eminent domain and the SLIPPERY SLOPE...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
City forces out 2 downtown businesses
Action follows high court ruling on eminent domain

Last week's U.S. Supreme Court ruling approving a Connecticut city's plan to take private land by eminent domain may seem far away.

But to John Revelli, whose family has operated a tire shop near downtown Oakland for decades, the implications hit home on Friday.

A team of contractors hired by the city of Oakland packed the contents of his small auto shop in a moving van and evicted Revelli from the property his family has owned since 1949.

"I have the perfect location; my customers who work downtown can drop off their cars and walk back here," said Revelli, 65, pointing at the nearby high- rises. "The city is taking it all away from me to give someone else. It's not fair."

The city of Oakland, using eminent domain, seized Revelli Tire and the adjacent property, owner-operated Autohouse, on 20th Street between Telegraph and San Pablo avenues on Friday and evicted the longtime property owners, who have refused to sell to clear the way for a large housing development.

The U.S. Supreme Court's 5-4 decision last week paved the way for local governments to buy out unwilling property owners, demolish homes and businesses, and turn that land over to new owners for development. Last week's ruling expanded on earlier decisions that allowed agencies to take property only if it is considered "blighted" or run-down.

more on the link...
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...BAGO4DI6GJ1.DTL

i still say people are stupid to fight it.

i'm sure they offered them MORE than what it was worth anyway.

and even with the whole "all my customers are right there" defense, i'm sure there's something else close by-- and guess what-- the new high-rise will DOUBLE your business.

98% of the time when you are asked to sell by the state/city/etc, ask for a little more than what they offer-- take it or the top, because its for the best anyway.

Fung and Revelli said the money offered by the city, about $100 per square foot plus relocation costs, was insufficient, saying the real estate boom has priced them out of nearby properties. They own their properties outright and have operated with low overhead.

The two properties, which total 6,500 square feet

6500*100=650,000

$650,000 for 2 businesses located in a busy downtown metropolitian area with an established customer base centered on this particular locale seems like they are getting ass raped to me...

650,000 just for 2 pieces of downtown metro land seems kinda way below market value... but then again, i don't know that market...

Yes, I'm sorry - I forgot to renig on my previous position with Imminent Domain.

They are paying Appraisal plus Mill for the properties. This is substantially (In a home in CT, it could be half) the value of a home.

This decision is dead, flat-out wrong of the supreme court and will be until enough people say no.

-> Steve

subsidized by $61 million in city redevelopment funds

this is the kicker right here...

basically they are paying the developers to kick these people off their land...

using taxpayers money to force other taxpayers to move from their well established business locations...
to make room for some apartments and condos...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 5 2005, 02:26 PM
subsidized by $61 million in city redevelopment funds

this is the kicker right here...

basically they are paying the developers to kick these people off their land...

using taxpayers money to force other taxpayers to move from their well established business locations...
to make room for some apartments and condos...
[post=520869]Quoted post[/post]​

The unfortunate thing is that someone is going to die over this and it's mostly likely NOT going to be the person(s) that cause it. I.e. the sappy construction worker doing their job and not a justics or mayor.

Practice a scorched earth policy.

lol
thats a good idea, but you need some serious shit to make land not usable anymore...

all topsoil can be scraped and replaced...
you would need some radioactive waste to have any chance of making that land unusable...

they could always get some endangered species living there.... thereby making it a protected enviroment...

[Antischism]Every dozer that we wreck, cost them thousands to replace [/Antischism]

Monkeywrench people, monkeywrench.

step 1: hold a going out of business sale of some sort-- sell shit slightly cheaper-- that way you can uload a lot of product, and not make it noticable.
step 2: unload a lot of product out the back door as well. step1 covers this up.
step 3: call in a hit for some arson with the mafia or some shit.
step 4: collect fire insurnace
step 5: give in to eminent domain, and take the additional cash.

why not?
they were just going to tear it down anyway.

yeah, it screams foul play.... lol but i bet if its done right, it could get balmed on a developer, and the insurnace fraud wouldn't fall on the store owner.

People in california won't take kindly to this, I'm sure of it.

They might get away with it on the east coast but people are far too outspoken over here.

at the moment of a sale it's very suspicious, and never ends well, to perform Jewish Lightning on the building.

-> Steve

I woulda hated to be that city official.

"Umm sir. We are taking your property. Here's your money, goodbye."

"BITCH, WTF." *Old man grabs tire iron* "I got your 'im takin your shit' right here!!" *Old man beats offical to death and hides him in work pit*

The next day.

"What eviction notice. No one ever came down to my shop."

Back