Dinosaur Jr. @ Pearl Street

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Man I loved these guys. Skated to em for many years. I've only been able to see them once before and now they are back original line-up ,It's almost going to be as good as a phish show for me.
www.dinosaurjr.com

I can't believe you used Dinosaur Jr and Phish in a comparision other than Dinosaur Jr slays anything Phish ever could hope to be. Jay is a musical genius, Phish is a musical massacre.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 29 2005, 11:58 AM
I can't believe you used Dinosaur Jr and Phish in a comparision other than Dinosaur Jr slays anything Phish ever could hope to be. Jay is a musical genius, Phish is a musical massacre.
[post=518021]Quoted post[/post]​

I used it in a comparison because I've been to 50+ phish shows which have all been aamzing and I loved toouring and I miss it much. and I've only once been able to see Dinosaur Jr. and J. Mascis was the only member in the band at that time. besides both Dinosaur Jr. and Phish are all extremely talented musicians (whether you actually like the music or not, which I happen to enjoy both bands very much so) and I'd have to say Dinosaur Jr. is far better when Murph, Lou Barlow, J. Mascis are playing together collectively.

I guess you have never really listened to You Enjoy Myself, Divided Sky, Slave to the Traffic Light and far to many tunes to name, that have been orchestrated with such grace and skill. I'm sure all you hear is noise as you're only hearing the music you're not actually listened to the music.

also keep in mind all members of phish are college grads from Goddard and UVM
a few of the members were originally mechanical engineers, and one was a film student.

For example YEM is a 13 part piece, explained and analysed at http://www.phish.net/faq/yem.html

excerpts
Song PARTS

Charlie Dirksen has reviewed scores of YEM's, and uses the following "key" to the different sections; the start-times are timings from A Live One:

* 00:00 : Opening instrumental section [until 01:17]
* 00:12 : "The Twang" [bell of Fishman's ride cymbal, according to Fleming Talton]
* 01:19 : "Pre-Nirvana" segment
* 02:52 : "Nirvana"
* 03:35 : "Mike's little solo-section"
* 04:54 : "The Note"
* 05:38 : "The Second Note"
* 05:54 : "The Charge"
* 06:11 : The Words (BoyManGodShit/WUDMTF) segment
* 08:18 : "Tramps Jam" segment (Page!! and listen for Mike's tramp movement signals)
* 09:49 : Jam segment (opens with Trey taking charge)
* 13:16 : Bass and Drums (begins here, though ALO version has some sustain/effects from Trey)
* 15:10 : Closing vocal jam segment

BTW, Zach "Grt947" reported 7/16/00 something which Trey had explained in an old (but lost) interview:

The first arpeggio in the song is in 11/16 time. A method for keeping time in Indian music is known as "taki-gamala". It's used to phonetically break down subdivisions in odd time signatures. ("Taki" represents 2 beats, and "Gamala" represents 3, and by counting off the beats in your head that way, it makes it much easier to keep time with something like 11/16 and count "gamala-gamala-taki-gamala-taki" than to count "one-two-three-four-five-etc-etc-ten-eleven".) Anyway, the vocal jam is an extension of that, according to Trey.

I'm just not a Phish fan. Dinosaur Jr on the other hand, I have been listening to for...whoa...along fawkin' time, since about 87 or 88, about when Bug came out :)

As a matter of fact, Freak Scene is playing right now :D

Back