DVD Drive install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMPlaya

I installed a Verbatim DVD-R/RW drive, I hooked it up all complete, It didn't come with anything with a driver on it so that when

I try to "add a new hardware device" It finds nothing but my regular cd drive, anyone explain this?

I've tried the manufactures website, I got nothing.

Verbatim beats off on all their drives. Did you get a CD with burning software with it? Also try Lite-On drivers. Verbatim drives are basically rebadged Lite-Ons.

You shouldn't need a driver for it. Make sure that you have your master/slave settings correct on the IDE cable. If you bought a SCSI burner (doubt it), then you really need to learn more before randomly installing stuff in your system.

:)

Good call on the jumper settings - forgot about those little bastards. He's right though, you shouldn't need drivers, just burning software.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 10 2004, 02:15 AM
You shouldn't need a driver for it. Make sure that you have your master/slave settings correct on the IDE cable. If you bought a SCSI burner (doubt it), then you really need to learn more before randomly installing stuff in your system.

:)
[post=414475]Quoted post[/post]​

Can you explain more in depth please?

on the back side of the drive next to the IDE connector, there is a series of 8 pins, 2 of them will be connected by a small plastic-y block looking thing. on the top of the drive, it should give you an diagram of where the block should be. set it to cable select.

even before windows, in the DOS black box on boot up... it detects all your devices.

reboot
when you see shit, hit the pause/break button to pause the loaing so you can read it

if it doesn't list all your drives there, your cable is wrong, it doesn't have power, its jumper is wrong, or the thing is fucked.

cable select does not always work. its really dependent on the bios. with old AMI or even some aopen boards you needed to set master or slave.

or your IDE devices may not be automatically configured by bios. go in there and set for primary or secondary bus (whichever your dvdrw is connected to) and then master or slave.

recommended settings are save the hard disk for primary master, and keep both cdroms on your secondary bus, with the faster one as your master, slower as the slave.

Actually, you should have the two optical devices on separate IDE chains, since only one device on an IDE cable can be accessed at a time. Having them separate is better for CD to CD burning.

Assuming your computer has one hard drive, a CD/DVD reader, and now your burner, I would set it up like this:

Primary Master = hard drive
Primary Slave = CD/DVD reader
Secondary Master = burner

Set all the jumpers correctly, then start up your computer and go into your BIOS setup screen. You should be able to access it by pushing F1 or Del immediately on startup after some text starts showing on the screen. Look for a line that says "Press Del to enter BIOS" or "Press Del to enter Setup" or something like that.

Go to your "standard BIOS setup" or whatever it's called- usually the first menu item- and let it detect your devices. If they all show up you're fine- if not, one of your drives is probably bad. Once your BIOS is able to see all your drives, Windows should pick them all right up.

OT, mike- how would you set up this:

boot/os hdd
storage hdd
dvd-rom
cd/rw

i'm having some performance issues on mine. curious to see the way would put that together.

Primary master = boot/OS HD
Primary slave = CD-RW

Secondary master = storage HD
Secondary slave = DVD-ROM

The rationale here is that you won't be burning from the OS drive, you want fast copies from optical to optical, and you want fast transfers from the storage drive to the burner. You're probably not copying from the DVD to the storage drive that often, and when you are- interrupted data streams aren't going to screw anything up.

Once you understand that you can only talk to one device on an IDE cable at a time, it's easy to set things up.

This is how my system is set up:

Primary master = OS/games/temp HD
Primary slave = CD burner 48/24/48 Plextor
Secondary master = storage HD

SCSI 0 = swap file/partition, burn partition HD 10k rpm
SCSI 10 = news download HD 7.2k rpm
SCSI 1 = torrent download HD 7.2k rpm
SCSI 2 = movie stream HD 7.2k rpm
SCSI 3 = CD reader 40x Plextor
SCSI 4 = DVD reader 10x Pioneer
SCSI 5 = CD burner 12/4/32 Plextor

ok, what about throwing a serial ata drive in to the mix?
obviously it doesn't effect the ide cable... but i don't have much experience in them.

SATA operates on a separate controller - you should be fine just hooking it up. Do you have a sata controller on your mobo or a pci card?

some manufacturers conflict when they ride on the same ide chain. i tend to try to run one hdd , and one drive per ide keeping them seperated unless ur going to raid set ups. imo .. i had to different brand dvdrs on the same ide and no matter how i set them up they conflicted , and cancels both out, could have just been my board to but word of advice never hurts

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Nov 10 2004, 10:34 AM-->
ok, what about throwing a serial ata drive in to the mix?
obviously it doesn't effect the ide cable... but i don't have much experience in them.
[post=414679]Quoted post[/post]​
Originally posted by Battle Pope@Nov 10 2004, 11:25 AM
SATA operates on a separate controller - you should be fine just hooking it up. Do you have a sata controller on your mobo or a pci card?
[post=414691]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, just toss in a SATA drive and you'll be fine. If it's running on a converter to plug into a normal IDE cable, treat it as an IDE drive. If it's running on a SATA controller, each drive has its own separate channel so it doesn't really matter.

b204dr
@Nov 10 2004, 11:57 AM
some manufacturers conflict when they ride on the same ide chain. i tend to try to run one hdd , and one drive per ide keeping them seperated unless ur going to raid set ups. imo .. i had to different brand dvdrs on the same ide and no matter how i set them up they conflicted , and cancels both out, could have just been my board to but word of advice never hurts
[post=414705]Quoted post[/post]​

No, they don't conflict on the same cable. The drives don't "know" what else is there. Something is wrong with your motherboard, IDE controller or driver setup.

maybe .. but i had it happen twice .. with the same two drives on two different mother boards .. im a home trained computer guy.. !

Back