EF hatch anybody turbo'ed a b16?? help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Samuels

Okay i'm trying to decide if I wanna do a LS/Vtec or just turbo this thing. I really want to go turbo but i've heard its a pain in the rear and not worth it because of it not having room in my ef chassis. Who has done it?

How big of a problem is it?

Can I piece this thing together THE HOMEMADE way for around 1k. Maybe a used 14B or something along those lines.

I saw a t3 60 trim with 48a/r it comes with b-series manifold,internal wastegate, for 600.

I can get a starion FMIC and charge pipes are no problem,I have a dsm BOV. I'll need all my return lines etc and downpipe.

Will I have 2 put my 2 o2 bungs on the turbo header of my dc sports?

What would be my cheapest route for tuning?
Can I use just a FMU if so what psi?

I just wanna run 5-6lbs of boost safely.

1) ita very easy. I turboed my CRX with teh stock crossmember and a 2.5" downpipe. I still have enough room to use a 3" If I felt like putting that kinda time into it.
2)Dont buy a 14B for a b16. Also dont get that deal with the T# .48/.60 and manifold for $600. Thats a rip off unless you are talking about a ramhorn style manifold from lovefab or someone reputable.
3) I got my T3 .48/.60 for $125 shipped with very little side to side shaft play and no in/out play. A short tubualr manifold if you buy it premade would only cost you liek $350 max.
4)Do not use an FMU! Get a PS9 ECU and run turboEdit on it for engine management.
5)buy one O2 bung from www.atpturbo.com and weld it into the downpipe elbow (about 3 inches or so away from teh turbine housing).
6) you can easily do this for 1K. Are you going to be doig all the work yourself including fabricating the pies and such? If so, thast a big money saver.
7)I'm going to be runing about 12 psi on my turbo b16 come june 16th when I go tune, so 6 psi is gonna be cake for you.

What is a PS9? hOW DOES TURBO EDIT WORK? COST?

My main worries are the fitment of the turbo setup with my AC. And my main worry is fuel managment.

I can get a DSM sidemount and bov and all charge piping right away. I can get a 14b has well.

Will a t3 .48a/r be good for me on a stock motor with ctr cams running 6psi daily?

I will have to get a delsol radiater as well won't I?

And I'll need to relocate my battery?

Where is the cheapeast place to get all my lines?

What is a PS9? your ecu.....hOW DOES TURBO EDIT WORK? just like hondata COST? its free....

I can get a DSM sidemount and bov and all charge piping right away. I can get a 14b has well. yes you can...www.homemadeturbo.com is your friend

Will a t3 .48a/r be good for me on a stock motor with ctr cams running 6psi daily?....... sure but its not the best...i would use a t3 60 a/r....some might say other wise

I will have to get a delsol radiater as well won't I? ........yup or you can use a 92-99 aouto civic rad...for some reason the auto trans cars have thicker rads

And I'll need to relocate my battery?..... no but i would/did

Where is the cheapeast place to get all my lines?...... www.tunertoys.com

you should run a bigger turbo on a b16. i'd say t3t4 60-1 .63ar. my friend is running it and it fuckin moves

What car is the PS9 ECU FROM?
I assume I have to get it tuned professionally?

My dilima is this. I have about 1200 and I want gofast parts. I want a 13 sec car on street tires.

The car ran a 14.5 before the CTR cam install.

It currently has
CTR intake cam
Skunk2 manifold
dc sports 4-2-1
b&m fpr
iceman CAI
Apex-i catback with gutted cat

I have changed my mind continually the past 2 weeks trying to decide what to do and whether to sell it or keep. I've decided to keep it for now knowing i'll never get my money back so its gonna be my 2nd car driven on the weekend and at the track.

This is what i'm down to/

Should I just get me a wet kit and run 35-50 shot?
It will not be abused i've had kits before trust me just a few shits and giggles every now and then. This will be the cheapest at around 600 for a brand new kit. Anybody spraying a b16?

Homemade turbokit

Or a LS/Vtec
I have a 91 LS Motor but I believe it spun a bearing is this even useable i've heard not to?

I can still get this done useing the ge kit for around 1k and thats buying a running LS. I can even pull it and reinstall.

thoughts? ideas?

Boost it....

And Spray it....

After the LS/VTEC build.

J/k, I.M.O. right now, your cheapest go fast option is boost. Nitrous is good for straight line, but if you are tracking it, I would go turbo.

I don't autocross or any of that just go to the dragstrip every now and then. I usaully only drive it on friday and saturday night anyway.

Thoughts guys?

I wanna boost just the whole tuning thing has me worried because I won't have the cash to dyno and get somebody to tune it right away. And I've never even heard of a ps9 ecu and have no clue how to run or install turbo-edit.

I honestly don't thing a LS/Vtec is gonna give me what I want about 200hp to the wheels and a 13 sec car.

The PS9 ecu is from a 91 civic ex automatic. The auto lockup solenoid in teh ECU is used to activate vtec. I got mine socketed and chipped for $80 shipped from HMT.com.

If you use a 2.5" DP I dont see why tehre would be any problems with AC compatibility. It isnt necesary to relocate the battery, but if you dont, you will need to fab up the upper charge pipe with teh "s curves" in it. I didnt relocate mine, but I plan to after I clean my garage out of the back of my car.

I'll post up my dyo sheet in a couple weeks for you. B16A t3 .48/.60. Th epower made from teh turbo in all in teh compressor, not turbine size. I got this one, bc I wanted a nice power band with quick spool. It has both.

now running an automatic ecu on a 5speed wont that cause a problem??

Damn that is weird a automatic 91 ex? Why is'nt the pr3 useable?

And how did you go about tuning? costly?

Using the auto ECU absolutely will not cause any problems.

Your tuner will know what to do if it isnt already socket/chipped for you. Tuning is however much your tuner charges per hour. I'm paying $100 an hour to dyno tune, so that should give you an idea. I was gonna get a full street tune for $200( takes several hours).

Originally posted by Samuels@Jun 9 2005, 11:07 AM
Damn that is weird a automatic 91 ex? Why is'nt the pr3 useable?

And how did you go about tuning? costly?
[post=510134]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not sure on why teh PR3 isnt useable, but I thought it had somethign to do with the way it interprets signals or it isnt able to be socketed. I cant remember. I'm sure you could find that info on PGMFI.

Originally posted by Samuels@Jun 7 2005, 10:51 PM
What car is the PS9 ECU FROM?
I assume I have to get it tuned professionally?

My dilima is this. I have about 1200 and I want gofast parts. I want a 13 sec car on street tires.

The car ran a 14.5 before the CTR cam install.

It currently has
CTR intake cam
Skunk2 manifold
dc sports 4-2-1
b&m fpr
iceman CAI
Apex-i catback with gutted cat

I have changed my mind continually the past 2 weeks trying to decide what to do and whether to sell it or keep. I've decided to keep it for now knowing i'll never get my money back so its gonna be my 2nd car driven on the weekend and at the track.

This is what i'm down to/

Should I just get me a wet kit and run 35-50 shot?
It will not be abused i've had kits before trust me just a few shits and giggles every now and then. This will be the cheapest at around 600 for a brand new kit. Anybody spraying a b16?

Homemade turbokit

Or a LS/Vtec
I have a 91 LS Motor but I believe it spun a bearing is this even useable i've heard not to?

I can still get this done useing the ge kit for around 1k and thats buying a running LS. I can even pull it and reinstall.

thoughts? ideas?
[post=509430]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude.....SLOW THE FUCK DOWN.

Lets think this out, ok?

First, sell your DC header, B&M FPR, and Iceman Intake. They are, obviously, not going to work with a turbo. This will give you some extra cash to put towards tuning.

Second, I read in your first post, something about needing a second 02 bung in your DC header? If your going turbo, you no longer have one. (I'm sorry if that was just a misprint, but it sounded rediculous)

Third, a 14b turbo is way too small. Dont even bother. That turbo will destroy your top end. And a B16 only has top end. A T3 variant would be ideal. T3 Super 60 would be best. A simple log-style manifold with a T3 flange is easy and cheap to find. All your other DSM gear is fine.

Fourth, in terms of Turbo edit, your best source would be to research on homemadeturbo.com and pgmfi.org I'm sure someone on that site could burn a chip for you to use as a baseline. At least it will get you up and running. Then, when you get some cash, grab a wideband 02-sensor and go rent some time on a dyno.

Fifth, if this is going to be a weekend driver, why are you so worried about air conditioning? Scrap it! less weight = faster car.

Sixth, you shouldn't have to relocate your battery.

You could easily do this for under $1200. If you sell your non-turbo parts, you'll have some extra cash to throw at it.

Do LOTS of research. Turbo kits don't make themselves.

This is what i'm down to somebody help..

I found a brand new t3 60 trim for 400. I wanna find something cheaper.

I also found a place BMC thats makes b-series manifold for 135+25 for WG flange. Also thier 3 inch DP is 240 or 260 with AC. And a dumptube is 50 is this neccessary? Also a Bov flange is 10 so is WG.

I found another that has b-series manifold,2.5inch DP and dump tube for 500 shipped.

I found a complete turbo oil line kit for 89 shipped.

I have a DSM BOV,Sidemount IC,Piping already and can custom that no biggie.

Do I have to get a external WG?

Can I run a FMU temporary for a few months?? What do I need a 12:1??

Just trying to be cheap top get it in right now will upgrade has I go.

I also have a 14b what would happen if I used this turbo??

I'm not looking for more then 8lbs of boost right can I get a internal WG??

Experienced guys lead me..

I found a brand new t3 60 trim for 400. I wanna find something cheaper.

Sounds a bit expensive...you can find them cheaper. Search e-bay.

I also found a place BMC thats makes b-series manifold for 135+25 for WG flange. Also thier 3 inch DP is 240 or 260 with AC. And a dumptube is 50 is this neccessary? Also a Bov flange is 10 so is WG.

Dumptube is necessary. Watch the weld quality on cheap manifolds. pay careful attention.

I found another that has b-series manifold,2.5inch DP and dump tube for 500 shipped.

:thumbsup:

I found a complete turbo oil line kit for 89 shipped.

:thumbsup:

Do I have to get a external WG?

If your turbo is externally wastegated, than yes.

Can I run a FMU temporary for a few months??

Yes, but it's not recommended. Uberdata is free and a much better solution.

Just trying to be cheap top get it in right now will upgrade has I go.

ok

I also have a 14b what would happen if I used this turbo??

a 14b wont make any power up to your 7900-8100rpm shift point on your B16, meaning you loose your top end....the top end is where a B16 makes its power.

I'm not looking for more then 8lbs of boost right can I get a internal WG??

again, if your turbo is externally wastegated, you have no choice.

I dont remember how much stealthmode oil line kits are sghipped but they are $75 before shipping.

$50 for a dumptube is a ripoff. You can have one made for a total cost of $15 locally. Or even cheaper if you have access to a welder.

IMO 250 for a downpipe is outrageous...but I made all my shit myself...so I forgot how much people charge for this stuff. Plus I dont see how he is gonna make you an AC compatible 3" dp if he cant see your car and fab it up while its on your car.

If you cant get a tuner or afford tuning for a couple months, get an FMU. I have been driving untuned for over 2 months now, and its driving me crazy. I cant get any of my tuners free on days that I am, and then when I request off work for days they are free, they end up having to work or some shit happens. I really wish I had gotten an FMU for a temporary solution. that way I could boost 6 psi and not worry about it much.

that DSM sidemount will get heatsoaked. I hope you have some scoops laid out to bring air to it.

What injectors are you going to use?

I can get dsm 450cc injectors. Do I need them right away? fuel pump?

The DSM sidemounts are supposedly a better IC then even the starion frount mounts.

I'm getting a frontmount just not right away.

a bud of mine has a 98 DX turbo with a T25 and sidemount. He made scoops for his and it still got heatsoaked. even thought its 3.5" thick....maybe rig a puller fan to it?

Back