El Camino makes a comeback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sexy

07.holden.ute.r34.500.jpg

".. 3,981-pound ute .."

And you guys make fun of Supras ?

They have been making them for YEARS and they aren't selling well enough in Aus anymore.... so..... move it to the US and call it an Elcamino.

I'd rather drive a Subaru Baja. Actually I'd rather drive a Big Block El Camino, even with gas prices.

Welcome to 10 years later and safety equipment thats leaps and bounds better. Cars have been consistently increasing in weight over the years.

You've never even sat in one, have you ?

Airbags, ABS, door impact beams, safety glass. Maybe it's those antilock brake software updates that weigh 1000 pounds in a car that has no substantial anything behind the front seats ?

Maybe.

Also, no one said anything about this car coming to the US as anything. It's a Ute, and it's a 4 year old design at that. (before 4 years ago it was basically the same car, minor cosmetic updates)

I also think it's ironic how this thread was introduced by "MadMaxx"

You've never even sat in one, have you ?

Airbags, ABS, door impact beams, safety glass. Maybe it's those antilock brake software updates that weigh 1000 pounds in a car that has no substantial anything behind the front seats ?

Maybe.

Also, no one said anything about this car coming to the US as anything. It's a Ute, and it's a 4 year old design at that. (before 4 years ago it was basically the same car, minor cosmetic updates)

I also think it's ironic how this thread was introduced by "MadMaxx"

Sat in one... ? Supra, original El Camino, or this El Camino/Ute?

No, I haven't been to Australia lately so I haven't sat in the Ute. The other cars, I have.

Just read the article,
"Built on the long-wheelbase architecture of the Holden WM Statesman/Caprice, this ute's cabin is every inch as spacious as the sedan for its two occupants. Special thought has been given to storage space in the doors, behind the seats (a motorcycle helmet fits behind the driver) and even in a pair of telephone book-size compartments in the rear bulkhead.

Underneath, 77 percent of the ute's toughed-up structure is made from high-strength steel, a key to Holden's boast that the ute's torsional strength is within 10 percent of that of the VE Commodore sedan."

It goes on and on to talk about the miles of headroom and such. Its steel and spacious with modern safety technologies, you wonder why its heavy?

Go look up what a BMW weighs now or a Jetta.

Last edited:
I don't care about Aussie cars, or overweight sport utes. But leave the Supra out of this, for gods sake.

lol all this talk of fat cars and supras

all cars are on the fat side nowadays. VWs always seemed to be fat cars. I mean compare their weight to civics of the same years. One of the main reasons that i stayed away from getting a used golf instead of a civic was because it was so heavy.

as far as these utes are concerned, i dont think their weight is much different than the sedans they are based on. Either way they seem to have adequate power. The way i look at it is that its like having a truck without that annoying high center of gravity and shitty handling that comes with it. At the same time, however, u sacrifice offroad ability. So, once again it depends on what you would use it for. Personally if i needed truck like storage ability i would pick that. Except for the probably huge thirsty engines that these cars are equiped with, i rather like the ausie designs that are coming over to the states.

Listen kids..... whether the car weighs 1600lbs or 4000lbs the damage done to the person is almost 90% internal.

3 impacts, car into something, you into car, your internals impacting your skeleton.

that last part is what kills.

that being said.... lets just gut every freaking car back down to 2400lbs and cage the fuckers.

Listen kids..... whether the car weighs 1600lbs or 4000lbs the damage done to the person is almost 90% internal.

3 impacts, car into something, you into car, your internals impacting your skeleton.

that last part is what kills.

that being said.... lets just gut every freaking car back down to 2400lbs and cage the fuckers.

you have a point, and this aplies to colisions not involving other cars. a wall or barrier can be seen as having an infinite mass

however, if a larger car collides with a smaller the smaller car will undergo a greater acceleration as a result of that collision and so will your internal organs.

:eek: shit, i actually did learn something in college

on the other hand cars with a smaller mass handle better, thus giving you a greater chance of avoiding the accident altogether

i try not to think about stuff like that. if its my time to go i will go, be it driving a van or a civic. hopefully the airbags will cussion the blow. :)

Only Pontiac will get this version of the Australian-built Holden Commodore SS,

which doesn't really make sense from a marketing stand point, they could make it a chevy and call it an El-Camino.....

as far as cars getting bigger and bigger, my 92 accord ex sedan is about the same size, and weighs the same as a brand new civic si sedan

Back