D15B2 swap to D15B6 Any Issues?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmooney80

I have an 88 CRX DX with a stock D15B2 in it right now that is not running. I have a guy that wants to sell me a D15B6 to replace the failed engine. He said that it is a hx motor out of a 88-91 hatch. I am looking for milage not performance from the car so I am trying to replace it with th same type engine that is in it. Would this swap do that and what problems will I have, if any, with the electronics in the 88 CRX DX? Thanks in advance for any direction.
-Joe

the hf motor was made to get good mileage. your dx motor has more power so the hf would get you better mpg. but you will have to convert to mpfi because your stock motor is not and the hf is.

Reply to the nice guy

Thanks, The guy said that it was milling the intake manafold and distributer and that I can use the ones on the existing DX engine. The DX does have the fuel injection so would that take care of the MPFI issue you mentioned?
-Joe

if you swap your intake manifold off you old motor to the new then it should be fine. but if your gonna keep the new hf motor stock then you will have to convert to mpfi because even though the dx motor is fuel injected its just single port where the hf is multi port

I am generally not thick but I am slightly confused. Just to make sure I understand yo correctly I will restate what I think you are saying.
If I use the intake manifold from my existing engine (DX) on the HF engine then that will take care of any mpfi issues,, correct? Then all will be peaches. Will the lower horsepower HF engine be noticeably weaker than the DX engine? I have not driven a HF.
-Joe

Will the lower horsepower HF engine be noticeably weaker than the DX engine? I have not driven a HF.
-Joe
the D15B2 has approximately 50% more horsepower than the HF with the MPFI - HF with DPFI will have less hp - i have an 88 HF and it isn't that bad - my son had a Civic hatch with the D15B1 (about same hp as the HF) and it ran about the same as the HF - your DX transmission is going to help you some - just be aware that the redline on the HF engine is only around 5000rpm - the HF is an 8 valve engine where the B2 is a 16 valve

Wow I would not have thought it would have been that much. It will be the wife's commuter car so as long as it can get out of its own way I guess it will be fine. The trans in the car is an auto so hopefully it won't be too bad. I might just wait to find a B2 instead of buying this one. He wants $70 and will help swap for and additional $100. If I wait maybe I will be able to find a same engine replacement. Thank you guys very much for the info.
-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back