Drifffttt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Estorvito

Soy Boricua
I went to the track today for a drift show they had..I didnt take any pics.I left the damn Camera @ home...

But anyways..I was wondering if any of you guys have done that before, and how hard is it to do it.....

THere was a nice corolla from Syracuse...

I want to do it....I'll probably sell my bike and start building a drifter....Looks Like fun......

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 19 2005, 04:57 PM
didn't you just buy the damn bike???
[post=514006]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah.....THats How I am...I buy something and 2-3 months later i sell the shit...Im weird..everyone says it....

I kind of want to drift now....I LICK' it.....lol looks like lots of fun.....
plus i want a GSX-r, not a Yamaha.. SUZUKI>Yamaha.....

If you really want to persue this then i would gut whatever car you get, drop about 2k(give or take) in suspension and take a class that teaches you the basics. From what i heard even alot of experienced drivers have a tough time with drifting properly at first. GL with whatever you decide to do.

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jun 19 2005, 05:08 PM
If you really want to persue this then i would gut whatever car you get, drop about 2k(give or take) in suspension and take a class that teaches you the basics. From what i heard even alot of experienced drivers have a tough time with drifting properly at first. GL with whatever you decide to do.
[post=514010]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks
Now SO are you saying its mostly suspension upgrades and no engine work or BOth?

Your main focus would be suspension but you would also want an lsd. Other than that I think light engine mods and a heavy duty clutch should be fine for entry-level.

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jun 19 2005, 05:40 PM
Your main focus would be suspension but you would also want an lsd. Other than that I think light engine mods and a heavy duty clutch should be fine for entry-level.
[post=514021]Quoted post[/post]​

The guy i talked to at the track, has a nissan 300zx or some shit and he told me that his engine and all was stock but didnt mention anything about suspension.....
He was good....I mean really good....The shit would go about 70 mph and drift...
I was also looking @ the tires and they seem like stock ones to me...I dunno..!

What would be a nice car to start out with..?
I kind of like the 86-88 corolla hatch...They look Hott!

Basically anything rearwheel drive and 2 doors would be a good place to start. The car depends on what kind of budget you have. You can drift with the car being totally stock but you have to be pretty good to do it all stock like that, unless you have a viper or some shit like that. I really don't know that much about the sport,just the basics really. So for the more in depth questions you should really seek advice from someone who knows the ins and outs. I really dont want to give you the info if i dont know the answer you know what im sayin? But i will help in any way i can.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2005, 05:59 PM
here's me, sucking ass :p

first time out on a track...

27mb
https://hondaswap.com/vids/beaverun_b_1.wmv

loads of fun.

but IMO, building a car for just drifting is kinda weak sauce.
[post=514028]Quoted post[/post]​

Damn B...You shit looked like it was going about 5mph...lol..Ths shit I saw today was Nice....The guys were pretty good at it...
I see that you kept improving as you went along.....Good JOB.....
WHat setup did you have on that car. I saw a couple of those turbocharged today and the one guy i talked to had his stock....But then again his wasn't as fast as the other ones....

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2005, 06:02 PM
check out dgtrials.com too
[post=514032]Quoted post[/post]​

O shit..You know What..some of the guy there today had that sticker On their front windshield...
cool!

yeah, thats the officail dg s14.

i sucked, yes. i was open diff, and you can see the track was a mud pitt... front end just kept pushing.

plus, it was a go kart track, not a real road course track-- so it was kinda tiny.

either way, it was a blast. i'd do it again.... but i'd want a better car, better tires, and a lot more power. that 240 was a turd. lol

Yup That was them here today @ Lancaster NY....
I knew I saw the cars..They Even Have a small vid clip on the website....

Check em out.....CLICKY
Thats were I drag.....

Hey B. what kind of tires did you use on yours?

This is my drifting research...

For beginner level drifting you do not need so much engine horsepower. A well picked car puts out enough stock to brake loose and hold steady control. You do not want to find the crappiest tires with the least traction to use, you will only spin out or wreck. drifting rquired more control, thus you need enough traction that while spinning tires in a drift you can also maintain control, you dont want to just flat out loose tracion and pray your countersteering is enough, because its isnt half the time. The handbrake is used a lot to initiate the drift, and throttle to maintain angle and control. Good disc clutch or even mabe 6 puck would be recomended, LSD a must. Coilovers are good to have, cuz you cant adjust springs...duh. Brakes arent a bad thing to modify either. You never hit a drift track wide open hammered the whole time through. It usually takes about 2-3 days of good practice to learn the basics of beginner level drifting. the challenge isnt getting sideways, its staying sideways and regaining control. Body modifications are discouraged for beginners. they will just get thrashed.
good choice cars for the money are 89-94 Nissan 240sx S13 and Rear wheel drive corrollas (sprinter trueno) cuz of their excellent power/weight ratios. Specifically the 240 does not have to be sr20'd to drift. Drifter are starting to learn the power of the ka24, it puts out plenty.

R.I.P. HollowKA24 (Take care of it Jamin)

Good Info..WHere did you find it?

Did You use to Drift?

I think IM going to try to get a corolla..I talked to my buddie and he's willing to help me swap a rotary engine.......
I think is time to put aFor sale sign on the BIKE... :(

Drift.....Here I come/./.....

I have always been big into drifting. Always wanted to own a 240sx hatchback, finally got one, and the motor went pop, didnt have enough money to fix it, but luckily, somehow through a series of selling and trading my 240 made its way to the hands of my friend and owner of AJcustoms. So i will still be able to work on and see it perform. I used to mess around a lot in my friends cars in cali, im not any pro as far as performing behind the wheel, but ive researched and watched drift comps on tv and at car shows, and just kept my nose in drifting and you pick up info by talking to other people. if you ever go to a drift comp or formula d just talk to people and soak in other peoples experience and knowledge. Even though i have a fwd honda, i will still persue drifting in the future...

corollas are a good choice, i watched formula d and a corolla outdrifted the mopar dodge viper, the viper was too heavy, the corolla ended up losing though because he spun out on a horseshoe curve.

g4tv (formerly known as tech tv) covers the drift scene a lot now. They now do espn style coverage of formula d, just keep your eye on that channel.

first the corolla lost to the viper on a "one more time" round because his engine over heated and he couldnt run again (i have the clip, on my DVR, i just now checked it)

Second, dont swap the engine on an 86 corolla. People drift in that car for a reason. It is the best balanced car on the planet, you dont wanna change the weight on it. Just keep it stock, get you a set of GOOD coil overs and adjust your suspension till you get it right....and remember buy plenty of clutches...youll need em with the amount of abuse your gonna put your car through.

Back