D15 to D16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

woozey

My friends grandfather has a 1990 lx sedan with the D15. A blown head gasket, leaky valve seal and worn rings make it a good candidate for engine replacement. He does not want to pimp out his grocery getter and simply wants a stock replacement for minimal cost. I have in my possesion a fresh sohc ZC(D16) longblock and am willing to sell it to my friends grandfather for a price he can not refuse. Can you run a D16 on the DPFI without any ECU codes,running lean or major problems? All we want to do is swap the long blocks and keep every thing else the same. If i'm not mistaken all the hardware, DPFI, distributor and sensors should all line up fine right? I know this isn't the caliber of swap you guys are used to, but i could use your help. Thank you looking.

Yes, everything should work. You might run into lean-issues though because the ZC has larger displacement, more aggressive camming, and more compression. If he runs higher grade fuel, its probably nothing to worry about, but I can't say for sure.

If the ZC still has its own distributor, run that; run MPFI wires and use the ZC's ECU. This is probably the best way to do it. I would suggest selling the ZC, and buying a D15B2. You can probably make a little profit off of that and don't have to worry about wiring since it's just a drop-in/plug-in affair. Only problem is it'll take some time.

Rebuild the D15...I am doing that to mine now, and it's a lot cheaper than messing with everything else...It's not all that hard either...

Back