Destroy HD

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mi1av0ng

just for informational usage :D , whats the quickest way you can completely destroy a hard drive so that it is untraceable by computer forensic team and such?

... anyone ever seen that movie The Core? that part when cops are knocking on that guy's door and yelling they have a warrant to search the house and they kick his door down... lets just say you were put in that kinda hypothetical situation, how would you go about destroy a HD in that 5-10 second time frame?

Yeah... i thought of that, but would that actually be enough to guarantee that you completely destroy the platters?

a good sized electro magnet will wipe out pretty much anything on the disk
a thermite grenade will melt the fucker in no time and be much more impressive to watch
at the very least hit it with a big ass magnet and then a hammer

at any rate if you are conserned about being able to destroy your hard drive and anything on it in 10 seconds or less, i hope at the very least you have the drive setup so it can be removed instantly (kinda like a hot swappable setup, where you just grab it and pull)

i was thinking electromagnet/having a powerful magnets near by and move the magnets across the computer... how about something that generates an big enough EM pulse? i was also thinking about having a removable hard drive like you suggested and stick that in the microwave after removing the casing, about how long might it take for a microwave to completely fry the HD?

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 1 2005, 06:34 PM
Depends on how hard you can swing. ;)
[post=506376]Quoted post[/post]​

the only way id be able to smash my HD with a hammer that quick would be if i had poured liquid nitrogen over it first :lol:

i dont know why you want / need this type of information, and im pretty sure i dont want to know

but anyway... if i was looking to quickly destroy a hard drive and make sure no information was accessable when i was done, theres 3 things i would do, in order:
1- electromagnet.... a few good swipes over all sides of the disk will do a good job of scrambling anything on the disk into worthless unreadable crap
2- 3.5lb mini sledge.... smash the hell out of it. the more pieces the better
3- microwave.... all the electrical arcing will not only fry anything that might be left on the disk, it will also pit the hell out of the surface of the disk plates

the reason i listed the microwave last, is because you dont actually have to do anything other than trow it in close the door and start the timer... once its in there its just gunna keep getting more and more fucked up untill either; someone stops the microwave and removes it, the microwave finally dies, or the whole thing catches on fire... either way if you already hit it with a magnet and smashed the fuck out of it, by the time anyone gets the hard drive out of the microwave it wont be even remotely usefull to anyone

although dont forget that by destroying a hard drive in this manor you instantly look VERY guilty of something

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 1 2005, 05:45 PM
at any rate if you are conserned about being able to destroy your hard drive and anything on it in 10 seconds or less, i hope at the very least you have the drive setup so it can be removed instantly (kinda like a hot swappable setup, where you just grab it and pull)
[post=506382]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Physical destruction (like a shredder) is the only guarantee.

there was a program called Hard Drive Killer Pro a long time ago. would cause the platters to spin fast as possible and cause the heads to scrape up everything. dunno if the program worked tho.

Use a vat of acid then take a drill to it, if you had time. That way it eats up the metal and then you un balance it with the drill.

"a good sized electro magnet will wipe out pretty much anything on the disk"

You're going to need a massive sized electro magentic field to garauntee that disk will never function again.

I'd go with the electromagnet... get an iron rod, wrap a ****load of copper wire around it, hook it up to your powersupply with an inline switch, mount the switch on the side of your case, and lay the setup on top of your disk... Just flip the switch and blammo, no more info.

Originally posted by Outlandish_Bandit@Jun 2 2005, 11:01 AM
I'd go with the electromagnet... get an iron rod, wrap a ****load of copper wire around it, hook it up to your powersupply with an inline switch, mount the switch on the side of your case, and lay the setup on top of your disk... Just flip the switch and blammo, no more info.
[post=506671]Quoted post[/post]​

the amount of wire and current you would need to produce an elctromagnet strong enough to wipe the drive would be far to big to fit inside the case and you'd end up killing the power supply before you made a strong enough magnetic field. you would need something the size or an MRI machine to produce a large and strong enough field.

Thermite:

3 parts Iron II Oxide
1 Part Alluminum Powder

Fill filmcansiter, use powdered magnesium on top, with ignitor. There won't be much left afterword....

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jun 4 2005, 05:13 PM
Thermite:

3 parts Iron II Oxide
1 Part Alluminum Powder

Fill filmcansiter, use powdered magnesium on top, with ignitor.  There won't be much left afterword....
[post=507888]Quoted post[/post]​

:concur:

You might wanna be careful and have some of that fire resistant crap that they use at shooting ranges under your computer though.

Thermite can get hot enough to burn straight through concrete, but i can guarentee no information will be readable.

Originally posted by reikoshea+Jun 5 2005, 03:27 AM-->
Citizen_Insane
@Jun 4 2005, 05:13 PM
Thermite:

3 parts Iron II Oxide
1 Part Alluminum Powder

Fill filmcansiter, use powdered magnesium on top, with ignitor. There won't be much left afterword....
[post=507888]Quoted post[/post]​

:concur:

You might wanna be careful and have some of that fire resistant crap that they use at shooting ranges under your computer though.

Thermite can get hot enough to burn straight through concrete, but i can guarentee no information will be readable.
[post=507955]Quoted post[/post]​

Haha, there is no "fire resistant crap" when it comes to thermite, that shit will burn through an M1 tank.

Back