Drifting not to be...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Punisher

It all happened when I was about to beat the red light, punched the gas on 2nd, took a turn, it was smooth at first, then the tyres took on a different sound, like grinding, holy shit, I applied throttle to get out of it, but too late with only 2 front wheels applying power, it wasn't enough. Both left wheels hit the kerb not going over but dead right at the side, the rear taking most of shock. The car as if had been whooped, wobbled a couple of yards, I got out and saw both wheels caved in, the rear wheel has a 45 deg. inward camber, the front wasn't that bad, but my 15" alloys were all dented, the chassis really took a beating, there was a dent half foot below the fuel tank cap though I didn't hit anything at all, all I can say I was lucky I didn't topple over, smash or kill anything in the process, but scraped a few concrete kerbs.

I just finished a D15B VTEC swap in my Civic just over a month and now this? Damn, I am getting broke. The chassis really sucks now I think, but the engine and interior condition is excellent.

Anybody has any ideas whether such damage is fully repairable? The rear trailing arm is twisted. The center frame between the rear control arms is dented upwards.

when you drive like a asshole, shit happens.

be happy you didin't run over a little kid, or spin out and hit someone else.

you cant drift a civic, dont even bother trying.
and you only have 1 wheel putting power to the ground lol

should be an easy fix, i doubt youd damage your frame like that.

post up picks. I can know for a fact your going to have to atleast replace your rear trailing arm as well as your front knuckle. Possiblly your LCA's too. Post up pics of everything, from under the car, with wheels off.

and of course, don't drift stoplights, streets are curved so the water will roll off. which means that when you drit a stop light you hit weird curves in the street. not only that but if you have to drift a stop light to make the light.. ever think of just stopping and waiting for the light to come around? I mean yellow does mean "HEY SLOW DOWN THE LIGHTS ABOUT TO TURN RED".. yellow does not mean "HEY HIT THE GAS AND CAUSE AN ACCIDENT!"..

the only time I would consider hitting the gas at a yellow is if you will not have enough time to stop. if you are too close and can't stop just go through it, otherwise go ahead and stop. if you had just stopped and waited a minute for the lights to go through their rounds, you would not have a fucked up car. you can blame no one but yourself.

you will see the tears of time.

Ouch. Post pictures! Replacing bent parts isn't a problem, but fixing the bent part of your unibody will require someone with a frame puller and some good measurement tools (body shop).

I have pics ready to post but read that I need to have 50 posts or more to do so???

Today I am only working on the back with a heavy heart. Took out the fuel tank (Still full) The compartment that holds the spare was "re-shapened" by the impact which was great enough to push the spare upwards snapping the holder bracket with it. The control arm was bent together with the unibody that hold the left arm. The aftermarket rear tie bar was screwed out of shape (must have absorbed some of the impact) The shock abs seems slightly bend.

I didn't want to look at the left front today, all the pics are for the rear. The fender seems caved a quarter inch from the front bumper. Gap between the corner light and fender seems wider.

The entire lower side skirt is caved by 2 inches.

Actually the unibody is slightly out of shape as I was hit by Merc at the rear left wheel sometime ago, the damage seemed superficial so didn't noticed until I went for alignment. So this is a chance to straighten it out.

I am going to look for a used rear trailing arm, any idea do I need to get one with an e-brake cable?

I am going to get new stock shock abs for the rears and using spare used ones for the fronts, any idea how low can I go with lowering springs on these? 1.5"? Stock springs currently.

you need 50 post to upload pictures in our gallery, however, you don't need anyposts to post pictures. You just need to upload them somewhere else. I use photobucket.com alot, as they are free, and pretty easy to upload fast.

[img ][/img] post pictures with the tags like that minus the space.

To me it sounds like its more then just some bent suspension peaces as your unibody is actually bent. In that case, its almost impossible to fix by your self and would be much more worth your while just to scrap the thing and pick up a new rolling chassis. It will be much cheaper in the end.

Originally posted by micah@Jul 14 2005, 02:10 PM
you cant drift a civic, dont even bother trying.
and you only have 1 wheel putting power to the ground lol

should be an easy fix, i doubt youd damage your frame like that.
[post=526160]Quoted post[/post]​

As for micah's uneducated comment please check out this link and comment!
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/t...%20Vids/cv4.wmv

Repairing the damage will probably cost more than the car itself is worth. Your alignment and suspension will never be right again.

alignment and suspension is an easy fix, thanks

only way it would cost more then his car is if he bent/twisted/cracked his frame, which it doesnt sound to me like he did

Maybe the damage wasn't as bad as mine because he hit the curb on his own (save it for the track Andretti). I was t-boned into a curb on a 3-way intersection. Some jack@$$ ran a red light.....

:linksucks:

Back in the day I had a friend that did that.. we got drunk and decided to go looking for chicks... We hit the shit out of the curb that was across the street from the house. Thank god we didn't make it far or kill anyone. It totaled his car.

Anyway, he bent the unibody and it was hell from there on out. 4 different body shops "repaired" it, but it kept fucking up... he finally "fixed" it one more time and sold it. He didn't drive like hell, it was just weakened from the first time.. Hell, they straightened it and welded in supports and all kinds of stuff and it just kept bending all over the place..

Sorry bro.. Learn to drive?

Yeah, you're kinda boned. You'd need to get that shit onto a straightening machine, and time on those is NOT cheap.

Just buy a rolling shell and swap your engine and interior over.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 15 2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah, you're kinda boned. You'd need to get that shit onto a straightening machine, and time on those is NOT cheap.

[post=526939]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah that damage pwns you!
get a new chassis

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 15 2005, 06:16 PM

[post=526939]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

That frame straightning thing is bullshit...It can cost you from 300 to 1000 dollars depending on the damage... For that price you might aswell get yourself another shell , like MR.Pope mentioned above...^^^

Back