Did Activision kill the Call of Duty Franchise?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
Check this out.

Activision's New Plans For Call of Duty Include New Developer, New Genres - Infinity Ward - Kotaku

So this whole thing started last night. Apparently the two heads of IW went to a meeting at Activision and didnt come back. Security showed up at the IW offices and put the place on lock down.

Now today, Activision is talking about a new 'vision' for the CoD franchise. I would imagine that IW will buy out of their contract with Activision and we are all going to be stuck with Treyarch for a while until Sledgehammer trys there hand at it.

Thoughts?

Could be bad news, but could be alright also. Treyarch seemed to do an alright job with World at War. It's possible that another developer could make a good Call of Duty game as well...

World at War was only good because they used the engine IW developed, and specifically tried to develop the game as similarly to IW as possible. Treyarch's previous CoD titles were friggin horrible.

This sounds like a typical Activision move. Hopefully they can repeat their IW success with another new studio.

World at War was only good because they used the engine IW developed, and specifically tried to develop the game as similarly to IW as possible. Treyarch's previous CoD titles were friggin horrible.

This sounds like a typical Activision move. Hopefully they can repeat their IW success with another new studio.

Bingo! And from what I can tell that is what IW has had the most beef over. Other Activision companies sniping their engines and such. Riding the coat tails of there work essentially. Other rumblings that I have heard have to do with Activision trying to rush the release cycle and trying to dick the story around.

thats what happens when you develop a game that sells 5 million copies and then your bosses try to pull some shit.

i read somewhere yesterday that IW was looking to do a full online only COD next and activision said they wanted another WW2 game.

im glad i picked up battlefield bad company 2 today since the COD's are going to be shitty again.

The ww2 platform is overused....they need to move a new platform such as vietnam or do like mw2 make up a storyline. But the problem is they dont want to offend anyone by using something such as Vietnam. Because epic beardman and his clan of epic beardmen might show up.

They need to relax on the new games. Its been out less than 5 months and they want to think about another game? Bring out some new map packs, or weapons. I would love to see the G36c come back, or put in the M40a2 as well.

Maybe fix the damn map dispersion, I hate finishing a map and going back to the loading screen only for it to get voted and the map you just played on comes up again... out of the 16 maps there are. For that matter, bring back the COD4 maps.

Bring in more maps and weapons. MW2 is going to played for the next 10 years easily. Yeah I know that isn't a huge money maker as a new game would be, but the next COD game is going to have to be completely and totally mind blowingly epic for it to be as anticipated as MW2 was.

Last edited:
The ww2 platform is overused....they need to move a new platform such as vietnam or do like mw2 make up a storyline. But the problem is they dont want to offend anyone by using something such as Vietnam. Because epic beardman and his clan of epic beardmen might show up.

I think it'd be interesting if they did a WW1-based game. That's something that nobody's really thouched via a video game before, and I don't think it would really offend anyone at this point...

They need to relax on the new games. Its been out less than 5 months and they want to think about another game? Bring out some new map packs, or weapons. I would love to see the G36c come back, or put in the M40a2 as well.

Apparently Activision wants a new CoD title out every year. It can switch back and forth between modern and WW2 or whatever, but they want a new one on the shelves every year apparently. I think that's part of the beef that IW has with them. They'd rather take their time with it.

On a side note though, IW is committed to putting out two add-on packs for MW2 in 2010...

Maybe fix the damn map dispersion, I hate finishing a map and going back to the loading screen only for it to get voted and the map you just played on comes up again... out of the 16 maps there are. For that matter, bring back the COD4 maps.

Oh, I HATE that shit! First off, I really don't mind any of the maps, so I rarely vote to skip, but you'll get a lobby full of people pushing everybody to skip a map, and then, if it happens, half the time the map you just played on comes back up. It's kind of ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind having some of the CoD4 maps back. Maybe update them a little? A few new surprises just to keep things fresh?

Bring in more maps and weapons. MW2 is going to played for the next 10 years easily. Yeah I know that isn't a huge money maker as a new game would be, but the next COD game is going to have to be completely and totally mind blowingly epic for it to be as anticipated as MW2 was.

Eh, I think if they do another Modern Warfare game then it will be highly anticipated no matter what. I mean it might be crap if somebody else develops it and sales might drop off, but I think the anticipation will still be there...

i hear you on the maps. hell i maybe have played rust 2 times and only on free for all sure its small but hell would be fun on deathmatch.

I think it'd be interesting if they did a WW1-based game. That's something that nobody's really thouched via a video game before, and I don't think it would really offend anyone at this point...

See I completely understand why they dont do WW1. If they did it would be boring as hell in terms of video games or in order to make it interesting they would have to be so historical inaccurate to make it fun. As there would be is you stand in a trench and shoot everyone running at you. Then it would be your turn, instead of fire and maneuver techniques you would be running 300 yard of empty barbwire stricken no-mans land. Only to find out that you losses were so heavy that the attack was Failed and you must do it all over again.

I enjoyed Resistance tall of man, but it's hard to pull off a legit war time game with aliens but it was good.

When is someone going to do Korean or Vietnam war? I'd love to call in an F4 That'd be bad ass, you hear massive engine sound and then nothing but ringing lol F4s were LOUD!

IW needs to split off and go their own direction, people will follow.

IW needs to split off and go their own direction, people will follow.

I agree, but Activision probably holds the rights to everything Call of Duty related, so if IW did do something on their own it would be a completely new game. The power of the Infinity Ward name alone might sell some copies, but I don't know if it would have quite the pull that a CoD title does...

I agree, but Activision probably holds the rights to everything Call of Duty related, so if IW did do something on their own it would be a completely new game. The power of the Infinity Ward name alone might sell some copies, but I don't know if it would have quite the pull that a CoD title does...

With the internet... they will be just fine. Everyone knows COD for the most part is nothing but ok

MW1 and MW2 is where it's at. Many people don't even think of World at war a COD game, although they have it backwards its MW that is not a COD game so to speak.

They'll be just fine. They could do something called Current Warfare

hahaha. i will buy the next cod if it is in vietnam/korea. the next modern warfare developed by sledgehammer, ill wait for the reviews. im not waiting in line like i did for mw2

mw2 is one of the best selling games of all time.

saying people wouldnt buy an IW game just because it isnt a CoD game is like saying people wouldn't buy a bungie game because it isnt halo.

mw2 is one of the best selling games of all time.

saying people wouldnt buy an IW game just because it isnt a CoD game is like saying people wouldn't buy a bungie game because it isnt halo.

Well there might be some truth to the Halo thing.

Halo is god, you change the name and people will shit bricks.
It would be almost as bad as Apple changing their name.

The ironic thing is, Infinity Ward was started by the guys that made Medal of Honor, split off from EA because EA was doing the same thing then that Activision did to them now.

This is why publishers buy up game studios, so they cam totally cash in on sweet franchises. They make a few billion off the studio's work, then farm out sequels for a few more years after the top talent splits and makes a new studio and the process starts again.

Back