comcast sucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
so i got a bill today which had 2 line items called "additional outlet".

i called billing support to get more info about it, etc etc... first guy i talked to was a studdering idiot so i asked to speak with a supervisor.

supervisor comes on and shes pretty much a bitch from the get go, and says all we can is put a support ticket in and contact the tech who installed it, blah blah.

basically hangs up on me.

so i jump on to the web chat, so hopefully i can get a rep who can read, cuz appearently they can't listen.

user Brian_ has entered room
brian(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:38:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>I would like written documentation of what "install additional outlet" is defined as.
analyst Amy has entered room
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:38:54 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Hello Brian_, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Amy. Please give me one moment to review your information.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:39:21 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Good evening
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:40:58 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>hi amy. I was just on the phone with a rep and then his supervisor, and she has put the issue into a ticket.
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:41:34 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>to defnd my side, i am looking for a written document with the definition of "install additional line" in regards to a transfer of service.
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:42:40 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>my house is completely pre-wired, and i got billed for 2 addition outlet installs
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:43:03 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>from my POV, he didn't "install" anything
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:43:15 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>so i'd like a document which defines what an "install" entails
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:44:06 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Brian this does not necessarially mean that we strung the wire. To reconnect a house includes 1 outlet. If you have other tv's such as cable ready, there is a charge for this. I can send a copy of rate cards which will show charges
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:47:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>i don't want to see the rate card... it's not the money... it's the principal. I want a legal document defining "install"
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:46:41 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>On the rate card it is defined as installantion/activation of each additional outlet at the time of initial installation or reinstallation
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:46:56 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>This is the only documentation on this I would be happy to send it
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:48:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>the lines were all there, the splitter was already there in the electric room, of which everything was already connected to it.
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:49:03 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>he put a line tester on it, and that was it.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:47:44 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>so this would fall under activation
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:49:12 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>is that considered "installing"
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:48:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>testing would be considered part of installation/activation of an additional outlet
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:51:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>do ANY lines come with an order? i.e., i order cable to a new house. tech comes out, hooks it up at the street. does he stop there? or does he make sure it works in the house too?
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:52:04 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>the initial hook up charge is to make sure one outlet in the home works.
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:54:14 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>which is part of the "CHSI Transfer/Reinstl" fee of $49.00 that I already paid last month, correct?
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:53:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>no, this is for the internet that was transferred, not the hook up from the road.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:54:02 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>I have sent rate card to briancummiskey@gmail.com so you may see what we have listed and our definition of such there.
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:55:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>ok, then the $27.95 "Reconnect" fee I paid last month?
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:55:37 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>is for the tv?
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:54:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>this is for reconnecting the pole and one outlet
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:57:41 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>ok, so the transfer is paid for and the pole hook up is paid for, and the office where my internet modem is connected and tested, and that is covered under the $49 and $27.95 charges, correct?
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:58:58 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>the line from the street comes into my electric room and has a splitter right there for all the rooms, and are labeled with masking tape from the previous owner of which cable goes where... and i get charged $13.95 twice for this?
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:01:01 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>i guess i'm failing to see what was "activated". nothing was installed, the rate card says "installed/activated"
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 19:59:39 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Brian, you have already discussed this with a supervisor. It looks like we have submitted ticket for this. The technician added that he did install/activation procedures on 2 additonal outlets. We would be happy to pull a copy of the signed work order for you.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:00:05 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>If we check a line for you this is what we get paid for.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:00:36 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>By testing the line there is a charge for this.
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:02:13 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>i'm not denying that he spent time and turned on my 2 tv's in rooms ooutside of my office, but i'm failing to see an "installation/activation"
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:03:04 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>which is why i want, in writing, something which defines the steps involved in that
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:01:42 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>there is a charge for this service. He tested the lines and made sure they were active and working
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:02:34 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>The rate cards are the only definition of these charges we can provide you. We will pull the work order to make sure that it was signed off on.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:02:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:04:20 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>the rate card has 0 definitions on it.
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:04:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>all it has is prices
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:04:42 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>you're giving me the run-around jsut like the supervisor did.
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:04:48 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>do you have a legal department?
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:05:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>all i want is a form that says:
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:03:53 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>"installation/activation of each additional outlet at the time of initial installation or reinstallation" definiton
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:05:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>"intallation/activation includes X,Y and Z"
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:05:37 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Brian your not denying he check these for you and did the work we will also pull a copy of the work order to make sure that it was signed. Would you also like to speak with a supervisor again?
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:08:48 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>correct, i did sign everything.. and again, it's not about the $40 bucks... all i want to see is a webpage, faq, pdf, whatever that tells me what "install/activation" contains. nothing more
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:09:51 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Brian, I'ms sorry what you have on the rate card is what we have. You do not deny the work was done and it sounds like that it was signed for. At this point if there is nothing further on a different subject or you wish to speak with a supervisor I will need to end this chat
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:11:45 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>is there a phone number for a forms or legal department?
Brian_(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:11:52 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>perhaps billing isn't where i should be...
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:11:51 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>No, I'm sorry there is no phone number for these departmets for customers to call. there should be an address on the back of your bill should you choose to dispute this.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:14:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Can you please acknowledge that you are still at your computer? If I do not receive a response from you, I may have to close this conversation to assist another customer.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:15:24 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>I sincerely apologize, but due to inactivity, I must now end the chat session to go assist other customers. If you need additional assistance you can find product support and account information on our Web site at h ttp://help.comcast.net.
Amy(Mon Oct 15 2007 20:15:29 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>Analyst has closed chat and left the room
analyst Amy has left room
she basically threw the last 3 lines out within 3 seconds as i was typing a response and left.

all i want is a friggin document/link/webpage which defines 'install' and they can't help me?

I swear to god, if I ever knowingly come within 100 yards of ANY telecommunication company's CEO or chairperson, I will brutally rape and murder them without warning. If there is a god, he will find my actions to be justified and will bless me in eternity.

I feel your pain.

comcast charges you a "line" drop with each service. The cable modem is one drop, the TV another. They both have to be "first" in the chain.

Comcast doesn't know what they are doing.. that chat transcript you posted up there would make me lose MY FUCKING MIND, ala "Falling down"

Bitch done WALKED AWAY FROM YOU.

this is how all telecom companies make their money bro...random surcharges and fees.

you can dispute it, but there will be more money lost in fighting it than just dealing with it.

you can fight it, but you won't win. I wouldn't pay for an extra installation fee and they came out and shut off our cable/interweb.

And when the guys from Comcast came by here, they were FLOORED. My house wiring is the stuff of legend. The inside of my walls are like the dropped ceilings in "Brazil" I have 22 cable TV outlets in the house. I have 6 twisted pair in my ATTIC and 9 coaxs up there. I have no insulation, but I can run a data center.

The guy that owned the house before me was a HAM, so I have coax running through the house like whoa. The wiring junction in my basement has 22 cabled ends, 8 splitters, 2 shield junctions and room for 3 more inputs from the pole.

figure out the exact amount that they are screwing you out of, factor in the amount of your time and the stress they caused, then figure how much damage to their property you'd have to do in order to balance it out. It doesn't get your money back, but you feel less like a helpless victim.

Being that I work for Comcast I know this stuff :p

The fee that you see is 13.95 x 2 outlets. Basically it is a charge set on by a commissioned sales rep who wanted to squeeze every penny you have for his commission benefits. You technically have to pay for the tech physically connecting to tvs, regardless if you have cable or not. What I would suggest doing is telling Comcast to have a tech comeback out and uninstall the 2 a/o "additional outlets"... they will stutter and then credit you back.

All account executives have a $50 dollar credit empowerment, which most are tight asses with it. If that doesn't work, what I would suggest doing is calling back and telling the associate that you were not explained this charge at time of sale. Most sales calls are recorded (50-55%) for quality assurance and coaching purposes. So if necessary they can pull the call, and determine if they did alert you of that charge. That is a hassle, and could take a day or 2... plus you having to remember the time of the call and the number your dialed from (that will just help speed up the process). So normally they will just credit that back as well.

One third attempt would be to ask to speak to the Consumer Advisory department (Retention). That is the department that handles all disconnects. They also have quota to met for saving disconnects. So a 27 dollar credit will net them 2 bucks in bonuses... so it works out for everyone.

I have to admit... all sales people are shady there. You have be selective in how you word things, and what promotions to give out, because it all cuts away from your commission numbers. On the bright side though... some of those shady son of a bitches are pulling in 6 figures. If you have any other questions... shoot me an im.

Last edited:
And then you can take out your frustration from Amy on this poor chump... he can't go tell, cause then he'll get fired for the illegal hookup. :p

B you suck, you didn't even ask her what she looked like and what she was wearing.... WEAK!

I don't mind comcast but then again I know people so I can't not like them =)

Comcast blows major donkey nuts. Believe me, I know monthly when I get my bill in the mail.

When switching from one residence to another, they want to retain customers so badly they charge them 140 bucks for an "install" and "moving fee". I got it all taken care of cuz i bitched enough about repeat service and keeping customers happy.

Even with my relatively "good" experience I'll never buy from them again. Too bad the apt i live in is in this rediculously old house so cat-5 cable isn't easily installable.... and my land lady is a hoe and wont let Burlington Telecom install it...

again, i'm not debating the bill.... its 40 bucks. whatever.

all i want is some document that EXPLAINS what "install" entails.

you are the 4th comcast customer service person who can't fucking read. lol

Its not $40. Its $27.90

Call them back, be nice, be civil, ask how their day is, blah blah blah. Quit pushing the legal crap, stop demanding things, and nicely ask for a credit of $27.90 to cover those charges that you were not aware of.

Unless those items were itemized on the work order and YOU signed it. Then you are shit out of luck. Take it in the ass, and realize that you just got an incredibly cheap lesson in "reading shit before you sign it". many have paid thousands for such lessons.

Stop saying its about the definition. Thats bullshit.

Werd...id love to be mad when im on the phone with tech support/customer service...but i cant be...and i think that gets me further in the long run. as long as someone SOMEWHAT understands what im talking about i can be civil.

basically...you get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.

Back