D15B7 to D16Y8 in a 93 Del Sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JoeDaddy

Hey guys I need a little help with two issues, I swapped out my blown d15b7 that was in my Del sol with a buddy's d16y8 complete swap (motor, tranny, axles, ecu, and the harness) that he had laying around for a couple of years in his garage. Drop the motor in changed all the fluids and started it up, fired up on the first try but noticed antifreeze pouring out off the exhaust manifold and tailpipe, shut it off remove the head and the gasket was shot, replaced the gasket started the torquing sequence of 22 lbs grab the wrong torque wrench torqued bolts 1, 2 and 3 at 80lbs back them off to 22 lbs continued the sequence with step 2 and 3 finished at 49 lbs started it back up, smoking like bitch (white smoke) could this be left over antifreeze that stayed in the exhaust that burning off or did I screw the head up by over torquing the 3 bolts. Issue #2 drove the car around the block slowly in first gear went to shift into second and nothing put it back into first and nothing, motor revs up but car doesn't move had to push it home. What do you guys think that could be? Bad tranny from setting around so long maybe. Your inputs are greatly appreciated as I am not a mechanic just a DIYer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry about the long thread guys (damm nobbie):)

Then it sounds like there is a little left over in there. I would run it for a while and keep track of the engine temp... And for the trans problem I would check to see if the axles popped out..

will do this right now, took the day off to work on this thing. do you think i did any damage to the head by over torqing the 3 bolts? thanks again for your help.

so i should be good even though i back them off from 80 to 49 lbs could i have crushed the new head gasket?

It might of crushed it. but I doubt that.. I would get new head bolts, your suppose to replace them after 1-2 uses..

here's an update. let the car run for about 15 min like you said and the smoke started to slowly go away but i had to shut it off because the car started to get hot, the fan never came on (fuse was blown) let cool off and restarted it, very little smoke, actually only smokes when i give it gas but once again it started getting hot with the fan running i turned it back off checked the water levels and everything is good, any suggestions? Oh i checked the axles and the were in place but i found a leak in the slave master maybe thats the problem, once again just to give you guys a heads up on what my tranny is doing, when i go to put it in 1st gear i dont hear anything and the car doesn't move but when i but it 2nd and release the clutch i hear a soft grinding noise, could this have something to do with the slave master leaking?

Try letting the motor run with the radiator cap off and at the same time lightly squeeze the lower radiator hose getting all the air bubbles out of the coolant.. Just make sure the coolant doesn't get low while bleeding the air out... Also keep an eye on the temp while bleeding it.. And which part are you talking about on the tranny the part on the trans which is the slave cylinder or the clutch master cylinder up by the brake booster...

Ok yeah I don't think it will cause it not to go into gear unless its leaking bad.. My teg I have now is leaking on the clutch master inside my car and the slave cylinder is leaking to and it I still drive it. Sometimes it can be a pain to get it into first but hasn't stopped me yet..

damm bro i just checked the axles again because i heard a poping noise coming from the drivers side and the axle is out..

yeah not sure if the clip broke or fell off but i pulled the axle out and no clip, oh and pinching the lower radiator hose did the trick, not overheating anymore still getting just a little bit of white smoke though but only when i rev it up

Thats good. the little bit of smoke could just be condensation.... Hopefully the clip for the axle didn't fall off in the tranny...

yeah that was going to be my next question, should i try and find it or you think i should just replace it with a new one and hope the other one didnt fall in the tranny

I would try using one of those pen magnets and stick it in the tranny to see if it is in there... Try that and move it around in there and if nothing comes out the replace it and hope it didn't fall of earlier and is all ready in the tranny..

man i had luck on my side i got the clip with the magnet, it took awhile to find it but i got it. Boy i give you mad props for your help and knowledge on my situation, Thanks bro. Hey and if you ever need any help on any painting tips shoot me a PM or just post it and I'll be glad to return the favor. I own my own customizing shop in Dallas, Tx I specialize in custom painting and fabrication and custom audio and security, 15 yrs doing it. Joe Daddys Kustomz website will be up soon. Thanks again for all your help..Joe

Oh yeah, You can check out some of my work, I put some pics in my profile and once again thanks for your help, the car is running like a champ.:)

Back