Craigslist td04 in a del sol?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DrmmerX

Here's the question.

Im buying some turbo parts from a guy from craigslist for $250. Here's the list

2 turbo's
-1 from a Mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 (its a td04 I believe. Please correct me if im wrong, I'm dying to know what it actually is
-1 from a Mazda 626 (This one, I have no info on
dsm Blow off valve
dsm 440 (If I remember correct) injectors
dsm side mount intercooler
Cobalt SS front Intercooler
HF manifold for a 1.5 or 1.6 Honda (Me)

Now, I have a 1994 Del Sol with a D16Z6. I know their are going to be some stuff to do myself and fabrication and whatnot. My question to the wonderful audience is....
1- Is it even worth trying?
2- Any info you can give me on the turbo's
- Such as model number, oil feed help, anything.

Any positive feedback would be amazing

D

id make him an offer..
wouldnt pay the full 250 for it. but thats just because im sure you could get a better deal :)

it'd make a good junkyard setup.
i believe the stock turbo that comes on the galant is a TD05 14B.. itd be a decent setup for your car.. as long as youre not looking to make too much power. maybe turbo mirage will find his way in here and confirm that.. he knows more about mitsus cars than i do..

i think they are oil and coolant fed turbo's.. most oem turbochargers are..

not a bad deal.. you can probably off some of the duplicate parts you want be using (2nd turbo, 2nd intercooler) and end up having it run you 150 instead.

the dsm bov sucks... i wouldn't even try to use that.

it's a good 'bare bones' starting point, provided the turbos are good with good seals and minimal shaft play and the intercoolers aren't dnged to hell.

some piping and intake/exhaust work, and some crome tuning, and you will be on your way for cheap.

it'd make a good junkyard setup.
i believe the stock turbo that comes on the galant is a TD05 14B.. itd be a decent setup for your car.. as long as youre not looking to make too much power. maybe turbo mirage will find his way in here and confirm that.. he knows more about mitsus cars than i do..

i think they are oil and coolant fed turbo's.. most oem turbochargers are..

The TD05H-14b is actually considered an upgrade for the 3000GT guys. The turbo is a TD04.. I think a 13L or something like that. It's really pretty small- but considering that the turbo was used to boost 1.5L of engine, and the 3000GT had its torque peak at 3200rpm (I think, was recently looking this up myself for other reasons), the turbo from it will do nicely on a 1.5L or 1.6L Honda engine.

Both turbos ARE water and oil cooled.

For the price, you're actually getting quite a bit of stuff- but always bargain!

Awesome, thanks for all of your input all. =]

Upon further inverstigation, I found out (and I still could be wrong. This info is real hard to look up for a n00b like myself =] ) That the turbo from the 3000gt is in fact a TD04 and the one from the 626 is the same used in the Subaru WRX, it is a Garret T25. Hopefully Im right.

I think I'm going to go ahead though, and buy it all for whatever price I can, and figure out which turbo goes best with which IC with the Mani Ill be getting too, and sell the crap I dont use. Just a thought though, wont know anything for sure until Saturday when the deal is supposed to go through.

Does anyone have any links or info on how to tap oil and water to these particular turbo's? I know the T3/4's use oil from a tapped pan (I believe), so are these the same? My friend has a s14, and he told me that with the stock KA24, you have to tap the block for it, so I'm at a loss right now haha. =]

Thanks again.

oil feed can be sourced from the oil filter (using a sandwich plate), or you can put a "tee" in where the oil pressure sending unit is, and just pull it from there.

coolant can be sourced from the water pipe along the back of the block.. tee into the line that comes off, i cant remember what to do with the return though..

all turbo installs require tapping the pan with a bung weldied in place (or, using an aftermarket pan with bungs already on them for such things)

Update!

Bought it all today. Happy Mothers day to me.

Anyone got any 2 inch pipe and flanges? =] lol

Back