D16Y8 - Chipped valve

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rejecked

Hey, I have a D16Y8 head that has a chipped valve. I have looked around but haven't found an answer yet about replacement. I am wanting to know if I can just change this one valve and everything be cool. My wallet can't support buy all new valves if it is not required and I am more interested in getting my civic on the road then waiting.

Also, most of my talent is coming out of a Haynes book so any tips are welcomed.

3323646227_87ea6d2709.jpg

3323674141_3087746d7e.jpg

Sorry about picture quality, they looked better on my phone.

Your best bet is going to be to take it to a machine shop and have them check the head over. If that's all that is damaged, you should be able to replace that one valve and just get a valve job done...but I'd be concerned about whatever caused that one valve to chip causing problems with the rest of the valves and head.

Like I said, best bet is to take it to a machine shop and have them look it over.

Thank you for the reply and the advice. I called a shop today and I am going to take the head down there tomorrow for them to test and see if they are holding pressure.

ive seen this a few times before on stock b20s in crvs im not sure what causes this but the b20 valves were broke just like that all i had to do is have the valve seat recut and install a new valve

Last edited:
ive seen this a few times before on stock b20s in crvs im not sure what causes this but the b20 valves were broke just like that all i had to do id have the valve seat recut and install a new valve

Yeah, don't listen to morons like this. Just because his motor only required him to replace a valve and have the seat recut doesn't mean yours is the same. It was a completely different motor and the failure occurred under completely different circumstances.

and you know that they are complety diffrent circumstances because of which detail in which post i was only explaining to him that i have ran it to a very similar problem a few times on a honda engine and what i did to fix it

I got my head back from the shop today. They checked it for pressure, see if it was wrapped or cracked. They replaced the chipped valve and the one next to it cause it had too much crude on it to sit right. He didn't say why it was chipped, but hinted it may have been due to exhaust leak. I am just going to assume these things happen when you put 1,000 miles a week on an engine with 250k miles.

thank you for the advice. I would have just replaced the broken valve and been in the same boat since that second valve was not right.

Glad you got it properly repaired. I'm REALLY glad you didn't listen to that fucking retard and just throw another valve in it.

i didnt say just throw another valve in it i said that you have to have the seat recut and also any who has the knowlege of replacing a valve and grinding a seat shoud also know that you need to check the head for leaks befor reinstaling it

all i had to do is have the valve seat recut and install a new valve

In this instance, if he had done what you said he would not have a properly functioning head, as he would still have another valve causing a problem. However, because he followed my advice that I gave him in the first post and had the whole head checked out, he didn't have any other problems.

It seems like every time you post, you further confirm my suspicions that you are a complete bumblefuck idiot. Maybe you should move on from Hondas and take up another hobby, such as quilting or boggle.

Back