computer needs an overhaul

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
its been running so damn slow lately, so i'm gonna have my friend bring by his external harddrive and i'm gonna reset windows basically... while im at it i'm going to redo the security on my computer and thats where i have questions

now i'm not looking to spend any money on programs so i'm looking for whatever is free and good.. even if its not free, i can get it via torrents

-i need a new Virus program, ditching the McAfee i have
-need a firewall program (ZoneAlarm any good?)
-spyware/adware program

any info regarding this would be appreciated, i'm not real computer savy... so i need whatever help i can get

i only have AVG and windows defender installed... i've only caught one virus ever in the last year and it was only about an hours' worth of work to remove.

nevermind.. i looked it up..

i'll remember that one when the time comes... anymore options?

i think i have Windows Defender already.. doesnt matter though.. its all gonna dissappear ..

have had both of those.. AdAware has recently given me problems, so thats gone..

another question

I'm thinking my friend doesnt have an ex-HD .. so i may need to buy one, but its gotta be cheap and i dont need one with huge capacity, just for my music and pictures.. i'm thinking a 40gig would be suffice.. not sure what one to go with.. i'll most likely get it from eBay, and i'm not sure which ones are junk and which ones are good..

info please

you can get a 750GB external at staples for less than $100.

Antivirus:

Free - AntiVir or Avast!. Both are better than AVG. I prefer AntiVir but it has a little nag to upgrade to pro, but rarely. Uses less resources than Avast.

Paid - NOD32 or Symantec 2009 (not 360). Symantec has refreshed and revamped their 2009 and its good. Very fast scanner and footprint is very small around 30mb or so. NOD32 has been consistancy good for me.

Firewall:

Free - Comodo Firewall. Best free firewall period. Never had any problems and tells you whats coming in and out. Has many levels of user setting from novice to pro.

Paid - Symantec 2009 that comes with antivirus. Also very good and works quitely.

Spyware/Adware:

Free - SuperAntiSpyware. Ive used spybot with adaware but dumped in favor of SAS because both couldnt get rid of something that SAS did.
Free - HiJackTHis. Run with SAS and you should be spyware free.

Lastly get CCcleaner and run it weekly to clear cookies, temp files nad various junk.

Now in terms of external harddrives, theyre pretty much all the same. LaCies seem to have a sturdier chassis but Ive used Simpletech and WD Books and they run just fine. However, Id be wary of the newer Seagates that run 7200.11 drives. Theyve been crashing and bricking left and right. Price wise a 500Gb should be around 60-70 and 1Tb should be 110. If you look around staples and office depot theyve been clearancing out 320gb for around 40-50. Or you can buy a 250gb for around 40 and a case for around 10 ish and just put it together. Very easy.

survey says.. ERRRR!

Staples®- Office Supplies, Electronics, Furniture, Ink, Toner, Copy Paper

i walked in and bought it. you cant buy everything online, ya know ;)

im not even sure if there is a Staples in my town.. anyways.. George is kind enough to lend me his that he never used..

Back