Effects Of Running Turbo W/out Charge Pipes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pub

Plan on driving my turbo without being hooked up to the throttle body 5 miles home. Not planning on actually getting the RPM's high enough for me to actually create boost in the compressor outlet. (So under 3000 the whole trip home)

I was wondering if the turbo would 'overspin' without having the charge pipes connected and if this would cause any long term damage to the turbo itself?

well i personally would not cuz there is always that chance, why dont u just take it off and drive home open manifold

I need to know how to do this as well, seeing as there is a good chance i will have to drive 300km to get to a decent tuner after my piping is done. I was thinking disconnect the piping to the TB, and basically cover that end with a cap of some sort with a small hole in it. Would that at least prevent the turbo overspinning?

I won't recommend driving without the turbo on or open manifold, the distance is too short to the head and cold air could flow back into the engine cooling it to fast and warp your valves.not to mention fire would be blowing out meltings things. if you drive slow withouth the charge pipe to the tb it should be ok. better if you put some sort of filter to the tb.

Originally posted by redtao@Mar 27 2003, 05:48 PM
I won't recommend driving without the turbo on or open manifold, the distance is too short to the head and cold air could flow back into the engine cooling it to fast and warp your valves.not to mention fire would be blowing out meltings things. if you drive slow withouth the charge pipe to the tb it should be ok. better if you put some sort of filter to the tb.

what the hell? haha

"the noise" ? What a pussy. If the wastegate is set properly your fine, it will still regulate the turbo properly charge pipes or not. It's probably still not the sweetest idea man.

riiiight...try telling that to everyone who has a short ram or CAI

Originally posted by pub@Mar 27 2003, 01:25 PM
for one.. noise.

plus theres quite a bit of meltable objects in my engine bay.

and you think open compressor is gunna be any quieter?

put some charge pipes on your car, and drive home

Originally posted by boostdGS@Mar 29 2003, 11:58 AM

wtf are you talking about? have you ever driven a car with no charge pipes and the turbo installed? all there is to worry about is a little bit of whistling....i drove 3 hours straight with no charge pipes and everything was all good

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Mar 29 2003, 01:08 AM
"the noise" ? What a pussy. If the wastegate is set properly your fine, it will still regulate the turbo properly charge pipes or not. It's probably still not the sweetest idea man.

DUDE. Do you realize that the wastegate references the boost level before opening the wastegate at all? No charge Piping = NO BOOST = NO WASTEGATE CONTROL.

Jeez.

I've seen cars driving around without charge pipes hooked up without worries. DO NOT get on it, DO NOT make it a habit, and you'll be fine. Take it easy, keep the RPM under 3000, less than 1/4 throttle, and take it SLOW. Pretend you're pulling another car behind you with a 15 foot rope if that idea helps you at all.

Originally posted by SiR Kid+Mar 30 2003, 05:13 AM-->
liquid00meth
@Mar 29 2003, 01:08 AM
"the noise" ?  What a pussy.  If the wastegate is set properly your fine, it will still regulate the turbo properly charge pipes or not.   It's probably still not the sweetest idea man.

DUDE. Do you realize that the wastegate references the boost level before opening the wastegate at all? No charge Piping = NO BOOST = NO WASTEGATE CONTROL.

Jeez.

I've seen cars driving around without charge pipes hooked up without worries. DO NOT get on it, DO NOT make it a habit, and you'll be fine. Take it easy, keep the RPM under 3000, less than 1/4 throttle, and take it SLOW. Pretend you're pulling another car behind you with a 15 foot rope if that idea helps you at all.

Set the wastegate at 0 psi nutballs

Originally posted by Bri94lst@Mar 29 2003, 08:20 AM

riiiight...try telling that to everyone who has a short ram or CAI

yo! man can i get slapped, forgive me on my post earlier, i don't know what the hell i was talking about. I work at night and when i posted that crap i was up over 24hrs and i thought he was talking about the exhuast manifold. I don't know why i thought that. that goes to show you what sleep deprivation can to you. get your sleep!!!

Originally posted by SolReaver+Mar 30 2003, 05:03 AM-->
@Mar 29 2003, 11:58 AM

wtf are you talking about? have you ever driven a car with no charge pipes and the turbo installed? all there is to worry about is a little bit of whistling....i drove 3 hours straight with no charge pipes and everything was all good

yea, actually i have driven a car with no charge pipes. MINE.
It's not safe, and what i meant was open out-let compressor, not the inlet, dumbass.
It would be ouder than an open downpipe, and don't even tell me that's quiet. So I suggested to NOT drive his car around, and stop being lazy and go out and find some charge pipes. I think he'd rather take the time to do things right, than risk blowing his turbo. I mean, how much could some charge pipes cost from home depot, 20 bucks with silicon connectors?

Originally posted by boostdGS@Mar 31 2003, 09:06 AM
It's not safe, and what i meant was open out-let compressor, not the inlet, dumbass.
It would be ouder than an open downpipe, and don't even tell me that's quiet. So I suggested to NOT drive his car around, and stop being lazy and go out and find some charge pipes. I think he'd rather take the time to do things right, than risk blowing his turbo. I mean, how much could some charge pipes cost from home depot, 20 bucks with silicon connectors?

ur dumb :thumbsup:

you recommend not taking the lazy route, yet say to go get some charge piping at home depot, with non- existant silicon couplings? silicone couplings are 4 bucks each and the are NOT available at home depot, trust me i spent 6 hours driving around trying to find some 2 weeks ago

and you wont "blow your turbo" as long as you keep it under 3k rpm and light throttle! damn read sir kid's posts ^^^!

Originally posted by heterosapian@Mar 30 2003, 09:38 PM
Sounds good. But nutballs? Isnt that a bit redundant?

yes, I was just retorting to his comment. I don't really dislike or discredit him - just poking fun.

Originally posted by SolReaver+Mar 31 2003, 03:22 PM-->
@Mar 31 2003, 09:06 AM

ur dumb :thumbsup:

you recommend not taking the lazy route, yet say to go get some charge piping at home depot, with non- existant silicon couplings? silicone couplings are 4 bucks each and the are NOT available at home depot, trust me i spent 6 hours driving around trying to find some 2 weeks ago

and you wont "blow your turbo" as long as you keep it under 3k rpm and light throttle! damn read sir kid's posts ^^^!

whatever you say chump, go ahead kid, drive around all day with no charge pipes, and have a good day.

and if you can't find silicon connectors anywhere, then you're retarted. Go to any decent hardware store. I got my friend some from a local hardware shop, and If home depot somehow doesn't have them, then go to a different store.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Mar 31 2003, 01:18 AM-->
liquid00meth
@Mar 30 2003, 09:18 PM
Set the wastegate at 0 psi nutballs

i've never seen a wastegate spring that is 0 psi :bash:

Ever heard of an adjustable internal wastegate actuator? Manual adjustment? rig something up? Don't be bashing me. I was just defending my earlier comment, it was not wrong - Sir deemed it necessary to insinuate that I had just suggested something that was an unimaginable atrocity - when in fact it was quite simple. Bottom line is, the kid should should learn from the suggestions. If you understand how the turbo system works, you can easily see in what and what not situations you could run without charge pipes.

Back