device shopping for night time

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
I'm looking for something small and lightweight to use while in bed, watching tv, etc...
i'm tired of going to my office to use my main rig all the time when I just want to look something up quick or check facebook/etc, but the phone is too annoying to do anything real productive on, constantly zooming, typing sucks.. etc.

i'm open to anything, but price is a factor.... this will be 95% basic internet use.
a real keyboard would be nice, but a touchscreen is certainly an option.
i'd like to spend 200 -300 max. maybe grab a refurb.

im exploring chromebooks, barebones basic laptops, tabs, pads, whatever... i'm not a mac guy though.

suggestions?

I've enjoyed using both a Chromebook and a Kindle Fire. I prefer them over an iPad or a full size laptop. I actually couldn't believe how nice and fast the Chromebook was for the price.

Semi older Samsung Galaxy Tab 3?. I still have the Original 7" Galaxy Tab rooted with the latest Android OS works perfect.

the 7" is a realy nice size IMO,

Else i would go with a new Kindle Fire HD/Nexus 7

I've got a Samsung Chromebook (using it now @work) and I love it. Its great for browsing/email but is also good enough to RDP to your main rig through Google Remote Desktop if you need to work on something bigger but don't feel like trucking over to your desk.

Price is right at $249 too.

I have a chromebook. It's good enough.

I'm probably getting one of the new dell tablet or a nexus 7. I get a good discount on the dell and its price point is good, but the nexus 7 has a great screen.

how's the track pad on the chromebook? I often have a device 'leaned' on my legs when in half laying position like a 45 degree angle on bent legs, and I find sometimes the track pads don't work well in this arraignment.
is the 6 hour battery life legit?
does it resume and hibernate well?

how's the track pad on the chromebook? I often have a device 'leaned' on my legs when in half laying position like a 45 degree angle on bent legs, and I find sometimes the track pads don't work well in this arraignment.
is the 6 hour battery life legit?
does it resume and hibernate well?

I have the original chromebook that google put out to developers. It has a shit processor but gets about 10 hours of battery life. The form factor is awesome on it.

They respond really well from hibernate with the ssd. The newer chromebooks get about 5-7 hours real world I'm not sure on the newest rendition.

I'd wait and get the newest version with haswell processor if I were to buy a new one. They're supposed to be much better at graphics and better battery life. Also I have an android phone so this pairs really well for certain crap.

Last edited:
Track pad is good. The gesturing took a few to figure out (e.g. 2 finger ((TWSS)) scrolling and right click), but other than that it's pretty damn good.

I had the CB open all day in my office with some light browsing every hour during meetings. Came home with it at about 50%. Resume from sleep/hibernate is damn near instantaneous. One of the definite strengths. Seriously, for $250 you can't go wrong.

720 is here. love it. on it now. i'm basically turning off my desktop tonight... i no longer have a need for it for most of the things i do. highly recommend this thing. 250 bucks. crazy.

Awesome. How's the build? My CR-48 has a great heavy duty build but is ancient in technology.

its not great, but its not 'cheap' either. the touchpad is a little weird and feels like a few years out dated. the keyboard is like .9 the size of my work laptop so it's a little different feel. I won't be writing a novel on it, that's for sure. and there's always an external usb option if I choose. mouse too. For what I intended to use it for-- browsing while lounging and what not, its mint. I got a few apps last night. the photoeditor is decent enough to crop some pictures. I haven't played with the movie editor yet. There's a decent putty knock off for ssh. and for everything else, thers a VNC app to remote in to a real machine if I have to/want to/don't want to physically go to that room. But for now, I've shut off my desk top.
It came 80% charged. I topped it off in about 20 min on the wall. unplugged it around 730. I used it most of the night till about midnight, and still had 75% battery left and a clamined 4.2 hours remaining.

bad ass.

im going to let it drain 100% before I charge it again. its in hibernation mode sitting on my end table.

Right on man. Glad you like it. When this thing dies, I'm getting one.

I have a netbook and the wife's MacBook but grab my ipad 99 times out of 100.

2nd gen ipad should be in the $200 range now.

typing with 1 hand sucks. Was not really interested in a tablet.

and, fuck macs :)
way over priced and fuck their stores and fuck their fanbois :)

Back