Custom Router Firmware

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
What custom firmware are you running on your router if any? I am currently looking at OpenWrt and Open Gargoyle at the moment. I want a firmware that is updated with some kind of frequency with an emphasis on security.

Ive used ddwrt, hyperwrt, tomato and soon openwrt.

-I feel DDWRT is the worst and buggiest. Its mostly better than most 1st party firmware, but pales in comparison against the others. Its just not as stable and I think mainly because it supports so many routers and a lot of these are developed by people on their free time and donations.

-HyperWRT is still running strong on a 9 year WRT54G, but is no longer developed. TomatoUSB is a direct upgrade to it. Sadly, it is not upgraded as of 2010 either. The good news is that Shibby Tomato is currently working on its variant with new releases. My favorite out of the group for its powerful QoS, bandwidth monitoring, etc... I love it and its very stable.

-Lastly I might try OpenWRT. IMO, I think it is the strongest out of the ones I mentioned, but the "hardest" to set up and use. Its the "strongest" because its very modulator and you can build it the way you want it, but you have to have a good or at least basic understanding of terminal commands.

One thing to mention is that Tomato only runs on limited hardware, mainly only on broadcoms. Im in for an upgrade for a router and Im thinking of getting the Asus RT66U and load it with Tomato or Shibby.

My pick from first to last. Tomato > OpenWRT > ...............DDWRT > ..................................................................................Stock

Summary, I think Gargoyle is great since it has a GUI and based on a stable firmware. I would only go to a variant of Tomato or Shibby.

Do you live next door to the NSA? I don't see the point...

I already use Google products so the NSA is already hilt deep. I am interested in it more because of all the news about SOHO router exploits and what not.

Ive used ddwrt, hyperwrt, tomato and soon openwrt.

-I feel DDWRT is the worst and buggiest. Its mostly better than most 1st party firmware, but pales in comparison against the others. Its just not as stable and I think mainly because it supports so many routers and a lot of these are developed by people on their free time and donations.

-HyperWRT is still running strong on a 9 year WRT54G, but is no longer developed. TomatoUSB is a direct upgrade to it. Sadly, it is not upgraded as of 2010 either. The good news is that Shibby Tomato is currently working on its variant with new releases. My favorite out of the group for its powerful QoS, bandwidth monitoring, etc... I love it and its very stable.

-Lastly I might try OpenWRT. IMO, I think it is the strongest out of the ones I mentioned, but the "hardest" to set up and use. Its the "strongest" because its very modulator and you can build it the way you want it, but you have to have a good or at least basic understanding of terminal commands.

One thing to mention is that Tomato only runs on limited hardware, mainly only on broadcoms. Im in for an upgrade for a router and Im thinking of getting the Asus RT66U and load it with Tomato or Shibby.

My pick from first to last. Tomato > OpenWRT > ...............DDWRT > ..................................................................................Stock

Summary, I think Gargoyle is great since it has a GUI and based on a stable firmware. I would only go to a variant of Tomato or Shibby.

Excellent, thank you for the breakdown.

Back