Crx Easy Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DiGiTal66

Sup fella's? i need some your professional opinions on this matter. I bought a 90 crx si, got rid of the d16a6, and i'm looking for a new motor to drop in to increase all the goodies. i'm trying to do this as cheap as possible because i'm planning to fix this up and sell it to buy a newer honda. I was looking at the ZC because of the straight drop in with wiring, axles, and tranny. Yet i hate to order an engine from across the country (live in pa). so i'm thinking about a Z6 instead. if i found this engine, would it be a direct bolt-in? or will i have to convert my ecu, axles, and all that other shit. so give me some votes on whichever engine is best for my situation. Later

Umm, well #1 a ZC isnt that bad to import, alot of people do it and it works well. #2 a Z6 isnt as simple and easy as everyone thinks or says in an ef. You must wire Vtec get a hydro/cable converter for tranny, new cv's and i think mounts ( but i arent to sure ). The ZC is a drop in plug and play engine. Buy a 89 Teg ecu and your done. a 1-2 day swap, also ive seen ZC's and Z6's race all day with no definate better engine. So if it were me, id go with the ZC, save a bit more $$ by using stock Si Tranny and CV's,(a little better geared too) and have a 130hp swap for about 500 bucks.

I have a ZC in my 89 Civic DX sedan and a Z6 in the 93 Civic EXcoupe we just bought. If I put them up against each other, I imagine the ZC would pull ahead, but only because the 89 is so much lighter.

civicmotor.jpg

That's an old pic, the valve cover is powdercoated blue now. Anyway, you're right though. Since you already have MPI, the ZC swap would be a piece of cake, but the Z6 shouldn't be much harder. I had to convert from DPI to MPI on the DX. The Z6 won't use the injector resistor box, and you only need to add three wires for VTEC. I think the P28 Ecu might have have different plugs than the PM6 ecu that you have now, but don't quote me on that, I'd have to go look. That would just mean a little cutting and splicing unless you replace the ECU harness.

Another nice thing about the ZC is that you could get by with your existing ECU. Ideally, you'd want the JDM ZC PM7 ecu though. I'm using a 88 integra PG7 ecu and it runs great, if not just a little rich at idle. Imported ZCs (longblock only) can be had on the east coast for $500, but I'll sell you the low mileage Z6 sitting in my garage for less than that, and I'll ship it for cheaper. PM or email (lwinkel@tds.net )me if you are interested.

get a hydro/cable converter for tranny, new cv's and i think mounts ( but i arent to sure ).

As far as the axles, shifter and tranny, you can use what you've got for either swap. You don't have to use the Z6 hydro tranny.

dude go with the z6..its eassier i have had both and all u have to do is run vtec on a switch and use the OBD0 wiring on the motor and ur a6 distributer and ur a6 driver side motor mount and ur good use ur existin tranny and axles it will bolt right up...just run vtec off a switch a straught 12v shot of jusice to the solinoid one thing u need is injectors and i recomen obd0 b16 injectors and fuel pressure regulator..zc'z are ncie when there easy to get so save mone and go z6..i can breaks b16 crx's and i am just milled intake headee exshaust ecu and b16 ecu fuel pressure reg and injectors..and dont listen to the ghuys saying u have to conver to hydro u can use the tranny u have now...

If you are justlooking to sell it just find an A6 why bother going through the hassels of a swap and risk of breaking things. The z6 will fit in no problem if you use the L bracket fort he drivers side mount from your old engine. It bolts to your tranny perfectly. If you wire it for obd0 (the shitty way to wire it) then your distrbutor will not bolt up and you will need to put obd0 fuel injectors in. The distrbutor will have to be notch in a few places, hopefully you get the timing correct before you cut.

well jeff, see i atleast plan on driving the car for like two months first, then sell it. this is my first swap, so i wanna get some experience in on a direct drop in before i go to anything harder. the main thing about the ZC is aftermarket support. i'd like to tweak the motor a little before i sell it, also for a little experience. so the z6 sounds almost like a better choice right now. but z6's sound a little bit more tricky to drop in by these guys suggestions.

Save your money. Trust me. You will in most cases not get your money back on it. You will break something doing the swap, or find something that needs to be replaced. Don't do this as an investment, do it because you want to.

Originally posted by jeff@Apr 6 2003, 12:44 PM
Save your money. Trust me. You will in most cases not get your money back on it. You will break something doing the swap, or find something that needs to be replaced. Don't do this as an investment, do it because you want to.

i'm doing this as an investment because first, crx's sell like crazy especially hybrids, second is because i need the cash for a new ride cuz the rex's planned b16 swap is taking longer then expected so i need a float + $. I'm starten to really get into this hybrid shit, but without money, how can you? so if i bought the car running for 900, put $2k in it, get a summer outta it, sell for it $4k easily, then it was worth it. then BAM, here comes the next project car. i think thats a pretty goddamn good plan IMO :lol:

Good luck on selling it for that much. A lot of the b16 crxes I have seen do not sell for more than 5 unless they have some other major mods doen to them.

i have seen b16 CRX sell in my area (socal) for under 2500 all the time and the ones that people try to sell for more spend months in the autotrader

well i'm worried bout putting an engine in the vehicle right now... so.... i'm still unsure which one i should get. if i do get the zc, i'll order it from hmotors. i dont know where to get it on the east coast.

Originally posted by D16z6CrxDx@Apr 7 2003, 01:28 PM
i have seen b16 CRX sell in my area (socal) for under 2500 all the time and the ones that people try to sell for more spend months in the autotrader

socal is a different story though. every other car out there is a crx or a 4g hatch w/b16 swap.

You were looking for a ZC on the east coast? These guys are in MD, price is comparable to Hmotorsonline. Hope this helps.

475.00 for ZC long blocks

Do not put a price on quality JDMPower.net is committed to selling items of quality. Quality and customer satisfaction does not have a price. All email estimates are not final contracts they are just estimates. We at JDMPower.net believe in treating all customers equal weather you know a little or alot about JDM products. Hope to do business with you soon! reach us at 1888 JDM PARTS!

If i had to choose, I would probably go with the ZC. But like everyone said, you will never get what you put into it. It will be real fun though so, have fun.

Back