dems plan for ending the war

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
Ending The War

Reid-Biden-Levin Joint Resolution
To Revise United States Policy On Iraq

Whereas

• We support the troops;
  • The circumstances cited in the 2002 use of force authorization have changed substantially;
  • U.S. troops should not be policing a civil war;
  • U.S. policy in Iraq must change to emphasize the need for a political solution in order to maximize the chances for success and more effectively wage the war on terror.
Redeployment of U.S. Forces From Iraq

• The President shall promptly transition the mission of U.S. forces in Iraq and begin the phased redeployment no later than 120 days following enactment;
  • Goal to redeploy all combat forces from Iraq by March 31, 2008 except for a limited number that are essential for the following purposes:
    • Force protection
    • Training and equipping Iraqi troops
    • Targeted counter-terror operations
New Comprehensive Strategy to Ensure Stability in Iraq

• Redeployment shall be implemented as part of a comprehensive economic, diplomatic, and political strategy that includes sustained engagement with Iraq's neighbors and the international community;
  • New policy seeks to change course, transition the mission, and bring stability to Iraq.

thoughts?

I find its simplicity rather humorous. All of the problems and issues involving the war summed up into 8 bullet points.

Blah Blah Blah, let's all sit around and talk about what we wish would happen instead of implementing realistic policy that would help the situation. How much of my taxes go to pay these asshats fat salaries to sit around and spew this bullshit?
Good job guys, pat yourselves on the back. I don't know where this country would be without these FINE politicians.
Bah, I vote Anarchy.

It looks pretty, but doesn't actually say anything. A lot like many democrats.
As klyph said, its laid out all too simply.

it's not different than what is already going on. it's just the democrats why of a "solution". It's like choosing a side on abortion and being "pro choice". it's a cop-out. "Oh, we want a full pull out, but if they need, we'll send everybody back".

fuck that. pull our troops out. pull out of korea. pull out of afghanistan. bring everybody home. and do it quickly.

Anarchy=what's going on in most of the poor 3rd world countries.

well while we came really close to a civil war what's been going on there is still well within "insurgency" and hasn't (as yet) escalated to a civil war. In fact we're farther away from such a war today then we were a year ago. What kills me is experts said "5-10 years" to put down an insurgency, we're only beginning year four, and this country has already lost it's nerve.

America voted in the Dems because 70% of us said we didn't like the way things are going, but they have conveniently overlooked that 70% of America also wants us to win this war and pulling out doesn't accomplish that.

This plan has already been blasted by several of the more liberal major media outlets, the president has already said he'll veto it, and I doubt this will get 51% let alone the 66% needed to overturn a Veto.

it's month three of the "new congress" and they've yet to do anything more then put a man in charge of ethics reform that was caught with a $100,000 in bribe money in his kitchen freezer.

Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss

My question to anyone who actually supports this:

Allot of people have called President Bush a war criminal for the deaths of innocents during this war. What then if Pelosi succeeds and our pull out leads to a Yugoslavian like genocide? Would you call her a war criminal?

well while we came really close to a civil war what's been going on there is still well within "insurgency" and hasn't (as yet) escalated to a civil war. In fact we're farther away from such a war today then we were a year ago. What kills me is experts said "5-10 years" to put down an insurgency, we're only beginning year four, and this country has already lost it's nerve.

We were also told that we would be greeted as liberators with people throwing flowers at our feet. We were also told the insurgency was in its "last throes". We were told many things. The truth wasn't one of them.

America voted in the Dems because 70% of us said we didn't like the way things are going, but they have conveniently overlooked that 70% of America also wants us to win this war and pulling out doesn't accomplish that.
What we were/are doing isn't accomplishing that either. Stay in, get fucked. Pull out, get fucked. Either way, our assholes are going to hurt for many generations to come.

This plan has already been blasted by several of the more liberal major media outlets, the president has already said he'll veto it, and I doubt this will get 51% let alone the 66% needed to overturn a Veto.
Nobody knows what to do because there isn't much we can do. We basically screwed the pooch and there's no turning back.

it's month three of the "new congress" and they've yet to do anything more then put a man in charge of ethics reform that was caught with a $100,000 in bribe money in his kitchen freezer.
It's that or Tom Delay.

Douche. Turd sandwich.

My question to anyone who actually supports this:

Allot of people have called President Bush a war criminal for the deaths of innocents during this war. What then if Pelosi succeeds and our pull out leads to a Yugoslavian like genocide? Would you call her a war criminal?
First, I can't support this. I can't support what's going on and I can't support so-called solutions. Like I said earlier, they both fuck us and I can't support having my shit pushed back.

Secondly, flip it around. If this somehow DOES get passed, and said Yugonicide happens, and you and the right wingers call Pelosi a war criminal, shouldn't you put Bush in the same basket?

What's good for the goose...

I don't think Bush is a war criminal because conviction for genocide requires knowledge that it would happen. While we all know war is ugly nobody, Bush included, could have guessed that they would be so willing to massacre their own women and children. However, Pelosi knows what will happen if we pull out because you can see historical reference in Vietnam. Millions were killed after we left

You seem to have developed a "There's no way we can win, we're fucked either way" situation. I prefer to see hope for the future and a greater peace awaiting us at the other side of this war. Regardless of how we get there, acting like we've lost before we have is an incorrect stance.

I don't think Bush is a war criminal because conviction for genocide requires knowledge that it would happen. While we all know war is ugly nobody, Bush included, could have guessed that they would be so willing to massacre their own women and children. However, Pelosi knows what will happen if we pull out because you can see historical reference in Vietnam. Millions were killed after we left

You seem to have developed a "There's no way we can win, we're fucked either way" situation. I prefer to see hope for the future and a greater peace awaiting us at the other side of this war. Regardless of how we get there, acting like we've lost before we have is an incorrect stance.

I've developed a "This isn't going to end the way we were told" situation. We were told time and time again that major combat operations were over and that we'd have it cleaned up in a fraction of the time it is taking, with a fraction of the casualties. My stance is there is no way to end this without more casualties in numbers that we really don't want to talk about.

yet American deaths have went down every year since 2003, Sabz, reality is not what you make of it

"Major Combat" did end in 2003 with the collapse of Saddam's military, we are now in a "insurangcy"

the only thing that was painted rosey was the timeline to resolve the insurangcy, I was quoting the 5-10 year timeline in 2003. Maybe you should have researched it further.

The fact of the matter is we can win because people do want to be free. Nobody want their kids being killed in suicide attacks, people want accountable and electable leadership.

"All men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights... among these are life liberty and the pursuit of happiness"

nowhere in there does it say "but only if your in America"

we can win, the only thing to fear is fear itself. And before you say I'm just spouting famous quotes I'll remind you it was that quote that built the foundation of conviction that saw us through WWII

Hundreds of prevented attacks since Iraq occupation and American stepping into a war against Islamic terror isn't a success ?

Restoring power to parts of Iraq that either never had it, or hadn't had it since the Iranian war ? Or Russian occupations and Tribal wars ? Restored food shipping, churches and schools ?

All failures. Of course that's what I'm hearing here.

well it isn't there fault Cel, their liberal media outlets refuse to report on any positive aspect in the last 4 years

WE can't make this a "One people, one problem" kind of thing because the two parties are so spectrally different on the topic.

It's not a bad situation because of partisan politics, it's partisan because it's a bad situation.

Back