D16 Frankenstien Swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurtlePowerCivic

I was thinking about swapping the head off my D16y7 for a vtec head. I don't really know what I need or how it is generally done. What I wanted to know is:

What do I need?
How much will it be if I find the parts at a junkyard?
How much more power will it give me?
What kind of engine will work with the swap for my car?
Will the B series heads work?
Would this be the best way to give my car more power(WITHOUT nitrous)? If not, what is?

I have about a thousand bucks to spend too.
Any information is greatly appreciated :worthy:

Do a google Search for a Mini-Me swap....

You need the d16y8 head, timing belt, head gasket, distributor, intake manifold w/ fuel rail & injectors, and ECU... You can get the harness if you want to, but you can get by without it...

Its not too hard to do... if i recall, you just have to put a dowel pin in either the block or the head to slow down oil passage...

You can either do this headswap for power, or i hear that the GUDE cam is a KICKASS cam for the y7.

EDIT: Oh yeah... but a y8 intake manifold on your y7 head... thats the Type R Intake manifold of SOHC manifolds...

Do that, and a Gude cam, cam gear, and an AFC or hondata w/ I/H/E of course, and you'll be stylin...

Dont get Gude. They are regrinds. Get the a Crower cam or ZEX cam. Both are good SOHC cams. Also, the Skunk2 IM will be out for the d-series in 6 weeks (or so i was told).

Hit search at the top of the board and type in mini-me, its discussed here about 10 times a day. Also check out www.dseries.org board. The mini-me would be a great deal for your car. If you are going NA.. you can build a nice setup using the y8 head, ZC pistons, bolt ons, the cam, whatever else stuff you do andmake good power. ZC pistons are suggested b/c they are OEM and cheap.

Again.. Gude cams are regrinds, they wear faster.

its bigger and allows air to get in there and evenly goto all the runners. Its considered the "itr manifold of d-series"

I keep reading that the y8 is the "itr manifold of d-series", but why? Is it ONLY because it gets air to all the runners? More info please! :lol:

its huge and it has shorter runners... as nick said (afipunk21 on here) "It looks like a fucking watermellon"

What's the point of having a really big IM? I mean, I know the cooler the engine the better but what's really wrong with the y7 intake manifold on there now?

since i dont have a y7 IM.. from what i hear, its very restrictive b/c its non-vtec. they tend to NOT flow as much. It flows more air. designed to put the air where it needs to be.

Its like having an stock IM and buying aftermarket.. they flow better, etc. They were made for power. :) Its hard to explain, without flow charts to prove it :)

Alright, thats good enough for me. Now where can I get one? the y8 is from the EX right? The EX was vtec right? I really wanna do that vtec head swap which car am I looking for?

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Feb 28 2003, 04:32 AM
no one said it so i will..the a b series head will never work!!

exactly.. no one mentioned the b-seroes IM here. y8 is d-series. the y8 is CONSIDERED the "itr of d-series manifolds".. figure of speach.

How about a nice Z6 head? :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2404786290&rd=1

s3db64cf52e994.jpg

a stock y8 has 127hp and 107tq but a mini-me (y8 head, complete IM, ecu, bolt onts) you are looking in the ~135-145 base hp area.

Originally posted by Domeskilla+Feb 28 2003, 08:45 AM-->
B16RacerN2NR
@Feb 28 2003, 04:32 AM

exactly.. no one mentioned the b-seroes IM here. y8 is d-series. the y8 is CONSIDERED the "itr of d-series manifolds".. figure of speach.

if you look at wat he posted...he asked if a b series head will work...so i just answered that part of his questions...i knew what you guys ment by it being the "itr manifold" of the d series motors ;)

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Feb 28 2003, 03:10 PM
if you look at wat he posted...he asked if a b series head will work...

he didnt say anything about a b-series head! you pulled that outta ur ass or somethin. he just meant any sohc VTEC head. B-series heads arent the only ones with VTEC. lol

Originally posted by TurtlePowerCivic@Feb 27 2003, 01:32 PM
Will the B series heads work?

uhh, yes he did. I just looked over it when I read his post. So that guy was right. :)

Back