Del Sol, Civic, Or Prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

iamane12d

Ok... i started off wanting a del Sol... but then i was afraid it'll be too slow for dragging...so after that i wanted a civic.... but then after finding out swapping stock to a d series will only give about 120 hp and a B series will only run 160 stock.... and now i want a prelude but if i swap it to an H22 im afraid it'll cost too much for modifications.... im open to all opinion... what would u do?!

Preludes come stock with the H22.

But it's a heavy ass car.

If you are seriously just looking for speed, I would get the Del Sol and swap in a h22.
Toss the power steering and air con. and turbo that beast. The weight difference is huge between a H22 prelude and a H22 del sol.

That is if you just want to go in a straight line.
Auto-X is a different story and you're talking about the wrong motor.

Civic HB's with an H22A can own all dragging. Find a cheap 92 HB and go from there. Note : H22A civic is not a daily driver--not gonna fair too well on an autox track, tho :)

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Feb 13 2003, 01:50 PM
Civic HB's with an H22A can own all dragging. Find a cheap 92 HB and go from there. Note : H22A civic is not a daily driver--not gonna fair too well on an autox track, tho :)

What do you mean H22 civic isn't a daily driver?

Come on now... maybe not in Cali due to smog laws.. :(

Just because it's fast and heavy and sucks down a lot of gas doesn't mean it would make a bad daily.
Even turbo, just turn the boost down and it would work fine.

If my 5th gen was H22'd, I'd drive that shizzy everywhere.

I'll take a turn at 30 mph in my D16, and you take a turn at 30 mph in the H22A, both witha good suspension setup, we'll see what happens :)

5th gen civic w/ H22 owns, its lighter than a sol, or you could go 5th gen civic and B18b/T, either one is going to be fast as hell. :D

I wanna be able to drag... but mild corners... i wanna be able to hit them turns too but not for autoX...and sorry... i meant getting a prelude and swapping it 2 a h22a1

Originally posted by iamane12d@Feb 13 2003, 01:57 PM
I wanna be able to drag... but mild corners... i wanna be able to hit them turns too but not for autoX...and sorry... i meant getting a prelude and swapping it 2 a h22a1

Don't buy the expensive car and do a swap :)

But the cheap lighter car and do the swap.

AFI: Sure it weighs 70lbs more. But with some commong things done (CF hood, Battery relocation) it's really not going to be a huge weight difference.
I have a z6 too and sure I know it corners well enough on bad suspension, but the h22 can't be like godawful.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Feb 13 2003, 02:14 PM
Get a Civic HB! Cheaper and lighter than a del slow :p

Get a coupe, HB's are ugly :p

Sure you might get .2 in the quarter... but hell I don't give a crap about .2 with my ever burning hate for hatchbacks.

what others things can be done to fix the wieght difference???i wanna know everything that can be done... and if i get a delsol with the H22 conversion what is the fastest i'll run in a quarter mile???

O god..... you could run 10's.......
with a shitload of $$$$$, it depends on what you do and how you do it. Maybe your asking what you can expect to run w/ that set-up, if so than somebody should b able to help you out.

Hatches OWN! :lol:

sorry, i havent been following this post. but to answer your question, if you want a drag car or everyday car, i would get a civic. i would'nt get a civic for show because i think civics are waaaaaay played out for show anyway (i have a civic btw, but tha's not the point) hehe, if you want like a daily driven car that could give you some speed with a motor, civic is the best choice. i first off didnt liking the del sol, but it's grown on me as i've been posting in this forum as of late. i guess coz of B's sol with his teins! :rolleyes: del sol's are koo. plus preludes are pretty dope as well, i was going to get one before i got my first car which was a 99 si btw. my cousin from la has a prelude w/ a mugen bumper that he just got and it looks sweet. it really depends on what you want to do with the car, peace!

i like it when my buddy's delsol goes down old gum road through "da twisty turns" doing 75 and still pulling
My crx with front end lowered only(reason for front end only is becuase overtime just never ends)can squeal around it at 55 and thats all she wrote.
if since you said this would be your daily driver that makes it and everyday thing to haulass on the on and off ramps.

go for the sol

keep it reel na meen son

For handling, sols are not that good, alot of body flex.
For speed sols are not that good, kinda heavy (nothing a GSR T won't solve)
For economy sols are not that good, Finding a del sol that was in decent shape and in a stick cost me almost 5k and i looked for 6 months and it had 135K miles on it.

For looks and originallity, sols OWN. Top that comes off, styling that has never been done before, great little car.

For speed, get the hatch
For room, get the prelude
For a little speed, a little bit of handling and a lot of looks go sols.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 14 2003, 12:35 AM
For speed, get the hatch
For room, get the prelude
For a little speed, a little bit of handling and a lot of looks go sols.

Wouldnt a civic have more room? I thought because they seat five and all........

Originally posted by preluderjs@Feb 15 2003, 05:54 AM
Wouldnt a civic have more room? I thought because they seat five and all........

Hatches are still tiny. The ludes look alot nicers but are more heavier

Back