Engine attributes questions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rallyred04

These questions come from a class I am currently taking. I figured this would be a good place to get some feedback. Thanks for your responses.

What would you considered most important in an engine? Please list the following in the order of importance to you.
1. Weight
2. Volume
3. Fuel Economy
4. Reliability
5. Durability
6. Cost
7. Noise and Vibration
8. Performance
9. Service Requirements

Would you prefer more top speed or a lower 0 to 60?

Have you ever blown an engine? If so, how did you do it? Were you racing, tuning, etc.?

If you currently own a performace 4 cylinder engine:

A. How satisfied are you with the fuel economy?

1 = Too good! I would trade anything for more power.
2 = Good enough.
3 = Would like it to be better without sacrificing power.
4 = Would like it to be better even if it means a little sacrifice in power.

B. What is the current horsepower and fuel economy rating?

C. What is your ideal horsepower and fuel economy rating?

D. Is horsepower more important than torque?

wow big question.

1.cost(to much not worth it)

2.reliability/durability(gotta last for it to be worth it)

3.preformance(gotta have a reason to buy it)

(weight, volume, service would be in with 3-4)

4.fuel econ.

5.noise

now these are if i were the car maker not the buyer. but close if i were buying.

i have a gsr b4 it was a d15pos and its got alot better 0-60 but screams top end and there are a few nice mile long strips you can blow down(and its my daily). but for a track car def 0-60

nope. well technecly i did cuz i turned the key but it was fucked b4 i got to it. my boys car broke down and we went to "fix" it and it went pop not sure what it is yet. and my boy blew his by getting water sucked in threw his cai :(

A: like i ssaid i have gsr good low end tq so if you keep it under 4400 gas is good and you can get around.

B: you guestemate. its stock with a chipped ecu shortram and rsr straight pipe no ac no ps. dont knwo how much i loose from the tranny but i got maybe 10 more ponies than a stock one. and i have no clue what my mpg is cuz my tach is in km

C: id say 200ish hp and 30 ish mpg would be good

D: saw a quote that says it all, "Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races."

Well I had good reponses to everything but i lost it all.. to put it shortly..
Reliability, Durability, Service Requirements come first
Weight, Performance comes second with Performance being first
Noise and Vibration, Fuel Economyand Cost are third depending on your key demographic
Volume is dependant on the size of vehicle.

0 - 60 is better while not sacrificing optimal ratios for lower 0 - 60 times.

No I have never blown an engine.

A:1
B: 127HP factory rated - and 35 MPG with daily constant 7000 RPM revs
C: I deally it would be a 10:1 weight to power ratio. so 2000lb car with 200 WHP that gets aleast 30MPG
D: Horsepower is based on torque so no.. but actually horsepower is based on how fast a mine pony can pull a specific amount of weight a certain distance.

1. 8. With a high performance motor, you'll experience a pleasant and confident operation at daily levels. No motor ever went "bad" from factory blueprinting and higher tolerances. It's a good thing all around.

2. Lower 0-60. The torque matters in my daily world. Highway entrances, passing and even light-footed stop light launches are important to me.

3. Blew engines racing and limping a known bad car home.

4. I have 3 very different (performance) 4 cylinder motors, and they all perform dramatically different. the SOHC Toyota 4 cylinder is built for low-RPM driving and offroading. It performs it's job very well. I have a DOHC Honda motor for racing / high speeds. It gets incredible gas mileage (for what it is) and I have a Turbocharged Boxer motor and it guzzles gas, for what seems like not too much better than the other motors.

A. SOHC 2.4 liter Toyota i-4: 1
DOHC 1.8 liter Honda i-4: 1
DOHC 2.0 liter Subaru Boxer: 3 (Who doesn't want more power at no cost?)

B. SOHC 2.4 liter Toyota i-4: 205@3500 25-30 mpg
DOHC 1.8 liter Honda i-4: 160@5250 30-38 mpg
DOHC 2.0 liter Subaru Boxer: 220@something 15-20 mpg (UGH)

C. SOHC 2.4 liter Toyota i-4: 230 30 consistent mpg
DOHC 1.8 liter Honda i-4: 220 30-38 mpg (pretty damned happy)
DOHC 2.0 liter Subaru Boxer: Same 22-28mpg

Without Torque, there is no horsepower. When an engine rates a higher torque than HP, life is good. Also, low-RPM is my preferred behavior

Originally posted by erikespo@Jul 5 2005, 09:08 AM
C: I deally it would be a 10:1 weight to power ratio. so 2000lb car with 200 WHP that gets aleast 30MPG
[post=520674]Quoted post[/post]​

I can totally agree with this statement. When a car is lightweight, the amount of room engineers have to build a highly efficient motor with relatively low power increases. Lightweight wheels, brakes, flywheel and axles go a long way to releasing that power. That's why the more intelligent of us are seeing both power and mileage gains - Keep it light weight and keep the motor in it's prime power curve.

-> S

First off, I don't own a 4-cylinder anymore, so I'll answer based on my 8-cylinder engine and my old 4-cylinder as well.

Originally posted by rallyred04@Jul 5 2005, 05:39 AM
These questions come from a class I am currently taking.  I figured this would be a good place to get some feedback. Thanks for your responses.

What would you considered most important in an engine? Please list the following in the order of importance to you.
1. Weight
2. Volume
3. Fuel Economy
4. Reliability
5. Durability
6. Cost
7. Noise and Vibration
8. Performance
9. Service Requirements

4, 5, 8, 3, 6, 7, 9, 1, 2

Better Acceleration.

Have you ever blown an engine? If so, how did you do it? Were you racing, tuning, etc.?

In the typical sense, no, but the timing belt went out on my old CRX while I was driving.

2 = Good enough.

OLD ENGINE:
A. Yes, was very satisfied. Definitely a 1.

B: It was rated at 107 flywheel HP, I was seeing 35 reliable MPG. (87 Octane)

C: Ideally, I'd have had 200 HP at the wheels and 25-30 MPG.

D: No. Torque is much more valuable in daily driving habits.

NEW ENGINE:
A: Going from 35 MPG to 20 if I'm lucky is pretty harsh. I've got enough power, I'd like to see some more MPG. 4.

B: It's rated at 305 flywheel HP, seeing 17-20 MPG. (91 octane)

C: Ideally, I'd retain current HP, but gain at least 5 MPG.

D: Same.

[post=520650]Quoted post[/post]​

Look at us all on a Honda forum talking about how much we love torque :)

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 5 2005, 10:21 AM
Look at us all on a Honda forum talking about how much we love torque :)

-> Steve
[post=520773]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, it's almost like dangling a twinkie in front of the fat kid's face while he runs.. :lol:

Originally posted by rallyred04@Jul 5 2005, 07:39 AM
These questions come from a class I am currently taking. I figured this would be a good place to get some feedback. Thanks for your responses.

1. Weight
2. Volume
3. Fuel Economy
4. Reliability
5. Durability
6. Cost
7. Noise and Vibration
8. Performance
9. Service Requirements

I think that in my van I would prefer it to have a higher top speed

but for my nissan it would be a lot better if I could get a sub 4 second 0-60

Yes, 318s arent meant to run to 7 grand, I was offroading, its what is in my jeep, and I missed a shift and something happened my foot automatically went back to the throttle and I heard a loud shearing and then a pop

I dont know if you would call it performance, but...

35 when I am on the highway and probably 27 or 30 depending on how I drive around town and how upset I get with the idiots around me. so.... 2

2 = Good enough.

172, but that is not dyno proven and I guess you want as low as it gets so the days I went to several events I was running about 26, I would give up 10 or 15 horses if I could get the torque above the 160 mark..

300hp 25mpg

on a bike... maybe... in a car NO!

[post=520650]Quoted post[/post]​

Back