D Series Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

punx04

alright i got a 89 crx si (d series non vtec) and i'm gonna do one of those homemade turbos....the engines got 160,000 miles on it so i figured i got to re-build it...i have already rebuilt the head soo for the bottom end. do u think i should just put stock parts back in because i will probably only be boosting 8-10psi or should goo like 8:1 compression and eagle rods and also i was wondering should i bore out my block? would that help even though i'm going turbo, i don't see y not?

im not quite sure on the whole boreing ur motor out thing.l. but u prolly should put put better pistons and rods etc. in the block. u can run more than 8-10 psi then u would be faster.! but other guys here know more than i do, so they can explain. :worthy:

and what about the crank? do i need a new crank? could i just go get another stock one? or do i need an aftermarket one?

if your going to bother rebuilding it get a new motor man, you will be much happier with your results.

But if your hell bent on turboing your D, then your going to want new pistons, rods, block/rod bolts, a new head gasket for that motor, and probably a block guard or some sleeves.

what about tranny's? should i use the si(shorter) or the hf(longer) and still do i need a new crank and if so, do i need an aftermarket one?

I would also recomend a new D series, they arent particularly expensive, and people give them away when they swap in a different series motor. If you dont go that route, the D series is not a block that must be resleeved to run 8psi, or 18psi, get to 20 and it might be wise. Just go with some 9.0 compression pistons and eagle rods, if you drop to 8psi and only plan to run low boost, your wasteing money because 8.0 compression is a custom piston and more expensive. Look in to turbo rings(like turbonetics rings) they seal better than traditional rings for turbo cars. Dont bore the block...you'll ruin the sleeves..if you do bore it, make sure its small and only because you get slightly over sized pistons. Use a shorter geared transmission if you can, you'll get more out of it, but D trannies are somewhat weak at times, so make sure you DO NOT get a pucked clutch, they will DESTROY the transmission and flywheel. Look into a very good street disk, I run a Macleod Industries custom street disk, guaranteed not to slip, made of Sintered Iron, On/OFF engagement in racing situations, barely slipable. Anyway, have fun...

Rob

:D

what if i just bought some arias 9:1 pistons and Ls rods? would the rods hold up fine? or go with the eagles...i work minimum wage and not alot of hours soo i don't make good money....soo i have to buy cheap as i can...so will the Ls rods hold up?

Originally posted by cockstronghalfablocklong@Apr 7 2003, 09:12 PM
ls rods = b series
b series components and d series components do not interchange

although that is generally true, i think that i've herd that the ls rods will go into those d-series engines with slight modification. so don't go tellin' him they don't fit before you know for sure.

yes kyle the LS rods, with minor maching will fit. Also, a b and h series TB's fit on d-series IM's, but you need to bore the IM some.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Apr 7 2003, 09:13 PM
yes kyle the LS rods, with minor maching will fit. Also, a b and h series TB's fit on d-series IM's, but you need to bore the IM some.

:withstupid:

I'm pretty sure it's the width of the big end that needs to be machined to fit, then some bushings/bearings pressed in at the small end to fit the smaller wrist pin of the D series piston. I was going to go this route with my D block, but I might have found an even cheaper way that's just as good... you can't beat free pistons and rods.

Back