Drag radials on the street

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
Im considering using 205/50/15 BFG drag radials on my car for the street. Not really worried about tire wear because of the minimal miles i put my car. However, I have heard that you shouldnt leave DRs on a car because it will flat spot the tires or make them get out of balance from the weight sitting on them. Anyone ever experience this problem?

I normally drive the car at least once a week... and im wondering if this is enough to keep the tires round. Any thoughts/input is appreciated.

they are VERY soft tires. If you aren't going to drive it every day, just roll it a foot so its on a different part of the tire every day.

as for life, expect 2500 miles out of them at best....

yeah 2500 miles AT BEST. friend of mine went through a set in under 1,000 miles. granted, they were hard miles, but still who wants to buy 3 sets of tires per oil change?

but why though? i mean, are you going to jump from light to light daily driving? why not just put a different set of rims on it?

because i would like more traction.... first and second are completely worthless and even third will spin from a roll with 300whp. not that im driving around boosting it on the street all the time, but when i do, id like to get better grip.

btw, i drive the car about 1000 miles a year.

i think your best bet is going to be jack stands. especially if it's in a garage when you aren't driving it. or you could just buy a $20 jack and lift it up and lock it. it wont last very long, but it would be quick and easy.

Theyll be fine in a garage. If you get flat spots they work themselves out quickly.

I run MT's myself, but Ive been told by ppl with BFG's (at more than twice your power level) that they hook good, and last for a while. Thats in DR terms anyways lol.

Run some R compound tires then if you want more traction with a little more life to them.

disagree. Rcomps are HORRIBLE for 'drag' ing with. sidewalls are too stiff.

Agreed. My buddy with an e46 M tried running his auto-x set with Rcomps when we went to a test n tune at a local 1/4 mile strip. Lost 3/10th on average with his 60'.

all the roads are very flat and very straight in south florida, not much need for anything but going straight.

got my new wheels in the mail the other day... still trying to decide how i want to refinish them and what tires to use. but i have some time, my block is just going to the machine shop today.

disagree. Rcomps are HORRIBLE for 'drag' ing with. sidewalls are too stiff.
I thought he wanted a tire with more traction than street tires to drive around on, not necessarily drag race on.

i would just get 2 extra rims and use for the drag radials doesnt take long to swap em off and on and drive on normal tires most action usauly hits on the weekend around here to even get serious enough to use em

Back