Cop Story Rant + Radar Detector Buying

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGProject

YEEEEAAHHHHH
I know everyone has their "omg, cops" story. Mine isn't too bad, but I'm starting to get paranoid.

Driving into Worcester earlier this evening. Two lane divided highway (2 in each direction). Marked speed is everywhere from 65 to 50mph. No one travels the limit. Fairly light traffic, I trail two cars from Jersey doing about 10-15 over. 3/4 into the city they peel off and I resume my 65-70 in 50. I'm a stickler for using signals and not using the left lane if I don't need too. Make my way through light traffic to the city limits and head up the on-ramp to a major highway (RT290). Immediately notice headlights ON MY ASS out of nowhere. Immediately realize its a trooper.

I'm very perceptive of headlight patterns in traffic and didn't notice this guy tailing me. I play cool and move along with traffic. Get off my exit, signaling the whole way. I get 300 feet from the ramp and the guy hits the blues. Here we go.

Put on my cool face and greet the trooper with a cordial "good evening officer". Hes polite, I hand him my license and reg and tell him honestly that I was going too fast.

He then informs me that he was tailing me for 10 miles and that apparently I had been going 10-20mph over the limit and passed 40 cars (not true). He then very nicely points out that I didn't signal off the highway (I did) and was weaving before I exited. I swallow my pride and play along. He then lectures me on how unsafe my driving was and that someone with a clean record like me doesn't need to screw it up. Hands me my info back and leaves.

I drive fast, I drive aggressively. But I do it safely. But this whole thing has me paranoid like a stoner. I've never had a radar detector before and I've gone almost 5 years with no tickets whatsoever. But I'm done guessing and my luck will run out. And to think this guy was following me from quite a distance, and still tracking my speed makes me worried enough to stay within 5-7mph of the limit now.

Opinons on detectors on the market? Looking at the Beltronics 8500 X50, Passport GX series and even the V1. I don't need GPS, red light camera info or speed camera tracking. But I need a good rural/highway unit. I drive 90 miles a day and its mixed driving both ways.

Cliffnotes: Get pulled over, coolface cop. Need detector under $250. Willing to buy used.

just know that any detector will not do shit against a cop pacing you

Thats known, but in this case, he likely was so far away that he had to be using radar. I'm also getting one to help prevent rural speed trap ambushes. A lot of cops around here still use Ka band, not Pop or lidar so a good detector will help. Again, I've stayed out of trouble by being smart most of the time - but I'm gonna get boned sooner or later. This whole "you have a clean record and you're white" thing isn't going to work on every cop.

V1

your problems aren't going to be cured by a radar detector, turning 30 will.

if you have a clean record, i wouldn't worry about it. just pay an attorney if you get a ticket next time. it's worth it.

speeding tickets make me want to punch babies.

v1. Buy the hardwire kit, and I'll send you pictures of the mount I designed for the rearview mirror.

I hate that crap. A couple months ago my brother got away with speeding, simply because he was pacing the police officer. lol

I hate that crap. A couple months ago my brother got away with speeding, simply because he was pacing the police officer. lol
i did that before. but i guess the cop noticed and didnt like it. he changed lanes, hit the brakes quick, swooped in behind me and got on my ASS. i knew what he was doing so i just let off the gas and slowed down to the speed limit by the time he was behind me (no brakes, no brake light). he rode my ass for a while, even if i changed lanes. then eventually just sped off around me. lol

V1 reminds me of apple, everyone writes off anything else that might be good.

Passport anyone?

V1 and Passport are both really good detectors, I have 2 passports and have zero desire to ever change over to a V1 both are rated about the same. both cost around the same too.

believe current pricing puts them both in the $400.00 range.

Nope, not just a fanboy response. V1. :)

I like know where the signals are, even if the V1 shows more false data. I can decide pretty quickly if something is worth paying attention to rather than worrying about the Passport screening out something real and just beeping to let me know it's there but not where...

I thought the direction is neat but not needed, regardless of where you're being shot from. it doesn't matter, you can be tracked from all angles even if its from behind and super weak, it can get stronger.

Hit with K/KA no matter how strong or weak or where from, I'm slowing down.

I still have my Cobra, it was 120 when I bought it 3 years ago, its a 12 band 360 degrees detector, and it hasn't missed a cop yet, works pretty good for me.

I thought the direction is neat but not needed, regardless of where you're being shot from. it doesn't matter, you can be tracked from all angles even if its from behind and super weak, it can get stronger.

Hit with K/KA no matter how strong or weak or where from, I'm slowing down.

I've actually driven through quite a few places with 3-4 legitimate cops in different locations, and as many as 9 bogeys shown at a time on the display. It's good to know where they are- plus knowing when a cop has gone the other way even though you may not have seen him/her. I can't imagine being without them.

Agreed. My V1's directional indicators were totally worth the extra money. I could have a 4872398423-band Cobra from walmart for $99.

I did keep track of the number of tickets the V1 saved me from, up until it'd paid for itself twice. I'm not talking "oh, that cop I see has radar on" but "Where's that radar coming from, oh, shit. Motorcycle cop hiding crouched down between jersey wall" kind of saves. I would have gotten at least 7 tickets on my cross country trip had I not been using it. The best part is the bogey counter, cops aren't stupid, and I came across a lot of gas stations out in the middle of nowhere with a cop sitting somewhere nearby to make use of the false-alarm.

It's all a matter of how you drive, for some people, slamming on the brakes whenever they hear a beep is enough warning. Personally, I like to make visual while I'm downshifting.

So when it comes to detection, should the passport get written off due to not having arrows? Every review I've seen year after year put the V1 and Passport hand and hand..

My biggest beef with the V1 that keeps me from wanting one, I think it looks like chit, it reminds me of a Ninja 250 before they finely updated it. gotta go 15 years before making it look like something not from the 80s....

I got plenty of tickets with a radar detector. I don't even get pulled over now. Just slow down. Works every time.

Back