d15b vtec swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kovalski

Hi all agian..Kov here, So Sufikation and me started to rip into the 95 lastnight. We got most of the wiring unpluged and marked. Than a buddy came over and told us that we would need a new wiring harnass and ecu to from the d15b vtec motor and that the swap would not be a easy one..I was told that my d15 b7 and the d15 vtec would be a derect swap over. I just needed to run the vtec wiring. Is this true or do I need the wiring and ecu to do this swap? I'm kinda lost now..If anyone has done this swap and knows how to do it with ease, PLZ let me and Suf know..Thanks and happy honda day!!!:eek:

Thanks bro that should help us out for sure..Now to make some cash to buy that shit..WOOT I'm so ready today to get this motor ready to be pulled out..Than to pull the old one apart: Dirty hands indeed we will have..^_^

You can't even use the harness from the D15B VTEC IIRC. When I got mine, the guy already replaced it with a D16Z6 harness. The JDM harness has the engine connectors on the opposite side.

As for the ECU, a P28 will run it just fine; but if you can get your hands on a P08 it'll run a little better. Also, you could always chip/socket the ECU with a P08 map.

GL!

im doing the same swap kind of i have a 92 civic CX (as seen in the screen name) which is a D15B8 and im going for a D16 vtec. not to sure about the D15 vtec but all you should need is to wire the VTEC to the A4 and D6 plug on the ECU check your ECU compatability also. good luck.

I have a 94 dx coupe that had a D15b7 in in and I swapped a d15b into the crap and all I had to do was run the wires for the vtec to my shift light! Set the tac to 5k the light comes on and so does vtec :) awesome right!

I did this swap last year to my '93 sedan, went from d15b7 nonvtec to JDM d15b Vtec with the engine, transmission, and po8 ECU. Scored the whole swap cheap it was only $1,049 shipped to my high school shop.

EASY swap everything bolts right up, used my d15b7 wire harness, and bought a rywire vtec sub-harness and ran vtec oil press. and solenoid straight to ecu underneath the fender and in the door (I know, I'm ghetto) but it worked out great :D.

You should be able to run a p28 that's what I've heard a lot, but I went ahead and got the appropriate ecu the po8.

The ONLY problems I ran into were with the intake manifold/throttle body. It's hybrid now I can't remember if I have the JDM intake manny with my old TB or the JDM TB with my old intake manny but I had to mess with it. Ended up snipping some vacuum lines and using a Y-bracket.

The extra 30 ponies and vtec function are nice compared to the 100hp d15b7 :D, I had to get my car running after blowing the b7, and this was the perfect cheap motor. Runs great but just has an erratic idle that I can't get rid of and an IACV code 14 showing up that I can't fix. I've been thru 3 different IACV's and nothing fixed it.

I did this swap last year to my '93 sedan, went from d15b7 nonvtec to JDM d15b Vtec with the engine, transmission, and po8 ECU. Scored the whole swap cheap it was only $1,049 shipped to my high school shop.

EASY swap everything bolts right up, used my d15b7 wire harness, and bought a rywire vtec sub-harness and ran vtec oil press. and solenoid straight to ecu underneath the fender and in the door (I know, I'm ghetto) but it worked out great :D.

You should be able to run a p28 that's what I've heard a lot, but I went ahead and got the appropriate ecu the po8.

The ONLY problems I ran into were with the intake manifold/throttle body. It's hybrid now I can't remember if I have the JDM intake manny with my old TB or the JDM TB with my old intake manny but I had to mess with it. Ended up snipping some vacuum lines and using a Y-bracket.

The extra 30 ponies and vtec function are nice compared to the 100hp d15b7 :D, I had to get my car running after blowing the b7, and this was the perfect cheap motor. Runs great but just has an erratic idle that I can't get rid of and an IACV code 14 showing up that I can't fix. I've been thru 3 different IACV's and nothing fixed it.
wow man thanks loads, this is the final bits of info we needed. + rep for you.

Yea no prob, and I bought the whole swap from www.hmotorsonline.com including the d15b tranny and po8 for the price I mentioned, I had it shipped to my high school because it would have been I believe an extra $200 for residential address and liftgate.

It came with a blown head gasket and a cracked fuel injector, I just bought a new z6 gasket and installed it with ARP head studs (z6) and used a fuel injector from the b7. All the sensors worked except the IAT sensor was fried and it came with good plugs and wires, and I recently had to replace the alternator.

I don't know if you guys have done a swap before, so just incase you haven't, be prepared to buy some more shit because I hear when you buy a swap they don't always come perfect, mine didn't.

I deal with the problems with mine as they come up. Others recommend: compression test, new timing belt, new alternator, distributor, wires, plugs, head gasket, water pump, full tune up, etc.. I just threw mine in. But at least at the site I gave you they guarantee a compression test when they receive the motors and another test right before they ship them out with a 100% start-up guarantee and mine did start right up.

I probably should throw in the fact that this engine does not pass emissions in the USA. Especially mine since I replaced the cat with a test pipe and I'm running a buddy club spec 2 exhaust, and the po8 ecu only works with a 1-wire o2 sensor not a 4-wire like USDM z6's. Not a problem for me since I live in a small town with no emission laws, but maybe you could make a custom exhaust with 2 or 3 cats or something if you need to?

Last edited:
Woot now to get the cash, to get the parts, ty man so much for your help..Glad you like the SOHC to..We will keep u up to date on this swap..We are going to pull the motor tom, It was very easy to pull all of it apart, took us a nice slow 5 hrs or so..I'm so ready to play in and on the honda..We live in a small town so we dont even realy need any exhaust..I love it..Peace Kov!!

Only thing I can stress is make sure the injectors are good lmao. I got my d15b and the injectors were gum'd right the hell up :(

Only thing I can stress is make sure the injectors are good lmao. I got my d15b and the injectors were gum'd right the hell up :(
that is one of the many things we will be checking and re-checking this weekend when we are suppost to drop the new motor in.

Ya can't blame ya there! No fun when it spudders!

Back