Distributor / Timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90crx_si

ok...here goes....

I ended up with a check engine light...code 9. Everything I read and searched for pointed to the Distributor. Luckily, my mother works for Carquest auto parts and I got a remanufactured one for $100 :) .

So, that brings us to today. I mark my old distributor, and begin removing it. I put the new dist. in, new cap, new rotor. I start her up and she runs fine (err so it sounds) I give it some gas and it slowly creeps up on the rpm's. I then, bust out the timing light, and see that the timing is way off. Here is what I see (please excuse the poor excuse for a pic :) )

timing.jpg

That is all I can see. Also, that is with the distributor turned all the way to one side. In that position, it runs smooth, but there is NO power. I test drove it, and it feels like theres about 25 horsepower.... If I turn it the other direction, the marks only get farther away and it acts like it wants to die.

Someone please help me!!

:unsure: im having the same issue with my D15B jdm sohc vtec swap. i put on a new belt for a 1.5L vx, because this jdm block is same size. I had the belt off mark by 2 teeth the shop says. and i tried adjusting the dizzy. You might want to take the belt off. put on the belt from the bottom up-crankshaft pulley, then the lower timing cover. set the cam pulley with the belt off,keeping the flywheel still with a screwdriver in it, then set the camshaft. now try the timing belt. I shouldve done this but some1 just told me. otherwise flip the dizzy's um part that goes into the cylinder head? good luck & let us know how that works.

Originally posted by SnailTrail@Mar 17 2004, 12:28 AM
:unsure: im having the same issue with my D15B jdm sohc vtec swap. i put on a new belt for a 1.5L vx, because this jdm block is same size. I had the belt off mark by 2 teeth the shop says. and i tried adjusting the dizzy. You might want to take the belt off. put on the belt from the bottom up-crankshaft pulley, then the lower timing cover. set the cam pulley with the belt off,keeping the flywheel still with a screwdriver in it, then set the camshaft. now try the timing belt. I shouldve done this but some1 just told me. otherwise flip the dizzy's um part that goes into the cylinder head? good luck & let us know how that works.

yep, that is what I was going to say, timing is off via the timing belt.

Originally posted by SnailTrail@Mar 16 2004, 11:28 PM
otherwise flip the dizzy's um part that goes into the cylinder head? good luck & let us know how that works.

I tried that, and couldnt get it to go in. It only wanted to go in that one way.

I dont think it could be the belt, because when the dizzy was going bad, it didnt happen all of the sudden. It slowly got worse. Now, I took the timing belt cover off and gently tapped the starter until TDC was at the top....the rotor was pointing directly at cylinder 1. Hrrmm....any other ideas?

Originally posted by 90crx_si+Mar 16 2004, 11:37 PM-->
SnailTrail
@Mar 16 2004, 11:28 PM
otherwise flip the dizzy's um part that goes into the cylinder head? good luck & let us know how that works.

I tried that, and couldnt get it to go in. It only wanted to go in that one way.

I dont think it could be the belt, because when the dizzy was going bad, it didnt happen all of the sudden. It slowly got worse. Now, I took the timing belt cover off and gently tapped the starter until TDC was at the top....the rotor was pointing directly at cylinder 1. Hrrmm....any other ideas?

are you sure you got the firing order correct??

Back