Connecticut people, West Hartford Res

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jeef

NO MA'AM
VIP
As some of you know the West Hartford Reservoir might get shut down to public use. The Res is a large open area to walk, hike, bike, mountain bike, or do other outdoor activities. It has 30 miles of trails and is about 3,000 acres. The MDC is thinking about closing it to public use due to being sued after a biker was injured. Maribeth Blonski was awarded 2.9 million dollars for injuries she sustained when she hit a yellow gate on her bicycle. Maribeth an experienced rider, who had a show on public access tv about mountain biking, was rumored to be racing a friend when she hit the gate. The friend she was racing with said that she was being negligent. So, basically Maribeth was racing in an area she shouldn't been racing in, hit a gate, and sued for 2.9 mil. Because of her greed and not taking responsibility for her own actions the public will lose access to this area.

Here are a few links on the story, there are plenty more out there. The first link is to the petition to keep the place open, and to change Connecticut's law that would allow the MDC to be immune from lawsuits. Please sign it to help keep this area open.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/fixtherecreationliabilitylaw
West Hartford's Mayor Scott Slifka: Keep MDC Res Open - Rick Green | CT Confidential
Bicycling and lawsuits - Courant.com
MDC May Soon Close Res. to Walkers, Runners, Cyclists - Rick Green | CT Confidential

I like going to the Res and definitely want to keep it open. It just pisses me off when one person's actions ruin things for everyone else.

what the fuck is wrong with you people? how do you win a case like that?

this is what is wrong with america today. someone burn that cunts house down with her in it.

Signed. I just took my dog to the Boulder reservoir here in CO for his first time playing in the water. He had a blast! and aside from re-injuring his tail, he is one happy dog.

it's completel horse shit.

if you hit a pole going to the wrong way while driving and get hurt, you not only get an at-fault ticket, but you have to pay for the pole.

if you try to go under a gate that is bright yellow, going the wrong way on a one-way path, and don't fit and hit your head on it, you win 3mln.

it's horse shit, and that jury should be shot.

how do you miss it?

29187_400624828800_554843800_4034307_5025765_n.jpg

this is the actual gate she hit.

plenty of view time in both directions.

30826_1412889375846_1640890789_952231_7629085_n.jpg

There's not enough time if you're looking backwards while riding.

This happens to motorcycle riders around here all the time, they turn around to look at their buddy as he goes through the curve, and hits a branch or other debris in the road. They don't sue though, because it's their god damned fault.

I hope MDC is going to appeal.

Over 800 people showed up tonight to protest this. Hopefully they leave it open. I have been getting back into mountain biking when I have the time to, and this was a place I wanted to try. I have walked here with the gf and dog a few times, and its a nice relaxing place. One person ruins it for everyone.

No, I wasn't able to.
Hopefully the law will get changed so they can not get sued if something else happens on their property.
I love the mentality of I was being an asshat on your property, got hurt, so your are responsible; as much as I love our welfare system. There are very few cases where I think welfare should be issued.

Back