Does this sound like the wheel bearing?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Guy

Heading into town I goosed the throttle going up hill, at that point I hear a bad noise (the kind you hear on videos where people blow their engines). I guess i would describe it as a metal chunkish noise. In any case Power stopped going to the wheels. I revved the engine and engaged/disengaged the clutch but was unable to get power to the wheels. Pulled the car to the side of the road and opened the hood, everything seemed to be running fine. Back inside the car I put it into first and let go of the clutch, it didnt die. Looking under the hood (with the car in first and not moving) I can see the axel moving, but the wheel is not. As far as i can guess this seems like a wheel bearing that has gone bad, but I'm not for sure. Does this seem to anybody else the definite cause, or can somebody come up with something possibly different.

If the axle is spinning, but the wheel isn't than it could be that, or your spider gears inside the boot could be obliterated.

it not the wheel bearing, if it was that i would lock up or just grind like hell. you cv axle is shot or you stripped all the splines inside the hub. your going to have to pull it apart to figure it out. sorry man

Originally posted by 93civicsir@Aug 19 2005, 09:03 PM
it not the wheel bearing, if it was that i would lock up or just grind like hell. you cv axle is shot or you stripped all the splines inside the hub. your going to have to pull it apart to figure it out. sorry man
[post=542678]Quoted post[/post]​

And people say b16s dont have any torque :D

I guess the Miata gets Daily driver duty til i can get to a shop on monday. thanks.

Originally posted by Guy+Aug 19 2005, 11:58 PM-->
93civicsir
@Aug 19 2005, 09:03 PM
[post=542678]Quoted post[/post]​

And people say b16s dont have any torque :D

I guess the Miata gets Daily driver duty til i can get to a shop on monday. thanks.
[post=542690]Quoted post[/post]​

Take it to a shop?! For an axle... Jeesh.

Save youself the time and money by getting a new one for 50 bux.
It should take you 20-30 mins to do an axle at the most.

And if you dont have the tools, they should only cost you 45 bux for good tools.

Either way, your going to save money, and the time its in the shop.

Yeah man, It is super easy to change an axle.. Just depends on how difficult the axle wants to be that determines the amount of time it takes.

I hate.. HATE shops.. I had one good shop in town.. Honest mechanics, if you can believe that. They didn't screw around, they got the job done. BUT.. I bought a mitsubishi diamante that promptly (3 days later) broke down. The cam was binding. I took it to the shop, because if you have ever seen a mitsu diamante motor, is mounted sideways, and has an intake that covers the rear valve cover. So you have to pull the intake, and the valve cover, and it is DOHC, so you have to deal with that, all in an area big enough for a baby squirrel. So I was like screw it... I'll let the grease monkeys deal with this. $600 later, I have my car back, driving like a dream.. The next day, it breaks down... I decide to check out the bolts.. see if they actually removed anything.. NOPE.. They put on a new tentioner and timing belt and called it a day... Charged me $600. So I take it back to the shop.. They have it for 4 days. They charge me ANOTHER $600 which I threw a fit about.. But they wouldnt give me my car until I paid. So I paid. On the way out the owner said "drive that car careful!" I knew, right there, that they had fucked me again. Next day, broken down again. I paid a redneck $50 bucks to get it running and sold it off.

Fuck shops.

I do ALL of my own work now.. Those people were my friends and they fucked me that bad. I built their computer network for them, set up their servers, printers, shop computers, office computers, blah blah blah.. (its a BIG shop)... And I discounted everything. And did upkeep for free...

At least I know my stuff is being done right. The only thing I outsource now is machine work.. I just can't afford a machine shop. Oh, and exhaust work.. No tubing bender....

[/rant]

I dont doubt that i would be able to do axle, but the possibility of it being the wheel bearing is why im gonna take it to the shop. The place is actually pretty decent, the guy who runs/operates it gives pretty reasonable rates and lets me bring in my own parts. Actually with my last wheel hub replacement there was a bit of a debacle with me getting the wrong part. So he ordered the part i needed and only charged me what i paid for the other hub, when he could have charged way more (i used to get an employee discount).

NOT TRYING TO THREADJACK SORRY........but my dumbass friend has the same problem he is trying to tell me that its the cluch assembly how its a 96 DX clutch witha 93 CX tranny is he retarded or what he things it could be the throw out bearing...once again not meaning to threadjack but the last thread I posted no one responded! looks like everyone is responding on yours lol

Well, for not trying to threadjack, you certainly are doing a good job of it. also, consider punctuation, it would make your questions easier to read.

As to your problem, are you getting any kind of pressure on your clutch pedal? It may help to try and let go of the clutch in first and go look under your hood to see of the axle itself is spinning.

Originally posted by Guy@Aug 22 2005, 10:20 AM
Well, for not trying to threadjack, you certainly are doing a good job of it. also, consider punctuation, it would make your questions easier to read.

As to your problem, are you getting any kind of pressure on your clutch pedal? It may help to try and let go of the clutch in first and go look under your hood to see of the axle itself is spinning.
[post=543476]Quoted post[/post]​

ya sorry my friend just called me a dumbass for suggesting that so fuck him...thanks for the help anyways

wheel bearings lock up. i've never heard of one free spinning.

you broke the outer axel, from the boot outwards.

Back