Death Is Coming

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to be a hater but if honda had thought it was a good idea to put a vtec head on that block don't you think they would have done it? that block can't handle high revs the way it is assembled because of R/S. it isn't worth it thats why Yeah maybe your hatch can run 12's with minimal effort but how long you think thats gonna last? if you knew your geometry you would know that there is a reason the ls and crv motors aren't capable of revving as high as a b16 or b18 and it's your R/S ratio. you take that thing past 7500 your gonna throw rods and totally f*&% up your cylinder walls eventually, your motor will not last if you use it on the street. that is the best it can be put. for drag use it's all right. and the whole idea is to make torque right? why the hell would you try to make huge torque with a small motor? (do i have to say it?)
sure you'll make more torque but not a huge amount by any measurement. you're much better off with a b18 making high end power like you're supposed to with a honda or if you want torque, boost it. doing dumb stuff just gives a bad name to your brand. seriously guys........don't wanna be a hater, but think <_<

:: patiently waits for calesta to come in here and rip him a new one ::

oh with the composition on this site i know it's coming but you can't mess with fact my friends :ph34r: i'll take it from the bunker and become more hated than sadaam himself :lol: maybe i'm crazy eh? :spin:

looks like someone just read that BS article about B20VTECs and LSVTECs

since when did Honda get into the business of producing full out race cars for the general public ?
just because honda didnt do it doesnt mean it cant be done
just because honda didnt do it doesnt mean its not a good idea
if you take the time to build it corectly there is no problems at all with LSVTEC or B20VTEC setups
if you do a hack job and throw it together carelessly then yes it will be a POS

your arguement is not valid at all
honda never put a turbo on a USDM car.... by your reasoning this would also be a bad idea cuz honda never did it and the engines werent intended to deal with the stresses of turbocharging ... shit by your reasoning its a bad idea to mod anything away from its stock form....

:bash:

Originally posted by white_hot_wagon@Apr 1 2003, 11:02 AM
oh with the composition on this site i know it's coming but you can't mess with fact my friends :ph34r: i'll take it from the bunker and become more hated than sadaam himself :lol: maybe i'm crazy eh? :spin:

and where are these facts you speak of? if you claim they are facts, you should back them up with resources or by explaining personal experience.

i'm not saying tryin to vtec or otherwise mod a handa motor is bad in any respect
if you do a hack job and throw it together carelessly then yes it will be a POS

that is what a lot of honda kids do and that is why they have a bad rep on the track. i can say that from experience. it's the same with anything, sure if you build it right it will last longer but by nature it isn't going to be as reliable a motor and building it right is expensive and something ricers don't like to do. i'm not rippin on legit b20 guys, i'm doin the math. i would have to say that 80 to 90% of honda kids don't know shit half of them can't change their own oil.

and it's not about a phony ls/vtec article, that guy knows his stuff to one degree or another as does everyone here. and it's not just his article, when your r/s ratio is too far off what does that do? huh? puts way too much stress on one side or the other of your rods. and what will that do? hmmmmmm.......lemme think.

now being a "n00b" i know i get no respect and depending on the crowd may never but i sure goes to show how some people don't like to think about both sides

Not going to comment much...

But this is basically taking ONE "bad" facet of the engine setup and using it to say the entire engine build is crap. The GSR engine has a R/S of 1.58 while the LS and B20 have a R/S of 1.54, and it works just fine up to 8000rpm and beyond. Domestic V8s have R/S ratios MUCH worse than 1.54 a lot of the time, and they spin up to 7000rpm and beyond all the time without any issues. There's a lot more to an engine than just R/S or "rod angle". Other things, like stronger rod bolts, crank girdles, beefier internals- it all matters.

That's all I'm going to say- I don't have time to start a useless flame-fest... you all know my views, and you all know my credentials.

End.

Not only was that impossible to read, I find there is no point.
the bottom end of the motor can be built to handle it - not a hard solution.

"if you do a hack job it will come out like a POS"

well fucking thank-you-sherlock. You solved the fucking case. You have given the solution to almost every single aspect of car building.

kthnxbye

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 1 2003, 03:46 PM
Not only was that impossible to read, I find there is no point.
the bottom end of the motor can be built to handle it - not a hard solution.

well for a honda block to handle insane r/s ratios that v8s have, youll need a whole new block. many v8s and cars built for high low end torque have much stronger blocks, some made of iron.

white_hot_wagon i see where youre coming from. but the excessive stress can be eliminated, or minimized, with simply stronger components. A good example is those small glow engines used in R/C cars. for their size they use relatively strong materials that are also found in automobiles. The glow engines can turn up to around 15,000rpm with no problems, or any damage, and they have a small r/s ratio(they ones ive seen are about 1.3).
In some cases, stronger components wont help, and thats when youre revving it much higher than some 9000rpm. most street cars rarely spin that fast unless they are racing.

well thank you ;) i'm glad someone is at least willing to see where i'm coming from
i understand the better components and all that i'm just saing why not go with the engine that has a better ratio to begin with. i understand that the b18b is cheaper but to build it better it's gonna have the cost of the c anyways especialy if you're goin with the ls/vtec setup sorry for ruffling everyones featers

The CRVTEC and LSVTEC are the two hardest swaps of the b series. You can do it two ways..

1st way is the simple way, but the vtec head, slap it on there, do a little bit of wireing, drive away.

2nd way and right way, rebuild the bottom end. New rods are the # one thing. Next, put it all together, spend a few hundred miles braking it in, bam, you have a very fast engine that is reliable (just dont rev to 9k when chasing a vette :) ) Only down side to the CRVtec is the cooling passages are not as good as the vtec counterparts making cooling a issue with extreme use.

your hole argument is BS. That is like saying a b16 should never be reved to 9k. Yes in stock form, that high is pushing it but not many people keep them stock. With some better cams, retainers, valves and springs, 9k is no problem. Also with turbos, yes in a stock engine, put 20 psi in there, your going to brake something but with sleves, forged pistons, better rods, ect, the engine can do that.

About ricers doing the easy way out. yes i agree but here, we do not prase everyone with altezzas and half assed cars. Go to superhonda and give this argument and everyone will belive you.

Glad that someone mentioned building up the bottom end, which proves that white_hot_wagon is a fucktard. Thank you for stating the obvious, genius, we all know that the LS and CRV can't hold 8-9k like a C/CR, thats why they get new pistons/rods, block guards, girdles, bore it out, tune it, etc. Now shut up n00b. (Where's my emoticon, Mike?! :) )

yo i dont think its right to call anyone a n00b on this forum. they could be a newbie here but a veteran on the street.

thats what makes calling somone with a few posts a noob ok. if they are going to caome on here with 5 posts and tell eeryone who has built a motor that they don't know there shit then they deserve to be called a noob. cause as far as i'm concerned if you have 10,000 posts and you're going to tell someone who built their motor that they built the wrong one cause it had a b in its name instead of a c1 or a c5 then fuck them, they deserve to be called a noob.

who cares if it isn't the perfect block, you can build it to become the perfect block. thats why its called building a motor.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by white_hot_wagon@Apr 2 2003, 10:38 AM
...i understand the better components and all that....

then what did u start this thread for? i suggest you think your opinions through further before starting any thread that makes a general statement. the guys who build engines already know that those swaps can be done right by reinforcing the block and what not.. and that it is possible to make reliable turbo setups. DON'T START THREADS JUST TO STIR UP FLAMES!
:bash:
thank you!
drive through.

if you are enough of a dumb ass to build a b20 vtec, and leave everything in it stock, then you deserve to have your motor junked, people that build b20/vtecs and shit build most aspects of the motor so that they can handle the high scale of stress that is put on the motor. just curious what do you run? a tempo? ok then, untill you build one yourself, don't knock it cause you obviously don't have any expierence. and don't come back with some bs like oh my friend built this and blah blah cause i don't want to hear it. flamer. please lock this topic and anyothers that come along like it, its all opinion and no one ever has fact to back it up. calesta props on your b20/vtec build what did that get like 40k???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back