engine swap opinions... what to go with???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dc4dude

ok dudes, here goes... i noticed my car cranking kinda funny a couple weeks back... didnt think much of it... then it started having a flashing cel while idling... had a cyl 3 misfire... so i swapped out the spark plugs, and they were looking worn out... no big deal, swap in a new set of iridium ngk's... the the code came back, cel flashing once again... checked the wires, cap rotor... nothing... did a compression test... and was as follows;
#1-175
#2-175
#3-135
#4-170...
so it would seem i have either burned valves, or worn piston rings... the car has 170,00 miles, i have replaced the valve guides, head gasket, valves, springs, retainers, cams (oem).... rather than rebuild, im going to go with either a b20 or another b18... i dont want to bo vtec with this car, its my daily, winter/family car... what would you guys go with????
other mods include type-r lsd trans, type r suspension, energy suspension bushings, type r rear sway bar, strut tower braces, and lower tie bars... and a bunch of other shit i did to it before the wife, kids, and all my time was taken away...i am on a budget now... that sucks, but what can i do?????? thanks for the info guys... the car still pulls decent right now... i lik the way she drives now, just need the oil consumption and the misfire to go away...

there is an importer here in chicago, eric japan- that sells the b20's for $600, plus tax. so there's no shipping fee...he is out of b18's at the moment... i have driven b18a and b's... never have experienced b20's as far as driveability... how do they compare to each other? pro's? cons?

the 99 spec B20s produce similar peak HP and Tq numbers to the B18B
146 @ 6200 / 133 @ 4200 - vs - 142 @ 6300 / 130 @ 5200

but the B20 makes more tq throughout the range below the curve

so for day to day driving the B20s flatter tq curve will feel more powerful

i looked around but i cant find a direct comparison dyno sheet to show the difference in power curves

ITR transmission? Whats the final drive?
Do you do a lot of highway for DD?
What was the rpm in 5th@70mph?

A B20 would be a torque beast with that transmission. It'll pull off the line pretty hard. But I would not want to do a bunch of highway with that set up.....just me though.

at 80 on the highway, it spins about 4500 rpms... and i would go with the b18, but the engine place is currently out of them, and is giving me a killer deal on the b20... with 3 months warantee!!!!!

its funny you should mention itr engine, cuz i just sold it to my cousin for his "seafoam green" eg hatch... just dont see a reason to put it in this car...

nah, its not that. i just dont think this car is worth doing all that to... i originally wanted to go all out on this car... but then, i got hold of the car's history... side swiped, rear ended, front collision, t-boned... and its starting to rust.... i want to start with a clean, rust free shell... THEN i want to go all out with an itr everything, boost, nitrous, the works. but on this car, it has been put on the back burner, labeled as my daily... life happenned too, the girlfriend became my wife, then we had my son, then my daughter.... now she wants a minivan... (god help me)

Back