DSL problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seany-izzle

k, wel ever since my father put dsl in the house andon the network, ive been unable to direct connect on aim, and share files on msn or yahoo. Plus, my download programs wont connect to the internet. All i have is the windows firewall (to my knowledge) and McAfee virus protection (no firewall softwere). Now, i disconnected my windows firewall and when i go to Network Connections, it doenst say firewalled, but the problem is still goin on. For instnace, whe na friend invites me to webcam on yahoo is says "A firewall has been detected on your copmuter. you cannot use yahoo webcam a firewall" or something close to that, and i disconnecte dmy windows firewall and got the same message.

What the fuck, how do i find out if im running another firewall i dont know about AND/OR how would i go about changing some settings ont he network comp to fix this.

thanks. :D

Are you going through a router? If so, that's your firewall... you need to open the ports that your program uses and point them to your computer from the router.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 11 2005, 03:38 AM
Are you going through a router? If so, that's your firewall... you need to open the ports that your program uses and point them to your computer from the router.
[post=523928]Quoted post[/post]​

I had a problem with my XP firewall.. it was retarded.. it was off and my brother couldn't connect to my brother in laws computer to play a game. First problem was they were trying to direct connect to each others ip, which they thought was 192.168.x.x., normally not a problem but this was across the internet hehe. but i digress, the firewall was blocking the connection.. turned it back on then turned it back off and suddenly it works. I will restate my firm belief that software firewalls are pure trash

And remember, sometimes you have to reboot for the new settings to take effect.

Yes. Your router should have some form of basic hardware firewall. You'll need to find out which programs use which ports and open them up manually via the router's web-based configuration utility.

Since you are there, look in your router's config for domain blocking... add these to your list:

ar.atwola.com
ads.web.aol.com
VTOT.proxy.aol.com
ads.aol.com
doubleclick.net
xupiter.com
xlontech.com
fastclick.net
instaconnect.net
satravel.co.za
advertising.com
adlog.com.com
rightmedia.net
burstnet.com

That'll block a shitload of ads from ever reaching your networked systems... not to mention the annoying as fuck AIM ads... no more talking movie previews above your buddy list.

Enjoy!

No problem. Whenever I come across an advertising domain that is popular with websites I visit, I just add their domain to the block list and they never bother me again.

if you dont have a router you can add that same list to the host file on your computer to block ads.

If you dont know where it is, just PM me...im on a WIN98 computer right now and i forgot where the exact location is.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jul 11 2005, 02:37 PM
if you dont have a router you can add that same list to the host file on your computer to block ads.

If you dont know where it is, just PM me...im on a WIN98 computer right now and i forgot where the exact location is.
[post=524151]Quoted post[/post]​

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

File is in there it is called "hosts" Imagine that

A cldean host file should only have
some text with # before the lines and

127.0.0.1 localhost

if you have more you probably have some spyware or something Unless YOU added the extra lines

on a USR router, where do we find that setting? Ive searched and could only find ip blocking and stuff like that, but no addresses..

yeah, if you cant find it on your router, you have to edit the hosts file...it does the same thing.

please don't block fastclick.net.... thats what pays for this site to run :(

no ads = i need to start charging a membership fee :(

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 12 2005, 09:07 AM
please don't block fastclick.net.... thats what pays for this site to run :(

no ads = i need to start charging a membership fee :(
[post=524633]Quoted post[/post]​

:blink: I still see ads on here, like the Raceup.com one and the one selling harnesses, among others.

Back