dash cam

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Friday I got cut off twice in 10 minutes on the same road, I need a dash cam.

Any recommendations on cameras and storage devices?

I've been running a dash cam every single day since April of 2013. Caught some interesting shit, including a challenge to a cop on I-95 for an "unsafe passing maneuver" that he decided he'd give me a verbal warning after I explained that I had video.

E's site is spot-on.

Personally, I run one of these blackstone dash cams, and it records to one of these SDHC cards. Don't buy a cheap card, it's constantly writing, so you'll wind up replacing it in a couple months. Lesson learned. It's hardwired to the ignition 12v line (same add-a-fuse as my radar detector) with one of these hard-wire things.

That is much cheaper than I expected. I as just talking to my wife about this very subject last week.

"G-Sensor Enabled Recording Occurs as Soon as Any Sudden Braking, Impact, Rapid Acceleration or Sharp Cornering Occurs"

is this selectable? or is this the only way it starts recording?

"G-Sensor Enabled Recording Occurs as Soon as Any Sudden Braking, Impact, Rapid Acceleration or Sharp Cornering Occurs"

is this selectable? or is this the only way it starts recording?

No. it always records, it just "flags" the video segment if there's high g-forces. You have to tune the g-force setting, otherwise it'll save every time you hit a pothole or merge on the highway. Once you get it (takes about an hour) you'd good forever. A flagged video segment won't get overwritten until you delete it manually.

In Maryland, in order for an officer to view the recorded footage, they have to receive a writ of seizure by a judge. Essentially, a search warrant.

You'd have a really interesting case, and I'm sure the ACLU would take up your side.

Since I had to go just past Indy today I stopped by Fry's on the way back home and got this.

2M1KhcG.jpg

came with an 8gb card, and will constantly write over. I'll get a 32gb card later.

I might install it tomorrow, or this weekend. Not bad for just under $100.

Hope yours looks better at night than everyone who reviewed them online.

I work during the day, most of my night driving is under 15 minutes at a time. Going to the store, bar, etc.

I've been running a dash cam every single day since April of 2013. Caught some interesting shit, including a challenge to a cop on I-95 for an "unsafe passing maneuver" that he decided he'd give me a verbal warning after I explained that I had video.

E's site is spot-on.

Personally, I run one of these blackstone dash cams, and it records to one of these SDHC cards. Don't buy a cheap card, it's constantly writing, so you'll wind up replacing it in a couple months. Lesson learned. It's hardwired to the ignition 12v line (same add-a-fuse as my radar detector) with one of these hard-wire things.
on this cam is there a way to make it straight record until you want it to stop instead of a loop. in case you want to turn it to your driver window and record the po po

with the looping
generally it records the entire card then "loops" back to the beginning
and starts recording over the oldest info first, unless that info is flagged either by the G sensor or manually by pressing the flag button, then that section (usually a few minutes before and after the flag) is held and not written over
as for the average record time... http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/video-recording-time/
Quick Formula
If you just need a quick approximation of the total recording time in hours, of a dash cam or any other digital video camera, you can use this quick formula:

2*GB⁄Mbps

In other words, take the memory card capacity in GB, divide it by the bit rate, and multiply the result by 2.

The result will be about 10% less than the actual recording time.

so the cam that pickles has, recording at 15mbps on a 32gb card, should get about 4.25 or so hours of video before it needs to "loop"

Back