Doing Your Own Swaps?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94delsoljjg

Many posts seem to be suggesting that you do your own swaps as the installation is a rip. (my estimate was $500) Just the fact that it's the ENGINE has had me scared to even think about doing it myself. However, is it that difficult really? If I had the time, engine lift, and someone with advanced auto knowledge to ask do you think I could manage? (My dad's friend races and works on Mustangs heavily... he would be able to tell me if something is wrong... though I don't think he's done any installs himself. He's more into dragracing old Mustangs, I think he has a 68 or 69)

if you have a warm place to work and time and a second car to drive do it yourself, its not hard but you need to have alternate transportation in case you end up needing a stupid part that has to be ordered

I have the time, can work in the garage... I think I'm going to wait til spring, though. Besides, I turn 16 and get my license Saturday... I can't go without my car while it's still a new thing, lol. I'd really rather spend the $500 on another mod so doing it myself sounds good. (plus, I kinda figured wrong when figuring the cost of a new engine into what I paid for the Del Sol... so now I might break about even with what I thought)

What are the helms manuals, SolReaver? I saw some guides on eBay... not sure if they are those or not.

If I can follow the directions exactly in other words there's little I can really screw up? I'm not very expirienced with cars yet but like doing little projects like this

helminc.com

its the owner of all service manuals, you can find how to do anything you want to your car in that book.

not only is it cheaper, but you learn alot when you do your first swap... like theyd suggest have a second mode of transportation because your most likely will need some sort of part, fluid or a stupid bolt from the hardware store.... it wouldn't hurt to have somebody to kinda guide you along so nothing gets majorly fucked up, in your case i'm sure your dad would do fine..... and a chiltons manual too

My dad's friend is the one who knows what he's doing... my dad knows absolutely nothing. The friend lives an hour away, so he'd be the one I call if I think I really messed something up, or to just check it out and make sure everything is in order. Since I don't know much I really want to learn... and I guess this is the way to do it... I just don't wanna fuck up my car!

What would you compare the difficulty of this to? (If I can do... then I can do this)

Right now I think I'll get the guides and learn about this stuff for a few months, then when spring comes ATTEMPT to do it myself. I guess if I can't do it I'll just be out the money to tow the car and parts over to a shop

Originally posted by SolReaver@Jan 20 2003, 10:39 PM
id say if you can change brake calipers and struts/springs, you should be able to do it.

i have done my brakes (kinda my shop teacher helped me alot) and doing my engine swap does not worry me that much, the springs and shit is what makes me scared.

you should be fine then!

its seriously easy, if you have tools, take your time, and you dont lose shit it will be all good

it was a lot easier than i expected

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 20 2003, 10:45 PM-->
SolReaver
@Jan 20 2003, 10:39 PM
id say if you can change brake calipers and struts/springs, you should be able to do it.

i have done my brakes (kinda my shop teacher helped me alot) and doing my engine swap does not worry me that much, the springs and shit is what makes me scared.

if you do springs have somebody that knows do the first one, then guide you for the second.... i'd hate you see your head get blown off..... a dumbass friend of mine tried doing it before and the spring blew off and smashed his collar and jaw bone.... but he was also a complete imbosol... you'll be ok, just be careful with it

wow your friend must have been a complete tool, I've seen springs fly but never bust someone in the face

Wow, I thought you meant a cylinder head... not the body part! (Ha, yeah I know it makes no sense, I was just skimming the post really fast) New semester starts next week, I'll try to get into some type of engines class... not that it will help too much.

Originally posted by Baker@Jan 20 2003, 11:18 PM
wow your friend must have been a complete tool, I've seen springs fly but never bust someone in the face

yeah, he's chewed on beer cans and cuts his whole mouth up and walks around parties claming himself to be dracula........ now that i think about it, i'm not his friend.. lol

Originally posted by ZAC@Jan 20 2003, 11:27 PM
basic auto tech would help alot

if your in HS, take all the auto classes you can, the second year at our school, we get to rebuild engines and do engine swaps (at our expensive for parts of course) but tons of tools and a good instructor

Back