D16Y8, Can You ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

Can you build a D16Y8 and be happy with it. Or does everybody pull those engines out and put in an ls or gsr or etc...... I have a civic and I'm curious if you can build a D16Y8 at all and be happy with it ?

go turbo its like 3 g's for the whole greddy kit: thats ic. bov, turbo and all piping, boost controller and every thing u need. i've heard of people pushing over 200 hp at the wheels. and parts for a sohc are cheaper than b series parts. you also have to worrie bout smog, those bastards!!! o well, it is possible to have fun w/ a d16y8. o also exhaust. cant forget that!!! lates

what kind of exhaust would you recommend for the D16Y8 ? And what would you do first. Turbo would be way down the road for me ($$$). What parts would you throw on first. Help me out here.

well if u cant go turbo yet... then shit just get the bolt ons. intake something like injun. dc, aem or some shit like that... then maby headers, dc, greddy.... then for an exhaust just get something thats not generic.. like those 70$ cat back exhaust, that sounds like shit and just make a lot of noise. i've heard the 5 zigen exhaust and they sound good. not to mention there one of the top brands. i want a 5 zigen. then theres like greddy, apexi, but almost ne thing thats not generic. should do...
so ne more questions???

o shit and get the ecu chipped or reprogramed what ever u want to call it thats a good way for cheap hp and it should pull strong.. o and air filter.\
shit i knem i forgot something!!! a v tec controller. cant forget that

You have to decide the direction you are going before we can answer any of your questions. All of the answers given point you in a N/A path, but to be honestly happy with a D series engine, it will take a SERIOUS build, spray, or boost. If you do plan to boost in the future, don't bother spending 500-700 dollars on an intake and a header, because you will just be chucking them later. If you don't want to swap and you do want to boost, then start saving your money and buying components slowly until you have a complete kit, then set it up and kill! Otherwise don't plan on being incredibly fast..

a j spec dohc zc head will fit, but the compression is going to be very high. and im not sure how long the motor will last w/ that much compression. but the basic bolt ons should do for now. just intake, exhaust, headers, chipped ecu, v tec controller. and that should do it. but u can use a zc head. but the life of the motor will be shortened. o is the car ever day driven?

Dude, take it easy with the posts if you aren't sure of what you are saying.

Boost is a term used to describe forced induction--usually made by a turbocharger or a supercharger.

A ZC head will not bold onto a D16Y8; then again, why would you want to? Why go from an OBD2 VTEC head on an engine making around 130 hp to a OBD0 non VTEC head on an engine making around 130 hp? There's no need to!

If you're planning to go turbo, don't buy an intake and a headeR (not headerS). You'll just have to sell them for 1/2 price or chuck them anyways. Just be patient and save for your turbo.

Do you even know what a chipped ECU does? Why would you buy a preprogrammed ECU chip that is tuned to a full race built engine, when you only have like 3 mods? You will have shitty gas mileage and a little more power when at WOT. That's it.

If you don't have any real mods, you also don't need a VTEC controller. Honda engines without mods (with the H22 as an exception) are generally tuned to near/at perfect VTEC crossover point. If you aren't going to tune your A/F ratios (which you just changed with your chip?!) on a dyno, you shouldn't mess with VTEC activation point either.

Now randerson, decide what your goals are with this car, and we can go further with this conversation.

Originally posted by djextremity@Dec 24 2002, 08:28 PM
A ZC head will not bold onto a D16Y8; then again, why would you want to? Why go from an OBD2 VTEC head on an engine making around 130 hp to a OBD0 non VTEC head on an engine making around 130 hp? There's no need to!

If you're planning to go turbo, don't buy an intake and a headeR (not headerS). You'll just have to sell them for 1/2 price or chuck them anyways. Just be patient and save for your turbo.

Do you even know what a chipped ECU does? Why would you buy a preprogrammed ECU chip that is tuned to a full race built engine, when you only have like 3 mods? You will have shitty gas mileage and a little more power when at WOT. That's it.

1st of all a zc head will bolt up to a d16z6/ y8. the head gaskets are indentical. ive matched them up b4. and i asked people. and they all said it will fit. the v tec bottom end is stronger then an 13 year old zc bottom end. you have a twin cam head. and you raise compression. this was only a suggestion because he asked if head changes could be done. and they can.
but you lose the v tec.

he also said that he doesnt have the money for a turbo well not at the moment. he's also not sure of what he wants to do, hes getting info and suggestions on what could be done. it seems that you have decided for him by pushing the turbo question. i was just giving him suggestion, if he doesnt what to spend the money on a turbo, then just get the bolt ons in the mean time.

and yes i do know what a chipped ecu does. and you dont get shitty gas mileage. and just a little power. well there is the option of a stand alone engine management which cost about 1200 or so. thats the best option but not for the price. but you do get more power through out the power band. you get a higher rev limiter, and a better fuel curve. and you lose like 20 mi to the tank. so thats not that bad.

My friend turbo'ed his '00 Civic (D16Y8), not to impressive, he could've had it N/A cheaper and better...It ran at 6 psi with all the turbo components, so I wouldn't recommend a SOHC D Series turbo.

Originally posted by H0ndap0w3r@Dec 24 2002, 11:11 PM
really i heard they can get 220 whp on stock internals huh ??? o well

hell yes they can but it takes alot of work and good tuning. Also FI takes alot of extra attention to maintance and tuning. The d-series engines are kinda weak, they are designed to be an economical, anti-gasguzler engine. The B-series engines are designed to be a performance engine (some people have compared them with f1 engines)

also H0ndap0w3r, it is VTEC not v tec, V-TEC, Vtek, V TECH, or any other rendention of VTEC, it is VTEC damnit get it strait, even on my peice of crap d16z6, right on it is says VTEC.

Back