diy paint job

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dman1100

I've been wanting to sand and paint my 240 for a while because it has some hideous paint defects.(the bumpers may be ruined) i want to spray paint it but everyone gives me the "are you fucking nuts" routine. I think if i remove all the body panels i can get rid of the small rust spots, sand it down, and spray it in thin layers, it will look good and all most professional. I don't really want a flat finish but not metallic either, something stock. what color and finish do you all think would look good? and do you think this is even a good idea?

Just dont do it in the outdoors, try to use a garage. Also don't be lazy like me and run out of spray paint and then just leave the car looking like that for 7-8 months. Make sure you keep some money set aside to have it repainted incase it comes out like shit.

Originally posted by Dman1100@Mar 16 2004, 09:14 PM
I've been wanting to sand and paint my 240 for a while because it has some hideous paint defects.(the bumpers may be ruined) i want to spray paint it but everyone gives me the "are you fucking nuts" routine. I think if i remove all the body panels i can get rid of the small rust spots, sand it down, and spray it in thin layers, it will look good and all most professional. I don't really want a flat finish but not metallic either, something stock. what color and finish do you all think would look good? and do you think this is even a good idea?

If you want it to look good man, at least get a gun and spray it correctly. You can find some good deals on guns, infact look at grizzly, they have a line that might work for you. The paint will be the most expensive part, but with a gun, you will be happy with your DIY results.

Ian

if your gonna use a garage use a hose to wet the floor and tack the car before you paint

My friend painted his 89 Caviler(sp) and it turned out good. He sanded with 600 grit wet sand paper between each coat. He did 3 coats or paint and 2 clear coats. alltogether he spent a little under 300 dollars. Which is earl schrives or maacos costs but alot better quality. He is proud of it. And the only advice he said is let it dry for 24 hours. He didnt have his car for a week but was worth it. You may pay alittle more for the paint job beacuse his car was already primered. Hope this helps but hey this is just my .02

Just rent a spray gun for a week. It would only be a little more expenive than 198279120487198274 cans of spray paint and it would look nicer too. (and btw, make sure you put up painters plastic in your garage and wear a mask or you'll be sorry :))

ya u can rent a gun and the results will be better, but dont think that renting a gun will make your car look great. painting and bodywork consists of alot more than renting a spray gun to paint ur car with. ummm its St.Patty's day so im kinda drunk right now but if you are looking into this seriously and would like some good advise from a collision and refinishing tech pm me about exactly what it is u want to know and ill do what i can to aid u in creating a decent diy paintjob.

edit oh ya and.... :beer: :beer: :beer: im drunken posting...hahahahahaha

i'd paint it flat black if it was a coupe, but i think the fastbacks just don't look good that way. but i love project silvia in SCC

i sanded, filled, prepped and painted my trunk and spoiler on my mirage. ill post pics tomorrow. i used rattlecans, but i did a great job.

Rattle cans are for lawnmowers and shit that you don't care that much about. I vote do it the right way, and learn. You'll make mistakes, but your later projects will get better and better.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Mar 17 2004, 05:06 PM
flat black baby!!! :)

:D
s3e95a08a9eb1f.jpg

god i miss her :(

i HATE seeing unpainted body kits on cars. atleast paint them a color close to the color of your car, so it isnt as noticeable.

soon ill finish the rest. ive got some roof rust to deal with, then ill get the a-pillars and rear quarters. everything else removeable will be last, and im taking that horrible taped on side moulding off.

i think i did awesome for a rattlecan.

i'm gonna practice on my wheels. I'm painting them black. i'm thinking about keeping the center caps silver, but i'm not sure if it would look good without a polished lip

Originally posted by Dman1100@Mar 25 2004, 02:40 AM
those are nice. how many times did you coat the mirage? did you let it dry between each one?

i did 2 small coats, and 3 heavier coats of primer, sanded it down a bit.

then i did 3 coats of black, wetsanded it with 600 grit, then washed it down and air dried. then i did 2 more coats of black, and then 2 coats of clear.

Back