EK hatch for EG hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Luis998

Honda Enthusiast
Hey all. I'm stuck in somewhat of an ethical dilemma. There is a guy around here who has this beautiful EG hatch shell for sale. I am seriously contemplating offering to trade him my EK hatchback, which is also in great shape. The reason is, I really like EG's. :D I have an EG sedan and the EG hatch just looks great. I would also be able to do my later planned built up Z6 swap a snap, since it is already OBD1. He is asking $990 just for the shell, by the way. Let me know if I may have left any other pertinent details out.

Below you will find the "goodies" as he puts it, that it already has. Yes it is just the shell, which really does not bother me, since, if he wanted to, I would trade him shell for shell and temporarily (which would suck since it is OBD2) drop the D16Y7 in it. It is just a thought and if it does not materialize it will not be the end of the world. After all, my EK hatch is white, the same color as my EG. Thanks for your comments and opinions all. :D

94' Honda civic hatchback si shell with a lot of goodies stuff(GT3 rota rims and tires,fully Tanabe exhaust, adjustable suspension.
011513010210010308200804223cf2d230b6aef9795d005492.jpg
01151301041101030120080422dd6f36c9457a826e0e00ed3f.jpg
010101011505010201200804227fdc03f77206910aea00ee0c.jpg
01010101031101040220080422b63771996fae5df047003a1f.jpg

UPDATE: In case you miss it in the thread, the guy sold it, but did mention that he would have been up for a shell for shell trade. Shame. I really like EG's as you will be able to tell. :D Still, there is hope. Another guy contacted me about trading for his. We'll see where everything goes.

Last edited:
Not at all. Right now it is being converted to manual. That is all I have done to it since I got it. Heck, I haven't even driven it, as my mechanic took my cars transmission to put it in.

Hmmm, I dunno then, kind of a tough call. If the EK's in good shape and running then it's probably worth a lot more than the $990 this guy wants for the shell. It is a nicely-equipped chassis though. Did you say you've already got a Z6 to put in it?

Believe me, I know it's worth much more than the shell, but eh, I really like the EG. Damn fuckin' sexy EG's. haha I already have another Z6, yes, but it is not quite ready yet, though I could probably have my mechanic put it in there for the meantime. I was planning on at least changing out the pistons and rods, but it is in good working order. Shell for shell, chasis for chasis, would it be a worthwhile trade? Aside from what I like. Like you pointed out, it is nicely-equipped already.

in my opinion its worth it,,or you could sell the ek and have enough money to buy this eg and do a swap

you should see if the guy is even interested in a trade before you stress about it

i personally would try and sell the EK and get the EG shell with cash

See if he will trade if not that is when I would try to sell the car. Keep in mind with gas prices going way up the value of a hatchback with a 1.6 liter in it is much more to people who don't know much about Honda other than they get good gas mileage and another plus for you is your chassis isn't modded out yet. I have actually been wanting to sell my t/a to get a crx simply cause by the time I have it ready to drive gas will be like $4.00 a gallon.

unmolested ek is gold in another honda guys eyes...
sell the damn thing lol

Yea, sell it, great time of year to sell also.

Even with gas prices so high, I still find myself driving the truck more then the shitvic. Now I just need a job and to make some money so I can turbo it.

that eg's body doesn't look mint to me....

i wouldn't do it

White>Black for civics for me.

EK>EG as well .

All my opinion.

i would rather have an ek. but if you MUST get it, sell the ek and use the money to finish the eg.

in my opinion its worth it,,or you could sell the ek and have enough money to buy this eg and do a swap
I've actually tossed around that idea.
you should see if the guy is even interested in a trade before you stress about it

i personally would try and sell the EK and get the EG shell with cash
I wrote him an e-mail, so we shall see what he says. When it comes to selling the EK, I do not think it will take much effort, as I CONSTANTLY have offers for it. My mechanic is keeping it where he works, which is a junkyard (yes, it is safe from getting crushed or broken into..haha) and I get CONSTANT calls from them, asking me if I want to sell it. I wonder, since it is in good condition, and is currently getting converted to stick (minus the stupid head liner needs to be replaced) what a good asking price would be. It has 130,000 miles.

See if he will trade if not that is when I would try to sell the car. Keep in mind with gas prices going way up the value of a hatchback with a 1.6 liter in it is much more to people who don't know much about Honda other than they get good gas mileage and another plus for you is your chassis isn't modded out yet. I have actually been wanting to sell my t/a to get a crx simply cause by the time I have it ready to drive gas will be like $4.00 a gallon.

I saw a white CRX that made me drool. The body was in great condition and the guy wanted a little over a thousand for it. I swear, it's almost as if I wanted to build my own Honda fleet. haha You are very right though in people wanting Honda's for their gas mileage. Heck, my dad even offered to buy my car. haha I found him an EG which my mechanic should be getting this week for $500. He is going to look it over first and I told my dad that he would be a horses ass if he did not jump all over it. I said that if he didn't buy it, then I would buy it for him.
Yea, sell it, great time of year to sell also.

Even with gas prices so high, I still find myself driving the truck more then the shitvic. Now I just need a job and to make some money so I can turbo it.
Really? You're driving the truck more than the Civic? How come?

White>Black for civics for me.

EK>EG as well .

All my opinion.

I love white Civics, but this one just looks good to me, is an EG and has quite a few nice things already done to it.

i would rather have an ek. but if you MUST get it, sell the ek and use the money to finish the eg.
That is also another good idea. This one has been thrown my way quite a few times as well. It's just nice and convenient (not to mention, not too expensive insurance wise) to have two cars and work on one while driving the other.

Wow, that was quick. haha The guy just e-mailed me back, first time to let me know that he would consider a trade just for my shell, then just wrote me back and let me know that he had just sold the shell. That settles that. This is a good thing, as it will give me time to really think about all of the advice given by everyone. Ultimately it is my decision of course, but it does help to have others opinions, as most of you have probable been there at one time or another in some way.

For now I will continue on with my EK as planned and get the conversion from automatic to stick finalized. My dad called me last night and let me know that the master and slave cylinders arrived, so all I have to do now is wait for the shift linkage, which should be here by next Tuesday or so. As for the rest of the plans for the EK, for now, I will just have the head gasket done and thermostat replaced (since my mechanic rocks and is only charging me $100 for this, as well as replacing my brake pads) and that is about it. I do feel fortunate that I know this car very well, as far as what has been done to it and it's maintenance upkeep. The timing belt, water pump, tensioners, valve cover seal, grommets...etc. etc. have already been done, so it will make quite the reliable DD when the EG is being worked on.

I have to say it one more time, I'm still hooked on EG's over EK's though. :D

i believe crx are 2100lbs...
but yea a z6 would be quick

That's the one OBD0 car that I really like. haha I e-mailed another guy looking for a trade, who has an EG hatch. We'll see what happens. Who knows, perhaps I will end up loving my EK, as soon as I have it back, it has a Z6 or something else in it...did I mention as soon as I get it back? I should technically have it back next Saturday I would guesstimate, as my shift linkage should be in by Tuesday I am guessing.

Back