Didn't want to thread jack, so I'm making my own phone upgrade thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So I choose a Nokia 521 Windows phone because it was the onlyplatform I hadn't tried yet, Microsoft managed to lose all my contacts and calender dates I've added since I got the phone, so back to Android.

It's between the Nexus 5, which would cost me $120ish to upgrade to, or the LG L9, wihch would be about $40ish. Is the Nexus 5 really worth the extra? I can afford it, but I'd rather spend the extra on a .40 cal if it's not.

Opinions?

Damn, on paper the Nexus 5 absolutely rapes the L9's face.

However, if anyone has had either and has real world first hand critique of either that would be awesome. I want .40, but I also want a phone I won't want to get rid of next month.

Last edited:
LG phones are a big meh from me. They never seem to work good.
what carrier are you on?

S5 all the way. I have an S4 and love it completely, I'm guaranteed you won't be disappointed. I've had the S4 for about a year and I've had no problems. The battery has been excellent and there's been no problems with the hardware or software.

S5 all the way. I have an S4 and love it completely, I'm guaranteed you won't be disappointed. I've had the S4 for about a year and I've had no problems. The battery has been excellent and there's been no problems with the hardware or software.

Sure thing, now point me towards the local T-Mobile store that has the S5 for $140 or less. If money wasn't an issue at all I'd just get an iPhone 5.

any past gens out there? s3's and s4's are free with contracts on the big networks these days.

Yea, I looked at all that before I went with T-Mobile. I won't get Verizon, or Sprint because I don't dig that they hardware lock their phones so even after you own it, and your contract is up you can't unlock it for a new carrier. I am feuding with AT&T, they insist that I still have a couple pieces of equipment that I dropped off at their in store location last time we switched service. Cricket, meh, it's Cricket, and T-Mobile has a better upgrade path. I thought about Family Mobile, what my wife has, but I didn't want to get to shitty of a phone, and at the time couldn't really afford to just out right buy a nice new one, since you have to have a phone already to put their plans on. I really like T-Mobile's customer service too, I can be talking to a rep with in two minutes of dialing, and there isn't an endless, repeating verification process when you call.

my point was more of a question... like does Tmobile have those as optons as well? i can't seem to get any pricing without signing in there...

Here's a lesson I learned the hard way with android devices. Don't skimp. Android will RUN on anything. Whether or not it works as well as something like an iPhone or a BlackBerry (not locking up, not forgetting to deliver your texts, actually polling for your email) depends completely on what hardware you get. While I have never used this hardware I can say the Galaxy S series is solid as a rock. My wife has not complained even once about her phone. Never ever....which is absolutely staggering since the last phone she liked was a very early edition blackberry.

You will thank yourself for spending that $100 bucks later simply due to the fact you will spend less time cursing your phone for not doing what you asked it to do. My wife even smiles at me now, and I'm going to attribute it all to the fact that she doesn't have a phone that pisses her off. :rolleyes:

I just went to Best Buy with my buddy last night they had the SGS4 for $1 so he got one to updagrade form the Iphone 4

WITH contract.... you end up paying the 200-300 for the phone over the course of the 2 years any way

I just went to Best Buy with my buddy last night they had the SGS4 for $1 so he got one to updagrade form the Iphone 4

Like Brian said, that's with a contract, which I am not looking for. If they were only $1, no contract, I'd buy every single one Best Buy had..

WITH contract.... you end up paying the 200-300 for the phone over the course of the 2 years any way

Yippers, fucks dat

Like Brian said, that's with a contract, which I am not looking for. If they were only $1, no contract, I'd buy every single one Best Buy had..

Yippers, fucks dat
sorry i must of missed the part where you said you weren't looking for a contact......you where talking about "upgrading" so i assumed you meant your contract was up and you were looking to use the "upgrade" pricing"

Back