DIYperformance group forming

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sorry about the long post, but if you believe in DIY with your car/truck/motorcycle then read it. There's also cliff notes at the bottom if you don't have time, but I really suggest reading the whole if you are interested.

O.K., so I've been working recently on getting a car group together. To do so, I've been leaving letters on certain cars that I see wherever I go, along with word of mouth and advertising on websites. Rather than explain it, I'm just copy/pasting the ACTUAL invitation form that gets left on cars in this thread, so just read it:

Hi. If you are reading this letter then that means that your car/truck stood out from the rest, in either a subtle or dramatic way, but a clean and good job at the least. So we would like to invite you in possibly joining up with a new and creative automotive group. But not just any kind of car group, we are DIYperformance, a group for creative individuals who take the time and pride in doing their own work on their vehicle. Today you can basically go to any car show or track event and the outcome is always the same- whoever has the most money… wins. But where is the hard work and earned respect that founded this sport? If you are not a person who believes in progress by trial and error or are not willing to participate in building the project that you represent, then this group is NOT for you. But if you like a challenge, whether you are an experienced installer or just learning piece by piece as you go then please read on.

Now first let me state this: this is not a group for a specific “breed†of vehicles such as domestics or imports etc., nor is it just for the performance minded. We invite anyone who is anywhere from just having completed their first mod to people who are working on their fifth hot rod by now, as well as any vehicle (Japanese/domestic/Euro/truck/SUV/ and Motorcycle etc.) and every sport such as street, track, show, custom audio systems… whatever. Our point is that we want to combine everyone out there who has the pride of saying that they did modifications by themselves, because that is a big deal in this industry. We want to bring this “underground†together nationwide in any way we can. Day by day, we will grow into the LARGEST group we can where eventually anyone who sees the name will give the respect deserved to the owner of the vehicle because they know what it means.

How did this start?
Did you ever read a car magazine that featured someone who’s 17 years old with a brand new Lexus who’s put on $10,000+ in mods but doesn’t have the slightest idea of what’s under his hood? Well it’s way too true, and I don’t like it. For every one of these people there are a thousands of people who struggle with every spare cent and drop of sweat that they can get into their ride, all by themselves, only to be stuck between two trailer queens and not even noticed. Well these are the vehicles I look for. When I go to a show or meet up, I’m looking for nice rides with daily driver damage, cars that didn’t go from the lot to a shop and have the owner say “here’s all my money, make my car fast or show worthy so I can winâ€. What’s the point of having a hobby if you don’t participate in it?

How do we plan on growing?
Any way possible. As for now we advertise on many internet sites, we have word of mouth which is the most effective, or by planting cars with these letters. Eventually we would like to have apparel, plus definitely a website and/or forum. If you know how to do that stuff then we REALLY need you! As of now we can have decals/logos or windshield banners made, and just roll to the meet-up spots and/or shows and events and try to gain interest from other enthusiasts. Of course, we are always open to suggestions or feedback, or volunteer help in any way. We’ll soon be doing newsletters by e-mail, and whatever else we think of.

Are you already in a car club?
Good! That’s what we like too see. But we want you as well. This is not a club. This is a group. The difference is a club is the people you hang out with etc., a group is people in the same organization as you whether you know them or not. You can represent anything or anyone you want, but if you relate to us then join us as well, and get your friends in on it. Think of the DIYperformance logo as more of a badge so people know what you’re about. This is for your benefit first. You’re also not obligated to have to hang out or ride with other groups. We just want you to earn the respect that you deserve by being a part of an all Do-It-Yourself group. Whether you just want the small or large logo for your vehicle or want to take full part in every event and make lots of new friends in these sports, your participation is entirely up to you. Anytime something comes up, I will be emailing any and all details to every member. The only thing we ask of you is to tell your friends about us.

What to do:
Send an email to diyperformancegroup@yahoo.com , along with your vehicle(s) and current and future mods/plans that you did or still have to do. Let us know what inspired you, how you got started. We want to know about you too. Just send us that info along with your name, city/state, and contact info (email please, phone number is optional) Also, let us know if you would like your email shared with all other members (you can choose this at any time).
So if you are interested in what we hope to be the largest and most respected club that we can create, then we urge you to contact us. We also urge you to pass this letter on to anyone you know that you think we may be interested in.

Also check out www.civicland.com (even if you don’t drive a Honda). It’s a great and helpful forum. If you decide to sign up, just select DIYperformance in the referral box, and catch me, Brian.
We hope to hear from you soon. Thank you

UPDATE: We understand that almost nobody is skilled in every field, but if you DIY what you can do with the tools and experience you have, then your in. For what you can’t do, contact other members.

CLIFF NOTES:
A Group for DIY'ers nationwide
1. getting credit/respect/noticed for Doing your own work
2. Eventually having a nationwide group
3. All car/truck/bike friendly
4. You don't have to do anything with the rest of the group, you could just be in it to have the name on your ride, even if you're in other clubs OR you could meet up/ hang out... whatever

Amount of Participation is up to you and doesn't matter... The owner of the vehicle is the one who benefits having the name. If it sounds interesting to you, then read through it- I know... it's long!

I'll be doing updates and answering questions on this thread, but be patient, I have a lot to handle since I've started this!

Oh yeah, and obviously you don't have to be local. Thats why we are calling this a "group" not a club. Because it is nationwide. You might be rolling with a few guys from your area and see some other DIY-branded cars that you don't know- then chase 'em down and make some new friends!

Thanks Mike! I'm lovin ya. I don't know anyone on this board though, so your trust helps!!! I'm still waiting for you to say OK!

^so sign up, yo! I know you got some experience under the belt. You did an OBD-0 swap in an OBD-2 car. You had to learn something from that!!!

JOIN UP!

Update: I just changed the email to diyperformancegroup@yahoo.com.

Remember, a club is people you roll with. A Group is an organization filled with many clubs and individuals nationwide, most of whom you don't even know.

Big deal. I'll just stick to this site without ruining my nice windshield with some sticker. This site IS about DIY.

No one said you need a big windshield banner.

Please read the post before you comment.
ME said:
You participation is entirely up to you[/QuotingME]

But thank you for posting rather than emailing. Please keep all questions/comments on the thread- only email to sign up.

So if you (driverunknown) did all your own DIY's, then join in- we'd love to have you. You don't need window stickers. It's YOUR car, do what YOU want.

Thank you.

I'd like to sponsor DIYperformance with a product I've developed. I'd like to take this time to announce the triumphant debut of HonkeySpeed Lowering Blox. For $299 you get the complete lowering kit consisting of ten Lowe's cinder blocks painted your choice of Racing Brown or Kweer Kleer. You put 'em in your trunk. Your car is low. The pantyloons hit the floor harder than your mom diving for a ham sandwich.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!! holy shit...thats fucking hilarious loco...

holy fucking shit thats hilarious

When you sign up please tell me what site you found the info from. I'm just trying to track effectiveness of methods. Thanks guys, and thanks to those from this site who've signed up so far- we'll make this happen!

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Feb 28 2004, 07:33 PM
im all set with joining another forum, and i bet its gonna be all honda guys anyway.

Your a honda guy??? :huh:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Originally posted by Airjockie+Feb 28 2004, 07:43 PM-->
TurboMirage
@Feb 28 2004, 07:33 PM
im all set with joining another forum, and i bet its gonna be all honda guys anyway.

Your a honda guy??? :huh:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

no, but i do have a good amount of knowledge dealing with 92-95 civics and fitment of suspension and ES bushings. i do post that swap forum ocassionally.

Back