of New Haven (UNH). I'm happy with my choices I've made.

It all depends on what you wanna do tho really. Do you want to go to a large school like Harvard about 25,000 students , or a small school like Gettysburg College with 3000 students. I'd say start looking at schools web sites and do a lot of research and find what best fits you.
Even if someone say I liked this school alot it might not be for you.

buffalo.gif

Went to the University of Colorado for 4 years, graduated with a degreee in architecture (environmental design).

I am going to UTI in houston next year and from what i heard its cool as shit. You can learn anything doing with cars, trucks, nascar, auto body, etc.etc.etc. The only bad thing down there is that there is a bit of a theft problem but they have almost a 100% rate at finding you a job in whatever area you want to live in and for good money to. I was going to go to NADC but i heard that UTI is a whole lot more respectable. Plus you live right outside of houston and a couple hours away from dallas/ fort worth so hey you got alot of shit to do. And the best thing about the school you don't have all kinds of math,science,etc,etc,etc. you got the feild that your in and thats it and it is like 80% hands on work the other 20% is bookwork and lectures. I don't know a shit load and about mechanics but i am going thru that auto boby part first then afterwards going to go thru the mechanics corse. They are only 11 months long so that might be a way you want to go. But you might have to pay a little more than NADC but its worth the schools reputation.

Back